Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a very interesting possibility as well - and would explain yesterday's huge TSLA accumulation volume as well, on a day when everyone expected a falling knife.

It's just complete speculation, but i increasingly like the idea of a Tesla GM 50-50 JV for GM's EVs.

In this hypothetical JV, I assume Tesla would supply the Powertrain and battery systems (battery pack & management system, motor, inverter, charger, DC DC, cooling equipment etc). The JV would likely use GM brands and GM would manage body, paint, assembly etc. Perhaps manufacturing would begin in some of the plants GM is currently planning to close. Presumably the EVs would be sold through GMs dealerships, but the cars may get access to Tesla's superchargers and potentially referred to Tesla service centres for Powertrain issues.

I think this partnership would be a win for both companies and the environment - GM gets access to much better technology, accelerates its EV rollout and reduces its EV R&D requirements while Tesla gets a free stake in a whole new business and access to a new sales channel and different brands largely targeting a different demographic. It would also increase Tesla's economies of scale for battery and powertrain production, with cost savings benefiting its 100% owned Tesla brand.

I don't think this JV would hold back Tesla brand expansion at all, if anything it might accelerate Tesla brand growth if Tesla gets further cost reductions and the JV provides Tesla significant cash through dividends.

I'd be interested to know if you still have confidence in your sources for the Tesla GM Pickup partnership? @KarenRei @ZachShahan

Last edited:
"Elon Tusk" wouldn't be this giddy if he were sharing bad news.

It seems he is not the only one :D
I guess holding March calls can do that to you. Or did you roll again (you are such a Figaro lately- it's hard to keep up)?

TMC sentiment:

e73b8259e86de283d9bcab3bb4c9a423.jpg

Actual outcome the last 10 times this happened in the past 3 years:

maxresdefault.jpg

Not advice. :D

Speaking from experience, eh? :D

It's just complete speculation, but i increasingly like the idea of a Tesla GM 50-50 JV for GM's EVs.

In this hypothetical JV, I assume Tesla would supply the Powertrain and battery systems (battery pack & management system, motor, inverter, charger, DC DC, cooling equipment etc). The JV would likely use GM brands and GM would manage body, paint, assembly etc. Perhaps manufacturing would begin in some of the plants GM is currently planning to close. Presumably the EVs would be sold through GMs dealerships, but the cars may get access to Tesla's superchargers and potentially referred to Tesla service centres for Powertrain issues.

I think this partnership would be a win for both companies and the environment - GM gets access to much better technology and reduces its EV R&D requirements while Tesla gets a stake in a whole new business and access to a new sales channel and different brands largely targeting a different demographic. It would also increase Tesla's economies of scale for battery and powertrain production, with cost savings benefiting its 100% owned Tesla brand.

I'd be interested to know if you still have confidence in your sources for the Tesla GM Pickup partnership? @KarenRei @ZachShahan
I would hate this move though I think it’s nearly zero chance. GM deserves a second bankruptcy.

As EV fanboys and girls, you would think that we would have some level of interest in this. Tesla killer concern as dissipated to something like 1%. Interest in other EVs is a

A short essay from Pendantry Today that I hope is not too far astray:
A friend pointed out to me that the correct spelling for the male gender version is “fanboi”. Various urban dictionaries confirmt this, and it seems that this intentional misspelling reinforces a naiivete and immaturity, and/or the “i” is a reference to fans/fanatics of Apple’s “i” devices. Or maybe also a reference to the song “Sk8er Boi”.

Here is a deep dive with evidence that the “fanboi” spelling predates both the song and Apple “i” devices:
What is the etymology of "fanboi"?

Nothing succeeds like excess.

A GM branded pickup with a Tesla power train makes a lot of sense to me. Tesla will come up with its own pickup, but based on what we’ve heard so far, it’s going to be very unconventional. Helping GM with a more conventional pickup accelerates the EV evolution.

GM desperately needs its first EV pickup to be a success. This is the only auto market that GM is likely to thrive in. With a Tesla JV it could beat Ford to market with a killer truck.

A GM branded pickup with a Tesla power train makes a lot of sense to me. Tesla will come up with its own pickup, but based on what we’ve heard so far, it’s going to be very unconventional. Helping GM with a more conventional pickup accelerates the EV evolution.

GM desperately needs its first EV pickup to be a success. This is the only auto market that GM is likely to thrive in. With a Tesla JV it could beat Ford to market with a killer truck.
Tesla will be focused on ramping up Y for the next year, so it would be nice if GM could ramp up their truck. A Tesla and EV win all around.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
LOL CNBC is trying to do damage control with these headlines all in the last 2 hours.

"Tesla faces a crash crunch with a $920 million debt payment due on Friday."
"Tesla under CEO Elon Musk has no transparency and is virtually uninvestable"
"Elon Musk's tweets show that Tesla's board either can't or won't try to keep him in check."
I noticed that when I googled TSLA this morning and those were the top 3 stories. It's ridiculous.

LOL CNBC is trying to do damage control with these headlines all in the last 2 hours.

"Tesla faces a crash crunch with a $920 million debt payment due on Friday."
"Tesla under CEO Elon Musk has no transparency and is virtually uninvestable"
"Elon Musk's tweets show that Tesla's board either can't or won't try to keep him in check."

I was about to ask about what the CNBC talking heads were doing ;) This price action is surely mind-boggling to them.

$310s ITM! ;)