Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a theory for the $5B raise. Seems that some Congress critters are worried about Chinese involvement in US space. (see Elon Musk's SpaceX NASA contracts threatened over Tesla China ties) And while SpaceX has zero dealings with China, Elon's other company, Tesla, has a $1.4B line of credit with Chinese state banks. So, this could be a plan A or plan B to either assuage Congress that Tesla can stand on its own without Chinese credit, or to even pay off the loans.

My own $0.02: Tesla has very real exposure to China. Not only for the loans (which Tesla could easily pay off), but for their factory and a significant percentage of Tesla's overall revenue. And if China wanted to, they absolutely could put pressure on Elon given this. In such a scenario, I believe Elon would call their bluff and tell them to pound sand (at a potentially catastrophic medium term hit to Tesla's share price). But as one of the aides quoted in the article above, that requires you to believe in the good faith of one man, Elon. This isn't how national security concerns are addressed. The US Government forces companies to divest based on national security concerns. Look no further than what's happening right now with TikTok for an example.

This is more of a SpaceX problem than it is a Tesla problem. Tesla is joined at the hip with China, for better or worse. I don't think there are going to be too many national security concerns about car manufacturing. SpaceX, however, is different as the difference between a commercial rocket and a ballistic missile is slim indeed.

IMO this may stem from a competitor who lost out on NASA contracts.

NASA needs SpaceX perhaps even more than SpaceX needs NASA.

Elon could agree to the US government monitoring all conversations with Chinese officials.

The chances of the Chinese attempting to apply pressure like this are close to zero, they will attempt to acquire knowledge via other means. One example, I know a very smart scientist who is underpaid and under appreciated here, the Chinese made him a very attractive offer to move with his family to China for work. The difference in money would have been huge... but he didn't take the deal. What this showed me is the Chinese know who to target, and I'm sure that knowledge applies across many fields of research and engineering.

While Tesla needs China, China also needs Tesla, no point in throwing that away for nothing.

Credit Suisse gives their thoughts on the S&P add from a note issued this afternoon. Thought it was interesting to hear it from an institutional perspective.

"S&P add may be announced by the end of this week: With rebalance scheduled for the third Friday of Sep (Sep 18), an announcement would occur two weeks prior (Sep 4). Of course, there is no guarantee Tesla will be included in the next add given challenges in adding a company of Tesla’s size – there is no precedent for a ~$450bn+ company to be added to the Index; we believe many investors assume an add this month.""

NASA needs SpaceX perhaps even more than SpaceX needs NASA.

This. SLS ain't gonna happen. Starship will take over the industry.

And re: China - China likely cares about the transition to EV, their air quality / energy independence than they do any space-race stuff. So I can't see them sabotaging a relationship with Tesla over some rocket stuff.

https://twitter.com/icannot_enough/status/1300927814112292870?s=21
90CC562C-2D59-4728-A861-0B2730D2BA9A.jpeg
FE900186-0714-4640-9512-7E71C9E05B65.png

I said it before, I'll say it again.

How the flying fudge is Facebook worth almost 2x Tesla? Damn millenials.

Facebook it an exceptionally profitable business. Growth is slowing, but with a PE ratio of only 36x it still looks very reasonable given its fundamentals.

Facebook Fundamentals:

- $23.5 Billion TTM Net Income
- $58 Billion TTM Gross Profit
- Gross Margin: 81.5%
- 36x P/E ratio
- 5 year growth rate: 42% per annum

Credit Suisse gives their thoughts on the S&P add from a note issued this afternoon. Thought it was interesting to hear it from an institutional perspective.

"S&P add may be announced by the end of this week: With rebalance scheduled for the third Friday of Sep (Sep 18), an announcement would occur two weeks prior (Sep 4). Of course, there is no guarantee Tesla will be included in the next add given challenges in adding a company of Tesla’s size – there is no precedent for a ~$450bn+ company to be added to the Index; we believe many investors assume an add this month.""
I guess they could require Tesla to reduce its size before inclusion.