Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roof Rack!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the one from the Yakima sight....the pictures are at the bottom on an actual Model 3. Unlike those sold by Tesla, they wrap all the way around the top of the door well. They are sold out until February.

Yakima Infolookup

I like this setup more than the Tesla rack, specifically because the bars extend past the towers (personal preference). However, in these photos they extend too far from the towers. I wonder if we can get the bars just a bit shorter for a better overall look?

I like this setup more than the Tesla rack, specifically because the bars extend past the towers (personal preference). However, in these photos they extend too far from the towers. I wonder if we can get the bars just a bit shorter for a better overall look?

I've had racks like this before on other cars (from Yakima), and I'll never get one again. These use clips that sit between your door and the roof, and I can't imagine how they wouldn't damage the chrome trim on the Model 3. I also think this is a bad idea with frameless doors, as I wouldn't want the clips to come in contact with the glass at all. There will be some play in these over time and they can (and likely will, to some degree) scratch your paint. They are also a pain in the ass to install, versus racks that screw directly into the roof or have a solution like Tesla's that include clips that slide into slots and then provide a bolt that the rack screws onto.

The Tesla solution I can at least easily remove and reinstall if I don't want it on the car for a long road trip.

I already purchased an EcoHitch for the Model 3, but haven't installed it yet. My driveway has a steep approach angle where it meets the road, and I'm not confident it'll clear the driveway with the bike rack attached. I know the hitch with the receiver will clear, though, as another Model 3 owner with the same hitch installed kindly stopped by and we were able to test this. But having to move the car to the road road, install the hitch bike rack, and then load up the bikes would be a big pain in the neck.

I ordered one of these Tesla racks to see how they work out and how they affect the range when loaded. I'll be using this primarily with mountain bikes, usually just carrying one, but on road trips would likely have two. I'm probably going to order the Yakima HighRoad, as I don't want to have to remove my front wheel and stick dirty mountain bike wheels in the car. You also need the SmarT-Slot Kit. I often ride trails that are about an hour away from home, so that'll be a good test to see how much of a range hit I take.

Reactions: Jaywlker
Oh, I do agree that the longer bars you can get with other racks are nice. I've used a large cargo box with at least one mountain bike on the roof before (and probably could have gotten two), but not sure that would be possible with Tesla's rack.

Anyone with a rack installed done testing to determine how much it affects range with/without bike?

Empty rack I've read is about 2% efficiency loss. Just installed mine so don't have a lot of data yet.

With bike, will depend on the type of bike I think. I have a time trial bike that's going to be more slippery than a mountain/fat bike.

I've had mine on for many months. I feel any efficiency loss has not been appreciable with just the racks on.

The car has such good range and there are so many places to charge, I haven't given range a second thought...actually in years even with my old model S. Its like worrying about the size of your gas tank in a nonelectric car. There were some stretches back in 2015 where I would drive efficiently but that is a thing of the past.

Can these be demounted most of the time, and mounted for a couple of weeks a year? Wouldn't want the additional wind noise and prefer the clean look without the bars, but would be very useful to mount a roof box for holidays/vacation.

Can these be demounted most of the time, and mounted for a couple of weeks a year? Wouldn't want the additional wind noise and prefer the clean look without the bars, but would be very useful to mount a roof box for holidays/vacation.

I only have them on a few weeks at a time, and store the crossbars in my garage, and the hardware in a gallon ziplock bag in the frunk. They are really easy to put on / take off.

Thanks - do you leave the adhesive patches on the car? Are they obvious? Do they hold up to washing of the car etc?

The clear film is noticeable if your standing next to the car. It will also become more noticeable over time with dirt and other things building around the edges. I also noticed the last time I took mine off that the edge of the film closest to the hook that goes under the glass was getting torn up.

Ideally you could have a long strip of PPF professional installed on the entire length of the painted surface above the window trim. That way you wouldn’t see any edges.

Reactions: Jaywlker