Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The grids around the headlight are for aerodynamics.

The Bollinger's Nürburgring is the Rubicon Trail.

Bollinger's Porsche is Land Rover.

Bollinger's potential customer base doesn't give a rats ass about Deutchland's Autobahn.
I think you need to get your sarcasm detector fixed sir.

BTW for a hardcore offroader à la Land Rover Defender, aero and styling are secondary, but it is still a little disappointing Bollinger basically put 4 wheels on a shoebox. Oh well, think of it as a tool in the shed. Doesn't need to look good, just work well for the intended purpose.

Reactions: wipster
upload_2019-9-26_22-18-6.png

Project Description:

F19-0041-B - New manufacturing building with break area, restrooms, office space and mezzanines. Scope includes super structure, core & shell, mezzanine structures, HVAC, building plumbing and electrical.

The grids around the headlight are for aerodynamics.

The grids around the headlights are only ~5% of the frontal area. What about the other 95% that have the aerodynamics of a ... falling brick?

JFYI, those sharp edges on the Bollinger chassis only work in the hypersonic speed regime, in the <100 mph subsonic regime they are creating turbulence and flow separation like crazy, significantly reducing efficiency.

Uhm, the solution is far simpler, Porsche should tell the truth and not lie? It's not difficult: "our max charging speed is 200 kW". Not "up to 350 kW".

If indeed 200 kW is all the Taycan can do then the "up to 350 kW" is plain old fraud and false advertising.

BTW., trying to shift the blame on LG is a lame excuse as well: @KarenRei cast doubt on Porsche's 350 kW charging speed claim many months ago already, based on first principles analysis of li-ion cell technology - here's a post from January predicting that 350 kW would fry the Taycan battery pack:

But VW Group members are habitual liars, be it emissions, 350 kW charging speed or Taycan back row leg room ...

This is ridiculous, Porsche is lying about charging speed (200 kW is not 350 kW), and you are blaming those who are calling a lie a lie?

Had Tesla announced Supercharger v3 with 450 kW max speed but only delivered 250 kW, everyone including Tesla supporters would be condemning them, and I'd be part of the chorus.

WTF is wrong with you??
This.

Porsche has spent the past 3-4 years ever since the prototype reveal trumpeting all over the media how they will come in at 350kw and humiliate Tesla with a car that will cost around 70-80k USD. Sure, like any company with a PR department they mostly did this via leaking to reporters who happily parroted this everywhere - just Google Taycan charge rate or Taycan price with "period" restricted to about until a year ago.

There were a few contradicting reports as we got closer to the launch, like when they reported on 350kw prototypes using external cooling at charge stations around the test track, or when Auto Motor & Sport got access to a cameoed prototype on the factory test track and the camera politely cut away when charging peaked at 22xkw. Then their battery supplier leaked that charging will be limited to 250, and lo and behold Taycan was announced this month with that charge rate. (Edit: yes, indeed they announced 270 I guess in order to beat Model 3 250 in specs, but we've never seen anyone get that so far. M3 peaked at 255 in vids I've seen).

Not a single report reminded readers or questioned Porsche on the change.

Last edited:
The grids around the headlights are only ~5% of the frontal area. What about the other 95% that have the aerodynamics of a ... falling brick?

JFYI, those sharp edges on the Bollinger chassis only work in the hypersonic speed regime, in the <100 mph subsonic regime they are creating turbulence and flow separation like crazy, significantly reducing efficiency.

It's almost like they told their designer "Give us a body shape that minimizes highway range as much as possible"!

Seriously though, I suspect it's because they know the car will be produced in such limited volume that the square body will save a lot of money on complex stamping dies that would normally be needed when panels are curved in all three directions.

Lol, you should have seen the Bollinger B1 BEFORE it when through windtunnel testing. :p

If these websites are correct, then shorty was at it again yesterday, hammer-and-tongs. I guess that was the initial plunge at opening, then the concerted capping effort at $240.

upload_2019-9-27_7-47-10.png

At this moment, MaxPain still $232.50, but I feel this is no longer accurate and I expect a shift higher.

upload_2019-9-27_7-49-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-27_7-46-45.png
    upload_2019-9-27_7-46-45.png
    145.9 KB · Views: 51
  • upload_2019-9-27_7-49-2.png
    upload_2019-9-27_7-49-2.png
    177.5 KB · Views: 25
I can’t wait to see all the smart summon videos.
“Man dressed as Jedi uses the Force to summon his Tesla.”
“Shipment of Teslas summoned off RORO ship cuts unloading time in half”
“Dog picks up his human from the store in a Tesla”
It will be marketing gold.
“Small child almost ran over by Tesla’s Summon” *opens article “Tesla car recognizes small child and goes around to find owner waiting with his groceries”

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Class 8 semi trucks are generally not driven in low speed residential zones, or if they must go there most truck drivers will drive them carefully. In Europe they need case by case special permission to enter most residential zones.

The Bollinger truck looks like a macho replacement for Hummers, which are very much present in residential zones.

Nah, not Hummer, they've basically ripped-off Land Rover Defender:

upload_2019-9-27_8-7-11.png

Just installed 32.10.1. Screenshot shows "Controls" of Tesla app v 3.10.0. Now you can trigger Homelink (e.g., have the car open the garage door) and control the window from the app.

It's the middle of the night here, so I'm not going to have the car tootle around the mall parking lot or check out Spotify.

E115FED3-C2BB-45B5-BE57-945CA8FB8405.jpeg

edit: thinking about this, what would be nice someday is an app automation feature which could for example turn on climate control, seat heaters, open the garage door, unlatch the trunk with a single key press (or voice command).

Last edited:
Am I the only one who feels a little bit disappointed by the fact of only seeing 100'000 deliveries in Q3? I thought of seeing around 105-110k as we've already hit 92-95k in Q2.

However, the SP reacts quite favourable. Don't really get it why - did the market really think we wouldnt reach 100'000 deliveries after having 95 in Q2?

Am I the only one who feels a little bit disappointed by the fact of only seeing 100'000 deliveries in Q3? I thought of seeing around 105-110k as we've already hit 92-95k in Q2.

However, the SP reacts quite favourable. Don't really get it why - did the market really think we wouldnt reach 100'000 deliveries after having 95 in Q2?

Using q2 as a reference is misleading.
Lots of cars that should've been delivered in q1, were still in transfer because of European deliveries. Those were delivered in q2 and inflating the q2 results.

yes -- demand cliff! doooooom!!

until suddenly a few days before, it will suddenly be "expecting" 115k, so it can call whatever the real number is a big miss.

Well you have to look at it as they are producing these cars out of one factory currently. They have to be perfect every operating day to achieve these numbers currently, with only so many hours in a work week they are at near max output. Until GF3 begins producing then it will be difficult to achieve much more.
The number of orders they have to fill are much higher, but again it’s a matter of what production can do currently and how fast they can get these cars to various parts of the world from California.