Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Come on, some dude named Wolfgang on the Internet says that the e-tron is winning, that’s its game over, that they already have 50% of Tesla volume.

I love how all these morons can continue to be wrong for so many years running. It really is stupendous.

Please don't confuse "wrong" with wilfully misleading/lying.

Reactions: Yonki and Xenius
Come on, some dude named Wolfgang on the Internet says that the e-tron is winning, that’s its game over, that they already have 50% of Tesla volume.

I love how all these morons can continue to be wrong for so many years running. It really is stupendous.

In fairness, Wolfgang is the CFO of some Mercedes Europe division, so of course Tesla is bad and German car companies are good...

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I hope everyone watched Rob Baron on CNBC Squak Box - All the FUDster panelists were very quiet when he spoke about Tesla :D

In other news, there is an ongoing Dumdum on Dumdum fight going on in this twitter thread :

Joe Nocera on Twitter

giphy.gif

:p

Ron Baron hasn't sold a single one of his tesla shares despite the downturn. Kudos to him!

Just arrived in Dublin, Ireland and picked up my rental car at the airport. What a shock to go from one-pedal driving my P3D to struggling with a worn clutch and operating three pedals on some POS nondescript Ford diesel CUV while adjusting to life on the opposite side of the road! The fumes are disgusting and I can feel a headache coming. I knew I was spoiled, but this really drives home the point of how primitive and poisonous ice cars (and diesel in particular) are and how they're a massive societal and environmental liability. Tesla and EV domination cannot come soon enough!

Ha. Wait until you experience the single car-width country lanes - for two way traffic :eek:

Also, I disagree that people are used to software "that just works" in car infotainment systems. Tesla generally ranks top in infotainment system satisfaction rankings, not because it's perfect, but because most of the competition's systems are annoying or buggy in some way or another.

Oh I agree, but in general car software UI is vastly *sugar* compared to any built in feature on my phone. I'm not talking about audi drivers swapping to a tesla, but millennials who live and die by their mobiles and whose first car will hopefully be a model 3 (used maybe).

Me having to routinely swap the sound input to radio and back to tunein to get a podcast to play is something you expect from windows 95, not software in 2019, and millennials are likely to consider bugs like that to be pretty shocking.
I might be overreacting because I'm a coder, and that bug seems SO EASY to fix to me :D

Having said all of that, we just popped out in my old car (Lexus CT200h) and OMG the satnav, the buttons, the pathetic engine! the having to click buttons to unlock doors...its like the stone age compared to the tesla.

Some small advertising budget is surely more cost effective than some portion of these price cuts.
Some small advertising budget is not going to counter the FUD and misinformation out there. To be effective it would take a huge budget and a concentrated team effort, both of which Tesla cannot spare at this point in time. Traditional paid advertising is less impactful these days because of much more fragmented media. Tesla just needs to keep pushing their message on all social media outlets.

That's wrong, your own quoted source disagrees with your interpretation (see my highlight): the 3 days to locate shares is granted and it's not naked short selling when the broker is sure shares can be located - which is true for large cap stocks.
Yes, it is naked short selling. The fact that naked short selling it is allowed for market makers by Regulation SHO does not change what it is. How are you ignoring that?

Since you're disagreeing on the legal definitions, the rest of your interpretation is unsupported. You appear to accept carte blanche that market makers (not brokers, which is a different class) can ALWAYS locate shares. The Failure to Deliver (FTD) reports, which occur only after 14 trading days has past, demonstrate that that is not true.

Blind faith in the system does not lead to reform. First, you must be willing to understand their is a problem. The rules were changed in 2007 to favor market makers. Reporting rules are contrived to cover the problem, making it worse.

At any rate, this will be my last word on the topic today since the market is about to open.

Cheers!

Yes he did, and that's why I said and I still believe, despite all the disagrees, that the company and Musk have a credibility issue at the moment. If you look at what Tesla is doing, where the legacy automakers are, Tesla would be getting the benefit of the doubt rather than picking every little nit.

Nope. Disruptors never get the benefit of the doubt.

Where did you get that idea?

The guy is a straight-shooter using logical common sense to come to reasonable practical methods to become wealthy. He didn't run fake universities, fail to pay his employees, write misleading contracts and bully or scare people to rise to his current state. He didn't rely on good-luck, inherited wealth or superior intellect. He used reasonable and sensible patience to achieve his goals.

The talking heads on CNBC are a bunch of phonies who like to stoke fear. Idiots in expensive suits. And they smell bad. I can just tell.

Warren Buffet never innovated or invented a single thing in his life and he's one of the world's richest, just like Barron. Neither one of them are traders, they are patient investors. Everyone who thinks they are an "investor" should watch this interview and learn from a master.

Fear and greed are closely related although only one is an emotion. There is nothing wrong with greed but fear is always a bad thing. When I'm standing on top of a high cliff with poor footing I know intellectually not to slip and fall. That helps me avoid disaster. But the fear I feel does not help, it hinders. It makes one lose their balance. So don't fear - it's not useful. Always become greedy when others are full of fear. Always play with money you can afford to lose and never be fearful of losing it. Because that's the quickest way to whittle it down to nothing.

Yes, it is naked short selling. The fact that naked short selling it is allowed for market makers by Regulation SHO does not change what it is. How are you ignoring that?

I am not ignoring it, you are re-defining the naked short selling term, as it is used in the securities industry.

Here's the definition of naked short selling you quoted:

"Naked short selling, or naked shorting, is the practice of short-selling a tradable asset of any kind without first borrowing the security or ensuring that the security can be borrowed, as is conventionally done in a short sale."

You 100% ignored the "or" clause, which allows the broker to locate shares later, if he is sure there's enough of a supply in the NASDAQ share borrowing pool: which currently stands at above 10,000,000 TSLA shares.

You also 100% ignored my other argument: the practice of securing shares within 3 days is at most a minor fee advantage - see the hypothetical calculation I provided.

The 3 days rule makes no practical difference to whether TSLA can be shorted. With or without the 3 days rule there's no significant difference in shorting depth and costs.

Reactions: Doggydogworld