Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to recap, here's what Peter Bannon, Tesla's Director of Hardware Engineering said about the progress of HW3 on October 23 (~3 months ago):

Peter Bannon

Hi, this is Pete Bannon. The Hardware 3 design is continuing to move along. Over the last quarter, we've completed qualification of the silicon, qualification of the board. We started the manufacturing line, in qualification of the manufacturing line. We've been validating the provisioning flows in the factory. We built test versions of Model S, X and 3 in the factory to validate all the fit and finish of the parts and all the provisioning flows.

So we still have a lot of work to do. And the team is doing a great job, and we're still on track to have it ready to go by the end of Q1.

Elon Musk

Great. And that will be on it roughly 1000% increase in processing capability compared to the current hardware. And so, it's obviously giant improvement despite being a - it costs about the same. Cost, volume and power consumption are approximately the same as the current hardware, but it's a ten-fold improvement in frames per second.

Peter Bannon

That's right.

Elon Musk

Yeah, and improved redundancy as well. But very importantly - it's very important emphasize is that the only thing that needs to change between a car that's produced today and a car, let's say, produced in the two second quarter of next year is swapping out the Autopilot computer. And this is a simple change that takes less than half-an-hour in service to upgrade the computer. And so, anyone will be able to upgrade their computer to full self-driving capability or upgrade their car to full self-driving capability with a simple service visit.

So we expect all cars with a Hardware 2 sensor suite, basically anything made in the last roughly two years will be upgradeable to full self-driving.

Peter Bannon

Yeah. In fact, a lot of the cars we're using for testing today have in fact been upgraded from Hardware 2.

Elon Musk

Right, so it's very important to emphasize, like people shouldn't - but 5% people who would want to wait until that comes out. But there is no need to wait till it comes out, because it's just a very simple plug-and-play change to get to the full self-driving. And anyone who is compatible with self-driving option will just get it done for free. And anyone who still wants to order full self-driving at this point, it's just an off menu item, you can still order it.

But the - we took it off the order menu, just because there are - it was really creating a lot of friction in the sales process and people didn't understand the difference between Enhanced Autopilot and full self-driving. So just to simply the order process, we took that off. But anyone who asks for it can certainly get it. And it really ends up being a discount of future capability.

But to be clear, there is definitely no need to wait until Q2 to order a car. It's - we want to make it just completely seamless process, so there is no advantage ordering now versus Q2. Andre, do you want to…?

Andrej Karpathy

Yeah, certainly. Hi, everyone. My name is Andrej Karpathy. I'm the director of AI here at Tesla. And my team trains all of the neural networks that analyze the images streaming in from all the cameras for the Autopilot. For example, these neural networks identify cars, lane lines, traffic signs and so on. The team is incredibly excited about the upcoming upgrade for the Autopilot computer which Pete briefly talked about.

This upgrade allows us to not just run the current neural networks faster, but more importantly, it will allow us to deploy much larger, computationally more expensive networks to the fleet. The reason this is important is that, it is a common finding in the industry and that we see this as well, is that as you make the networks bigger by adding more neurons, the accuracy of all their predictions increases with the added capacity.

So in other words, we are currently at a place where we trained large neural networks that work very well, but we are not able to deploy them to the fleet due to computational constraints. So, all of this will change with the next iteration of the hardware. And it's a massive step improvement in the compute capability. And the team is incredibly excited to get these networks out there.

Elon Musk

Great, thank you. Again - actually I've said this before, what I think - just talking a bit about the kind of long-term future, we absolutely see the future as kind of - as sort of a shared electric autonomy. So that you'll be able to do ride-hailing or share your car anyway, sort of long-term model that's some combination of like Uber, Lyft and Airbnb. There will be Tesla dedicated cars for ride-hailing and there will be - and any customer will be able to share their car at will, just like you share your house in Airbnb. So it's a combination of those two models. I think, it's pretty obviously where things are headed long-term.

The advantage that Tesla will have is that we will have millions of cars in the field with full autonomy capability, and no one else will have that. So I think that puts us - that will end up putting us in the strongest competitive position long-term.​

So the timeline is to have it ready to go by the end of Q1, i.e. start installing HW3 in all new cars manufactured in early April.

If Elon does his big product announcements at around March 15 then maybe an announcement about HW3 could be part of that presentation too.
So my question would then be, assuming they begin installation of hardware 3 in new cars by April, when will they begin retrofitting the cars of customers that bought FSD at point of purchase but have the old hardware 2?

Dan

So my question would then be, assuming they begin installation of hardware 3 in new cars by April, when will they begin retrofitting the cars of customers that bought FSD at point of purchase but have the old hardware 2?

Dan

I think it will be offered to trade in old car at higher price and replace it with new one. FSD orders are not many.

I think it will be offered to trade in old car at higher price and replace it with new one. FSD orders are not many.
That wouldn't make any economical sense if this is truly a plug and play 30 minute upgrade. I have put significant money into my car with paint correction, Xpel wrap, ceramic coating, etc. I don't want another car, I just want the FSD I paid for. Not in any huge hurry, just want what I paid for and if the hardware 3 is what it takes...that's for me!

Dan

Dan

I believe that will depend on the introduction of the first HW3 based "FSD features".

IMO the ideal timing would be to introduce the first FSD feautures starting April, as it would boost EAP, FSD and new car sales as well.

At the same time I'd expect service centers to plug in HW3 modules for customers that request it: this would generate extra income as well, even for retrofits of existing FSD option owners, as portions of deferred FSD revenue could be recognized. This would directly boost GAAP profits.

So my guess: if there are no delays then early April rollout. Maybe beta testing first, with participating owners getting retrofits - and U.S. only. General availability could be as late as May/June.

Just guesses though - maybe the Q4 earnings call will reveal more details.

Great spot, looks like Tesla might also be ready to release their new in-house developed radar.

Radars are expensive, so this is a natural step of vertical integration.

Also, I'm wondering whether they are going to use the second radar for radar interferometry, which can improve the resolution of radars immensely.

Another possibility is that the second radar will use a different frequency, which should allow fewer artifacts and also two image stereoscopic radar vision in addition to pulse delay distance measurement.

Last edited:
End of diatribe: we are meant to be investors. That means we should carefully and deliberately evaluate positive and negative points.

Exactly!
Making generalizations is a slippery slope. Not all shorts are equal and not all longs are equal (we will see the full force of the later, once the big guys change their position and start pumping the stock).

@luvb2b's free cash flow is not listed separately, but is easy to calculate: it is the "net cash from ops" line minus "pp&e purchases" (i.e. capex cash outflows), which for Q4 is $1,981m-$700m, i.e. $1,281m.

Note that the $700m capex in Q4 is estimated from the annual capex guidance Tesla gave for 2018: they could have spent a bit more or a bit less in Q4, which makes most of these cash projections highly uncertain.

My estimates: I think @luvb2b's model is using too high Model 3 ASP and the Q4 results will be roughly $50m lower:
  • revenue would be around $6,950m,
  • net cash from operations of $1,900m,
  • free cash flow (FCF) of around $1,200m,
  • GAAP profits of around $200m,
  • GAAP earnings per share (EPS) of around $1.8
Note that there's two big "wildcards" that could increase cash generation in Q4 by up to $500m (!), and one of them could increase free cash flow by ~$300m (the receivables line).

There's also a potential for a downwards surprise, but not more than -$200m I think, even under the most pessimistic scenarios. So better free cash flow in Q4 than Q3 looks pretty certain at this stage, IMHO.

I could be wrong, not advice, etc.
Not sure if this data on FactSet and others is available to the general public (most likely not), but a quick google search found Zacks estimates - not sure how relevant that firm is, sorry.

The point being, that if we miss "consensus" by even a few million, that will be the narrative in the press. Your sub 7bn revenue estimate would take us there... so hoping it will be better.
upload_2019-1-23_13-4-49.png

Not sure if this data on FactSet and others is available to the general public (most likely not), but a quick google search found Zacks estimates - not sure how relevant that firm is, sorry.

The point being, that if we miss "consensus" by even a few million, that will be the narrative in the press. Your sub 7bn revenue estimate would take us there... so hoping it will be better.
View attachment 371134

On yahoo finance average of 23 analysts EPS for Q4 dropped from 2.26 to 2.22

Radars are expensive, so this is a natural step of vertical integration.

Also, I'm wondering whether they are going to use the second radar for radar interferometry, which can improve the resolution of radars immensely.

Another possibility is that the second radar will use a different frequency, which should allow fewer artifacts and also two image stereoscopic radar vision in addition to pulse delay distance measurement.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this, though Elon still suggests AP will be heavily vision led. I presume the new radar must just be for greater safety/redundancy and is not a requirement for FSD. I do wonder if old cars can be easily retrofitted with the new radar though.

Amir at the information reported in November that Tesla were designing their own radar. He suggested he had been told this by Peter Bannon. There was no indication on timeline though.

Amir Efrati‏ @amir
"Did I mention Tesla Autopilot hardware chief says he is designing a new radar in addition to the much discussed microchip? Lots of details in these two articles. I would love to know what you think!"

• Informative
Reactions: sundaymorning

Zero info on the battery size. Haha. I assume it qualifies for the $7500 tax credit so at least 20KWh? Or 35 miles on EV?

Edit: No information is being revealed at this time about the capacity of the battery or specifics of its construction. However, Davis did acknowledge that 50 km (31 miles) of electric range is a crucial threshold for incentives in China and this is a global vehicle. That said, we can probably count on at least 16-20 kWh of battery capacity and somewhere around 32-35 miles of electric driving. Like most plug in hybrids, there is no DC fast charging support, just 120V or 240V charging

Last edited:
And we have a downgrade - excellent news for us looking to buy! Sorry for the CNBC link, added some info so you don't have to click...

Tesla downgrade by RBC means more analysts on Wall Street have 'sell' ratings than 'buy' on stock

Tesla was downgraded to underperform by RBC Capital, which said that the electric car maker has finally started to give some straight talk to investors about its future growth, but many are still not listening because they are still too enthralled by the company's founder and CEO Elon Musk.

"It's not that we don't believe Tesla can grow over time, our model shows solid LT growth. But the current valuation already considers overly lofty expectations. For instance, let's assume 1mm [Model 3] units @$55k ASP, 12 percent EBIT margins, no interest/equity raise all by 2025. This is undoubtedly solid earnings, but at a more 'mature' 15x P/E, the discounted back value is ~$195, meaning even in an optimistic case at least 1/3rd of today's price is an 'Elon premium'."

Tesla shares fell 1.5 percent in premarket trading Wednesday following the call. Through Tuesday, the stock was down 10 percent on the year to $298.92.

"The company seems to be more tactful with messaging which is a long-term positive, but means downward pressure to growth expectations - which in our view are too high to justify current levels, let alone to add to positions," wrote Spak.

In the latest round of cost-cutting measures, Tesla said last week that it would cut 7 percent of its workforce and discontinue production of some other models to focus on the Model 3. Musk also said that the company likely achieved a "tiny profit" in the fourth quarter.

"For years, Tesla sold the dream of transportation disruption and fantastic growth. This served the stock well turning Tesla into a top 6 (at times top 3) valuable auto OEM despite delivering a fraction of units of others and nary a profit," wrote Spak. "A stock should of course discount future cash flows and the market took the promises of Tesla and their future growth potential to justify lofty valuations while Tesla took capital needed to support their endeavors. But the rubber appears to be hitting the road as the realities of Tesla becoming a volume player, the challenges to scale and deliver high volume at high ASPs/margins are coming to a head."

upload_2019-1-23_13-20-6.png

And we have a downgrade - excellent news for us looking to buy! Sorry for the CNBC link, added some info so you don't have to click...

Tesla downgrade by RBC means more analysts on Wall Street have 'sell' ratings than 'buy' on stock

Tesla was downgraded to underperform by RBC Capital, which said that the electric car maker has finally started to give some straight talk to investors about its future growth, but many are still not listening because they are still too enthralled by the company's founder and CEO Elon Musk.

"It's not that we don't believe Tesla can grow over time, our model shows solid LT growth. But the current valuation already considers overly lofty expectations. For instance, let's assume 1mm [Model 3] units @$55k ASP, 12 percent EBIT margins, no interest/equity raise all by 2025. This is undoubtedly solid earnings, but at a more 'mature' 15x P/E, the discounted back value is ~$195, meaning even in an optimistic case at least 1/3rd of today's price is an 'Elon premium'."

How can anyone pay attention to an analyst who bases his valuation for one of the most controversial and difficult to value companies in history on a 5 minute incorrect back of the envelope calculation.
Firstly EBIT margin isn't a relevant way to model Model 3 profit when SG&A is not variable and not directly related to Model 3. Secondly he ignores that Tesla's 1 million target is 2020 and not 2025. Then he ignores Pickup, Y, Semi, Energy and Other businesses, all of which should be worth as much as Model 3. The he ignores self driving car option value which already gives UBER a $100bn valuation.

Also, he misses that the "straight talk" was to fired employees and not to investors. I'm sure Elon will have a different message with Q4 results.

1mm [Model 3] units @$55k ASP, 12 percent EBIT margins, no interest/equity raise all by 2025. This is undoubtedly solid earnings, but at a more 'mature' 15x P/E, the discounted back value is ~$195, meaning even in an optimistic case at least 1/3rd of today's

The 12% EBIT margin looks ridiculously low for 2025 - the only reason Q3 EBIT was only $445m is a high intensity growth cycle: the real metric is EBITDA, which was $949m in Q3 and probably rose to $1.3b in Q4.

That's a TTM EBITDA of 4x1.3 = $5.2b, which with a conservative 15x multiple gives a valuation of $78b, or $450 per share. Right now, not in 2025 and not "discounted back".

And if Tesla spends half of their income on future growth, then a hefty growth premium is justified, in addition to the static valuation.

RBC is trying to have it both ways: they are using a no-growth assumption but growth-reduced EBIT metrics.

(Curious what @ReflexFunds thinks about this.)

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised to see this, though Elon still suggests AP will be heavily vision led.

Radar is "vision" too in the broader sense: just it's using lower frequency photons, which the human eye doesn't see.

Elon is a physicist, and I'm pretty sure he includes "radio frequency" and "infrared" spectrum in "vision" as well. :D

Tesla shares fell 1.5 percent in premarket trading Wednesday following the call. Through Tuesday, the stock was down 10 percent on the year to $298.92.

"The company seems to be more tactful with messaging which is a long-term positive, but means downward pressure to growth expectations - which in our view are too high to justify current levels, let alone to add to positions," wrote Spak.

In the latest round of cost-cutting measures, Tesla said last week that it would cut 7 percent of its workforce and discontinue production of some other models to focus on the Model 3. Musk also said that the company likely achieved a "tiny profit" in the fourth quarter.

"For years, Tesla sold the dream of transportation disruption and fantastic growth. This served the stock well turning Tesla into a top 6 (at times top 3) valuable auto OEM despite delivering a fraction of units of others and nary a profit," wrote Spak. "A stock should of course discount future cash flows and the market took the promises of Tesla and their future growth potential to justify lofty valuations while Tesla took capital needed to support their endeavors. But the rubber appears to be hitting the road as the realities of Tesla becoming a volume player, the challenges to scale and deliver high volume at high ASPs/margins are coming to a head."

View attachment 371135

I would love them to have a panel discussion with Cathie Wood from ARK Invest.....

Its in my understanding not an analysis but an uneducated guess what they put out. Strongly misleading, incomplete with wrong assumptions and disregards may products and profits that I do not even know where to start to list them.

Its still hard for me to understand why this people call themselves analysts and dare to put their predictions out. Everybody who knows a little bit about Tesla can prove then wrong in their way how they analyze.

Last edited:
Electrek reporting that internal service documents now include AP3 hardware, Tesla denied it is already in production but re-iterated Bannon's late October guidance (which suggested March release). Looks like AP3 hardware is on track to me.

"A source told Electrek that Tesla updated the Model 3 wiring diagrams in its internal service documentation on January 9 to include the new Autopilot 3.0 computer as the new standard ECU in Model 3:

We contacted Tesla about the new diagram for Model 3 to ask if it means that the Autopilot 3.0 computer is now being installed in new Model 3 vehicles.

The company denied that it’s currently in production and reiterated Bannon’s timeline – though it couldn’t explain why they released the diagram for Model 3."

This is simple. It's not like they don't know how the computer will go into the car, service centers must be ready in advance. I believe the target is in production cars starting in April. So it's not crazy to think that service centers and manuals wouldn't be updated based on the final product today. Also many employees might already have v3 computers and might be service at some point between now and then. Do much Ado about nothing.