Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California Regulator Threatens Trump With `Extreme' Auto Rules

(Bloomberg) -- A top California environmental regulator is threatening to enact tough, new pollution rules -- including an unprecedented ban on cars burning petroleum-based fuels -- in response to a Trump administration plan to relax vehicle emission standards. California Air Resources Board Chairman Mary Nichols said the state would be forced to pursue “extreme” requirements to offset the uptick
Talk about bans on vehicles that burn petroleum helps anti-green politicians. It helps them paint people who care about the environment as your enemy who is not offering just a choice but who will take away your right to buy the vehicle you want. Support for green initiatives doesn't have enough of a critical mass in the US for talk about bans to have a net positive effect. A subsequent post says she withdrew this comment, but that doesn't matter. Opponents can use this anyway: "This is what they're trying to do to you."

So are you here looking for reasons on whether to buy a M3 in remote Canada without chargers, or borderline troll? Do tell.

Yah. No. I’m as frustrated as any other Tesla fan. But what I wrote is a real world evaluation of the sentiment I read and see everyday. Throw what ever label you want on me if that’s what turns your crank.

Heh heh. Many are interpreting the letter as essentially a guide to bankruptcy in 10 months if things don’t change. And why would they? Nobody has given any indication to the contrary. Most of the people we know who were admirers already talk about Tesla in the past tense no matter what we tell them. There is no PR department to tell them otherwise. If there is some ray of hope in the future no one is talking about it. People don’t want to buy an orphan and pretty much anybody who reads anything in the news about Tesla will tell you they are already done. What did they say in the last hit piece I read yesterday in Forbes? “The wheel is still spinning but the hamster is dead”. And no one to tell anyone otherwise.

Stunning to see a company like this without a PR department.

Lol your "hot take" here is directly refuted by the fact that model 3 is still supply constrained, not demand constrained. No average consumer even knows about this letter nor do they care about the bias media coverage. Elons twitter followers continually increase, Tesla.com search interest continually increase, oh and guess what, sales continually increase.

Lol your "hot take" here is directly refuted by the fact that model 3 is still supply constrained, not demand constrained. No average consumer even knows about this letter nor do they care about the bias media coverage. Elons twitter followers continually increase, Tesla.com search interest continually increase, oh and guess what, sales continually increase.

Now if we could only get that on the news instead of the non stop blather that is on every media outlet. I don’t know the answer but am frustrated as hell with what I hear from coworkers and clients everyday. And it comes up often as I drive an electtic vehicle when I go on appraisals or whatever. As much as I try to counter the negativity, at least in this area many think Tesla is dead.

meh. This will pass. they seem to be the one car company that is innovating, is all-electric, are opening factories instead of closing them, and have huge mind share and brand recognition in the younger market. That makes them all but indestructible. Every time people see a tesla on the streets its free marketing that fights all the FUD. Just hold all your stock and don't worry about the hyper ventilating of the idiots on the internet.
If the big autos, oil companies, and climate-change denialist goons thought tesla was really in ANY danger of going bankrupt, they wouldn't waste so much time frothing at them.
Chill.
All will be more than fine if you hold.

If Tesla starts gearing their decisions towards placating Wall Street they will simply start spinning their wheels with respect to progress which will ultimately slow the achievement of the "numbers" Wall Street claims to be needing in order to gain their favor and improve the stock price. It's a catch 22. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If you're not into this stock for the next couple of years at least then you probably shouldn't own the stock. It's going to be a roller coaster. We all know that.

Dan

No. Sorry, but you're wrong. Of course Tesla shouldn't try to achieve certain levels that Wall St. sets for them, but this is about the company's own guidance. It's not Wall St.'s fault when a company cannot meet its own guidance, and in the case of Tesla it's usually because they are (read: Elon is) too optimistic about their own production capabilities.

There are plenty of things we can blame on FUD spreaders and Wall St., but what caused the most severe drops in the price of this stock are the unforced errors, the self-inflicted wounds. And making up excuses for them when that happens doesn't help anything.

You also cannot say "hey, the stock is a roller coaster and you don't get to complain", because people who invest their own money in this company don't do it as a form of charity, and generally speaking don't do it expecting to lose that money. Ethical and moral reasons are part of many investors' decision, and they are certainly part of mine, but do not equate that with people being ok with losing money because "it's for a good cause".

That being said, I'm probably buying more today. But I've been quite okay with the "buy low" part of the deal for a while now, I'm kinda itching for some "sell high" type situation.

Now if we could only get that on the news instead of the non stop blather that is on every media outlet. I don’t know the answer but am frustrated as hell with what I hear from coworkers and clients everyday. And it comes up often as I drive an electtic vehicle when I go on appraisals or whatever. As much as I try to counter the negativity, at least in this area many think Tesla is dead.

You'd be surpised hpw quickly the perception of those around you can change when it comes to the almighty dollar. I'd be curious to know what kind of car buyers your coworkers are. I've found the most common group that thinks Tesla willl go bankrupt are the Ford/GM/pickup crowd. Sooner or later that group will have to acknowledge they're wrong. Either way, Tesla isn't relying on that group for sales demand.

Man I am super nervous. I had a bad feeling ever since I saw the leaked email this morning. A third spending cut within just a few months? And the narrative of the email contradicted what Elon was saying on the Q1 earnings call i.e. that the losses were a one-off based on delays in shipping Model 3's overseas.

I am not selling any of my shares, I would rather lose them all, but neither am I buying any more until Elon and Tesla can show us some hard figures and evidence that there is strong demand, and there are clear ways to meet the demand.

Man I am super nervous. I had a bad feeling ever since I saw the leaked email this morning. A third spending cut within just a few months? And the narrative of the email contradicted what Elon was saying on the Q1 earnings call i.e. that the losses were a one-off based on delays in shipping Model 3's overseas.

I am not selling any of my shares, I would rather lose them all, but neither am I buying any more until Elon and Tesla can show us some hard figures and evidence that there is strong demand, and there are clear ways to meet the demand.

Hard figures? Currently it is only what's printed int he ER document and Elon's guesstimation. Why would Elon stop his SWAGs and come to reality? His job is to paint a picture, not detail the facts. They won't ever show the daily run-rate of incoming internet orders or store lot allocation positioning. Those are core trade secrets meant to be held close. Demand is a virtual unknown and specifically tied to guidance estimates. If they do not hit the ER printed numbers, well, Safe Harbor rules imply they were only aspiring to do something and these are only something meant to give rough estimation. It's up to you how deep a level of trust you instill on people you have never met.

"Miss"?
Miss what? Who's opinion of where what should be will they "miss"?

Dan
There are some in this topic speculating that they might not meet their guidance for Q2 delivery numbers. One could speculate that Tesla is trying to stay ahead of these issues with all this belt tightening.

The information coming out of Tesla is fairly opaque so it's hard to argue for or against these ideas.

Reactions: Matias
I actually don't agree with this when Elon knows damn well his emails will leak to the media. Every communication of his will have multiple effects, well beyond the direct recipient. He would do well to consider that and use that power to improve perception of Tesla's financial condition rather than actually fanning the fire. I already have a couple of friends who have driven my model 3 and love it, but expressed major reservations, not about the vehicle, but about buying it from a company they perceive to be in dire straits financially. They don't spend time trying to find forums to dig up information about Tesla like we do. They just hear that Tesla is burning massive amounts of cash and may run out soon, possible bankruptcy, yada yada. It makes them extremely hesitant to buy a Tesla. I can't say I blame them for being gunshy about buying a vehicle with technology that is already quite unknown to them when the company producing them, by all apparent accounts, appears to be on the verge of financial collapse. Elon continues to help foster that narrative. It's great to keep trying to cut costs and control expenses, but it's damaging to the public perception of Tesla to over-dramatize the challenging financial situation it is in.
If real target of this email are investors and not employees, this could be Elon trying to engineer soft landing for this quarter; things could be worse than we know.

I hope this is not the case. However, historically with TSLA, it pays to always consider worst scenarios, should you care about short term.

As I exclusively look into long term now, It didn't stop me from converting back small chunk of FB into TSLA this morning.