Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Says it Has the Cash to Fund its Plan - George B at the Detroit Auto Show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks for posting this rogbmw.

as an investor, I appreciated this in particular,

"Blankenship added... that the current production line at its Fremont, Calif., plant could produce about 50,000 of the Model S and the upcoming Model X once it goes into production."

considering they are spending the money to open 25 new stores this year despite reservations coming in well over 20,000 per year production pace, I am hopeful they are planning to tap more of that 50,000 capability in the near future. I realize at this point my hope is based on circumstantial evidence (officially Blankenship is restating the 20,000 number for 2013 in interviews this week).

Less than enthusiastic about this article but perhaps it's because I'm sensitive to the numerous errors--and sloppy language--used by the author. For example, saying "initial sales were only for the 85kWh battery" and "sales beginning in April" for the 40kWh model. A simple replacement of the word "sales" with "delivery" would address the problem. Perhaps, from a financial standpoint, the cars aren't sold until they are delivered?

Saying that only 85kWh models have access to superchargers and leaving out the fact that 60kWh models could with a modest upcharge is an issue as well.

It's a good strategy that Tesla has, using their own reveals, at their own facilities, on their own timetable, rather than relying on the auto show circuit to make a big splash.

Less than enthusiastic about this article but perhaps it's because I'm sensitive to the numerous errors--and sloppy language--used by the author. For example, saying "initial sales were only for the 85kWh battery" and "sales beginning in April" for the 40kWh model. A simple replacement of the word "sales" with "delivery" would address the problem. Perhaps, from a financial standpoint, the cars aren't sold until they are delivered?

Saying that only 85kWh models have access to superchargers and leaving out the fact that 60kWh models could with a modest upcharge is an issue as well.

It's a good strategy that Tesla has, using their own reveals, at their own facilities, on their own timetable, rather than relying on the auto show circuit to make a big splash.

The press has a hard time getting its individual and collective minds around Tesla's innovative and unique process.

They do not understand that the traditional build->inventory->sell process is completely replaced by reserve->customize->build->deliver.

This is the same website tha said 'at best' it would take at least 12 hours to charge the Model S 85kwh (they said it would be 110kWh before it was announced because it was impossible for anything less than 100kWh to go 300 miles). It was pointed out that 12 hours was way off but they didn't care and stuck to their numbers. Gotta love modern day automotive 'journalism'.

This is the same website tha said 'at best' it would take at least 12 hours to charge the Model S 85kwh (they said it would be 110kWh before it was announced because it was impossible for anything less than 100kWh to go 300 miles). It was pointed out that 12 hours was way off but they didn't care and stuck to their numbers. Gotta love modern day automotive 'journalism'.

While I agree that the site does a poor job, I'm not ready to ding them on the battery size issue. I discount the 300 mile claim since it's 55mph, steady state, no accessories, etc. 85kWh is 265 from the EPA test and, at a straight ratio, 300 miles would be 96kWh. Not too far off depending on you definitions.