Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla roof rack - are the crossbars level?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had the Tesla roof rack installed at a local service center. From a distance it appears as if the rear crossbar is slightly taller than the front crossbar. It will be a couple of months before I have an opportunity to mount a Yakima FatCat and a couple snowboards to view it in action . Can anyone who has put their rack to use comment on my suspicion that the crossbars are not level? I included a couple of photos - the driveway photo is deceiving because the car is parked at an angle.

IMG-7108.jpg
IMG-9227.jpg

Did you ever find out the answer to your question? Be interesting to park on level surface, but a piece of 2x4 from front to back, and check with a level. It does appear to rake forward but this could be an optical illusion. Flat would be ideal but forward rake is better than backwards rake as the former would create downforce and latter would create lift.

Did you ever find out the answer to your question? Be interesting to park on level surface, but a piece of 2x4 from front to back, and check with a level. It does appear to rake forward but this could be an optical illusion. Flat would be ideal but forward rake is better than backwards rake as the former would create downforce and latter would create lift.

I took some better photos and measurements today. The rear crossbar is 1.5-2.0" higher than the front crossbar. Measurements were taken on a level surface using a leveled piece of wood attached to the rear crossbar at the edge and again in the center. There is 27.75" separation between the crossbars measuring from the middle of the t-slot - this is within spec from what I have read.

Incorrect mounting location is realistically the only cause for abnormal difference in height between crossbars. Mine were installed at a service center and I don't have a torque wrench (yet) to uninstall and reinstall the j hooks. I have only seen 1 M3 in the Chicagoland area with a roof rack, so I'm not sure how experienced the service center is with the mounting configuration.

I'm curious if others have observed a similar mismatch in height between the front and rear crossbar. Overall I'm satisfied with the product and can't wait to mount a cargo box for snowboarding season!

IMG-9983.jpg
IMG-9986.jpg
IMG-9993.jpg
IMG-9995.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: tlr1000