Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not so. The Uptick Rule prevents shorts from creating market orders that execute at the current bid price thus driving the stock price down. However, they can still place sell orders above the current bid price, limiting the ability of the stock price to rise.

So the overall result is that they have one weapon taken away from their arsenal. And without it, the stock regains ground, especially when the "short attack" is based on pure FUD. Today's action however shows different picture, don't you think?

"This quarter, as with Q3, shipment of higher priced Model 3 variants (this time to Europe and Asia) will hopefully allow us, with great difficulty, effort and some luck, to target a tiny profit."

Changed the emphasis for you, to clear it up. Q3 profit *is* the tiny profit. And they’re selling similarly specced cars as Q3, but likely going to end with more in transit.

They let go of 9% last June, yet employment increased by 30% last year.

This is called getting rid of poor performers.

Will headcount be up YoY December 31 2019? Yes.
This is not cutting down on resources, it’s shifting the skillset. They adapt as they grow.
Great day to buy on BOGUS 7% layoff issues. Their website careers section says the have posting for at least 1000 jobs.

Indeed, occasional layoffs appear to have become Elon's standard modus operandi for cutting chaff and motivating the rest at both Tesla and SpaceX. As has been noted following the last Tesla layoffs, even more workers were soon hired to replace those who had been let go.

Meanwhile, laborers were added for the temporary tent needed to bump up production before the tax credit began phasing out, as were staff at Tesla stores to support the end-of-year delivery push. Now those needs have been greatly reduced as production at the main building is apparently increasing due to more robotic assemblers with less need for human workers, and store personnel can deliver cars at a more moderate pace.

Last edited:
Reactions: homer214
So the overall result is that they have one weapon taken away from their arsenal. And without it, the stock regains ground, especially when the "short attack" is based on pure FUD. Today's action however shows different picture, don't you think?

I don't know about others, but I've interpreted today's price action as one or more major buyers and one or more major sellers, each only slowly buying / selling, and thus reaching a relative equilibrium that only fluctuated based on the actions of third parties.

The sudden change in pattern I interpret as one or more major buyers having hit their acquisition targets.

Reactions: neroden
I don't know about others, but I've interpreted today's price action as one or more major buyers and one or more major sellers, each only slowly buying / selling, and thus reaching a relative equilibrium that only fluctuated based on the actions of third parties.

The sudden change in pattern I interpret as one or more major buyers having hit their acquisition targets.

The bottom line is that there are more sellers than buyers. The real question is who does the selling- shorts or longs. I hope we see data from Igor before Tuesday.

• Informative
Reactions: 2virgule5
Indeed, occasional layoffs appear to be Elon's standard modus operandi for cutting chaff and motivating the rest at both Tesla and SpaceX. As has been noted following the last Tesla layoffs, even more workers were soon hired to replace those who had been let go.

Meanwhile, laborers were added for the temporary tent needed to bump up production before the tax credit began phasing out. Now that need has been greatly reduced as production at the main building is apparently increasing due to more robotic assemblers with less need for human workers.
I think the share price drop is due to his warning for ruff road ahead.

He has used that tone many times before. This time he used many vague words such as tiny, luck, to emphasize the risk many of us already know.

The bottom line is that there are more sellers than buyers. The real question is who does the selling- shorts or longs. I hope we see data from Igor before Tuesday.

Yes, that's the bottom line, but not a reason for such a long, persistent SP at high volume. The fewer the number of parties that are responsible for the majority of the volume, the easier a steady-state is to establish.

IMHO. :)

I think the main thing the market doesn’t like or understand from the letter was,

“This quarter [Q1] as with Q3, shipment of higher priced Model 3 variants (this time to Europe and Asia) will hopefully allow us, with great difficulty, effort and some luck, to target a tiny profit.”

Layoffs could of been shrugged off, even might of sent the stock up. Q4 not as good as Q3, some minor selling. Why, though, great difficulty, effort and luck for (maybe) a tiny profit this quarter? Kind of clashes with where we thought the company is for no apparent reason.

Just occurred to me, this might be due to Q1 including some downtime for S/X production in order to make changes for the battery packs, and/or some hiccups already showing up in doing this.

At 2K S/X per week, $100K ASP, and 30% gross margins, 3 weeks of production taken out of the quarter would be a $180 million hit to earnings. That would make Q1 look tiny next to Q3 & Q4, and, with the risk of losing more than 3 weeks, and/or risks of shipments of 3s for China and Europe possibly having hiccups in getting to perhaps thousands of customers before Q1 ends, some luck involved in not sliding into a loss for the quarter.

This would be consistent with Tesla not giving a reason for the “tiny profit” guidance ... they do not want consumers to know the S/X offerings are being upgraded. It would seem there would need to be a pretty good reason to not include some sort of explanation with what was a considerable downgrade of expectations for Q1 and was ambiguous about future quarters being impacted as well.

Of course, there’s also the dropping of the 75 kWh S/X we already know about which already hinted that they are about to upgrade the offerings.

Last edited:
Elon lowered expectations for both Q4 and Q1(just like he lowered them for Q3 with his e-mail saying the last day would be a make or break day). Tesla is in a much better position now to surprise positively for both quarters.

Notably, his statement for Q4 was that it would be profitable but probably not quite as much so as Q3. Last we saw, consensus for Q3 was somewhere around 3/5 the EPS vs Q3. There’s a lot of room in there to both match Elon’s statement and be a massive beat over expectations.

BTW., today we'll be able to test how much influence the 'max pain' effect has - I don't think we ever had such a big drop of the stock price on a LEAP expiry Friday with close to 1 million option contracts expiring.

Now this is where I feel most cheated, I was really looking forward to a big fight with the SP around 350 today. It's like the Cup Final got cancelled. Me disappointed :(

After review of the past 8 pages of comments, I don't believe anyone has asked the obvious question...

Why did he announce this now, just 2 weeks before ER? Why not wait for ER?

IMO, some really good news is about to come out in ER and they don't want it buried by this.

He does not seem to care about stock price any more.

Disagree, employees need this to stay and he needs a solid pop this quarter for convertible notes. He knows they are trying to cut this off so he has to pay in cash vs stocks. Folks, this is all about making sure SP get's back well above $360.

And again, as some have said, it's more about cash flow. Possibly a bear trap as well. SP might even go lower before Feb to catch even more bears.

"This quarter, as with Q3, shipment of higher priced Model 3 variants (this time to Europe and Asia) will hopefully allow us, with great difficulty, effort and some luck, to target a tiny profit."

Changed the emphasis for you, to clear it up. Q3 profit *is* the tiny profit. And they’re selling similarly specced cars as Q3, but likely going to end with more in transit.

This quarter, as of time he's speaking = Q1. "as with Q3" = a different quarter from the current.
Reference to Europe/Asia in no way can be interpreted as Q3.

Also, Q3 profit was small, not tiny:
"While small by most standards, I would still consider this our first meaningful profit in the 15 years since we created Tesla."

• Helpful
Reactions: replicant
After review of the past 8 pages of comments, I don't believe anyone has asked the obvious question...

IMO, some really good news is about to come out in ER and they don't want it buried by this.

Disagree, employees need this to stay and he needs a solid pop this quarter for convertible notes. He knows they are trying to cut this off so he has to pay in cash vs stocks. Folks, this is all about making sure SP get's back well above $360.

And again, as some have said, it's more about cash flow. Possibly a bear trap as well. SP might even go lower before Feb to catch even more bears.
Elon is a master of 4d chess so it wouldn't surprise me. The way he worded the letter made the situation seem a lot worse than it is. I think this was done purposely.

2 weeks worth of payroll for 7% of total workforce is a lot of $. I'm glad he's setting realistic expectations that Q1 may have the tiny profit...

Hate to say this, but I want Elon to get his developer hat back on and sit 24/7 with the FSD team and focus on that for a provable coast-coast demo even if it's got flaws that would be huge!