Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla really needs to step up their SUV game (BMW iX impressions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My situation is I'm getting divorced, and I either need to refinance my current car or get a new one. Today I test drove a 2024 BMW iX and I left blown away.

Yes, it's a little smaller (5 seats vs. 6, but considerably more useable cargo area). It lacks air suspension (they stopped that after 2023 apparently). It's not quite as fast to 60mph (I tested).

That said, the interior comfort is on a completely different level. Real leather seats with a decent massage function, the ability to change bolster shaping, outstanding sound system (I tested the Bowers & Wilkins upgrade w/ the bass shakers in the seats), the list really goes quite a bit on.

The HUD was excellent, as was the parking camera and a few other little features the X lacks. Car Play on a big, wide screen is just great. There isn't a back screen but after having that for a year in the X I'm convinced it's not a value add in any way.

The handling is considerably better, and the drive overall is very nice with much better road noise isolation than a model X.

It might not be your taste or whatever, but the important point is this: I can get a lease of an absolutely loaded out iX for less than I pay for my X currently. It's a better car in almost every way. I'll miss the windshield, and air suspension, and.... that's about it TBH.

I'm a huge Tesla fan, but IMO they really need to step up what they're offering for six figures if they want to stay competitive.

52469378699_4fcf33e855_b.jpg

"BMW iX electric SUV in Costa Rica" by mariordo59 is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Wow - that much off a new iX? Wonder if that is regionalized? Might have to look into those on a lease.

Multiple Autobrokers can find you a dealer anywhere around the country

You can click on links above and see how the lease deals are structured

Too much supply.

YoY registration growth in the US was 68% but EV supply vastly increased and dealerships and carmakers are offering incentives.... much like how Tesla is discounting cars in the inventory page.

If you want to see horrible depreciation... go look at Polestar 2s. A rental agency dumped their fleet and flooded the used market.
That too. I think some of these manufacturers forgot their core profit-squeeze market was the $40-70k range and have been chasing those upmarket rainbows thinking the inflation would mean their customers get richer too...

Reactions: alexgr
Until very, very recently, buying a $100,000 German car meant you had a $70,000 German car a year later. A $90k equivalent domestic would be worth $55k ina bout the same amount of time...

Our E63 AMG was $112,000 new in 2015 and we purchased it for just over $60k in 2018 with 27,000 miles on it, with a CPO warranty that expires this month.

This pricing is nature healing. Complicated, expensive cars that are expensive to fix depreciate quickly while in warranty and meteorically when out of warranty. What's been going on lately has been the bizarre residue of ":unprecedented times" and cartel-like behavior in the used car space in the past couple years with aggregators and huge sums of capital flooding the space for nationwide dedicated chains to jump off as the Next Big Thing *cough carvana cough*

And of course, the more expensive, uglier and more unloved a new car is when new, the more precipitous the depreciation...Bentayga I'm looking directly at you. iX might be worse than Bentayga in that regard...

If you hoped to make money on your new $100k+ vehicle, and it's not a Porsche GT car or similarly niche low volume car with reliably rabid, moneyed, fanboys, I wish you luck in this year's hunger games
You think the same will apply to high end EV’s? Can one person like Musk control EV pricing across the board?
I understand the ICE vehicles; Also agree about the prestige name brand of Porsches and similar.

Why do Lexus high end sedans hold their values best?

You think the same will apply to high end EV’s? Can one person like Musk control EV pricing across the board?
I understand the ICE vehicles; Also agree about the prestige name brand of Porsches and similar.

Why do Lexus high end sedans hold their values best?

It's because Lexus/Toyota maintenace expenses are not expected (perception?) to rise so quickly. Same with Tesla. That's what the saying "Good as new" means.

A legacy 2021 (yes, it really is a 2021, that's what it says on the VIN sticker and registration paperwork) Model X that sold for $85k new in December of 2020 (mine) is now worth $70k, tops, with a few dozen thousand miles on it. Tesla may want to charge you $78k for one on their website, but that's not what the market will actually bear out there in the real world

There are many, many examples of the 2021+ refresh Palladium X/S selling for $10k+ below MSRP used on Autotrader right now.

Same goes for Taycan, Audi Etron, EQS, etc. There are numerous lightly used Taycans on Autotrader right now selling for 30-50% off MSRP, still under factory bumper to bumper warranty.

So yes, higher-end EVs will also depreciate, and are depreciating as we speak. The market for $100k+ new cars is small, the market for spending $100k on a used car is even tinier, and the fraction of people willing to spend that much money on a used EV tinier still.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msicario