Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X LR vs. Model S LR vs. BMW iX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2022 Model S LR was flooded on New Years's Eve. Today's insurance verdict: total loss. I have been driving the car for a year and it's been a blast and true pleasure -- except for the 7 service visits within these 12 months. Despite the atrocious build quality, I am thinking of getting a Model X LR 6-seater as a replacement as I have a 9 y.o., a 3 y.o. and now an infant.

- Model S LR 0 to 60 is 3.1 seconds and I love it -- I don't need Plaid. Model X LR 0 to 60 is 3.8 seconds. Will I notice the difference? I never race and never go to track, but I do want to maintain the same emotion when pushing the accelerator. Anybody has experience driving Model S LR and Model X LR?
- Also considering a BMW iX as a replacement. Love the BMW build quality, drove 3 series and 5 series prior, but no super charging, shorter range and no Tesla high-tech turn me off. Thoughts?
- Also considering another Model S -- tilting front screen and, apparently, bigger rear screen now, right? Is the build quality any better compared to a car produced in January 2022 or is it all the same and basically a crapshoot?

If this thread belongs to another forum section, moderators please feel free to move or let me know and I'll repost.

Family of 5? Model X no doubt.

I came from a 3 with two tweenagers. Needed to get into a bigger car. Sat in a refresh S, felt literally the same (yes I know they are different). Went to the X and am so glad I did. The extra row and space is VERY much appreciated.

With the instant torque feeling I doubt you'll really be able to tell much of a difference of the 7ths of a second. I have a Model 3 Performance, 0-60 ~3.1s. I had a Model 3 AWD with Acceleration Boost as a loaner while my 3 was in service. It's 0-60 is claimed to be ~3.8s. I was unable to differentate the feeling of acceleration from the two. Only a stop watch or a race dig with both cars side by side would be able to tell the difference.

Reactions: Pho3k
While the Model S is perhaps the most beautiful and versatile car in the Tesla lineup, the X has it's own charms. It simply is larger, and offers more capabilities. The extra weight can be felt during acceleration and cornering. It feels more like a grand touring version, while the S is the Sport version.

Your family will love the extra space, room to move around and greater visibility from sitting up higher. Falcon wing doors are great for kids getting in and out, as well as making installation of child seats a breeze. You will be getting the latest refreshed version, so kids will have middle seat display plus their own climate control. You will have the choice of a cool Yoke or conventional round steering wheel. Center and rear seating offers much better comfort and leg room,

Huge benefit is the much easier getting in and out of the X. Due to the raised seating you can simply slide in, instead of crawling in. Wife will find it much more graceful while older people will love this easy entry/exit. Kids climb in like Monkeys and quickly get settled in. Lots of space for their stuff as well. Kids can bring all their goodies along for the trip.

Bonus will be the included towing package, larger wheel/tire offerings, larger frunk, panoramic windshield (makes looking out from rear seating better), trick light shows, videos and video games display in middle seat, mild off-roading capability plus extra storage under the middle row seats for backpacks etc.

Elon has lots of kids, and this went into his planning of the Model X design. Your family will benefit from his experience with family.

X still has lots of power. Driver can still have lots of fun, but passengers will usually complain if you try to explore the limits with them on board.

We have the Model X LR 7 seater and it's awesome!

I dont think you will be able to tell the difference in acceleration between the S and the X. Both are actually faster than the Model 3 performance at higher speeds.

One thing to note is the 6 seater middle row does not fold down flat. I'm not sure if that is a concern but if you need to carry larger things you may want to consider either the 5 seater or 7 seater.