Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jim Cramer is a controversial figure who plays to his audience for ratings, but this video IMHO is very appropriate to $TSLA. I wish I saw it before we hit $500 recently:

- Video - TheStreet

Cramer: "So many times during my 40 years on Wall Street I have seen moments where stocks went up SO MUCH that you were intoxicated with gains. It is precisely at that point of intoxication though that you need to remind yourself that bulls make money, bears make money, but pigs get slaughtered."
View attachment 584669
Of course, I am in no way "slaughtered" with an average post-split cost basis of $30.

Next time there is another "panic buying" episode I shall sell about 30% of my total position in Roth IRAs (non-taxable). If I never get to buy-in lower with lots of extra shares, I will still be a "happy fat pig" booking those incredible gains, and riding the remaining large position to the Moon!

I had thought about cashing in only 10% recently near the highs, but the damn Stupid & Pathetic(sic) Index Committee froze my hand in anticipation of $TSLA's rightful addition to their lame index. Now we shall see what surprises "Battery Day" brings in 18 days and the market's reaction to them...
Stuff like “pigs get slaughtered” coming from him is meaningless. Nobody knows what the peak is. Outside of this message board, 90% of people sell after 400% gains. Most people sell out of stocks like TSLA or AMZN during their rise , missing out on most on the gains Most people following Kramers advice miss out.

I suppose Tesla could say they prefer not to be part of the index, unless the index publishes a clear set of guidelines about inclusion. That would be a reasonable position to take, partly for the reasons you've cited.

Tesla has no say whether they index includes them or not! It's not something they can opt out of.

Jim Cramer is a controversial figure who plays to his audience for ratings, but this video IMHO is very appropriate to $TSLA. I wish I saw it before we hit $500 recently:

- Video - TheStreet

Cramer: "So many times during my 40 years on Wall Street I have seen moments where stocks went up SO MUCH that you were intoxicated with gains. It is precisely at that point of intoxication though that you need to remind yourself that bulls make money, bears make money, but pigs get slaughtered."
View attachment 584669
Of course, I am in no way "slaughtered" with an average post-split cost basis of $30.

Next time there is another "panic buying" episode I shall sell about 30% of my total position in Roth IRAs (non-taxable). If I never get to buy-in lower with lots of extra shares, I will still be a "happy fat pig" booking those incredible gains, and riding the remaining large position to the Moon!

I had thought about cashing in only 10% recently near the highs, but the damn Stupid & Pathetic(sic) Index Committee froze my hand in anticipation of $TSLA's rightful addition to their lame index. Now we shall see what surprises "Battery Day" brings in 18 days and the market's reaction to them...

There is much wisdom in sentences that appear benign on the surface. In this case, "bulls and bears make money; pigs get slaughtered" is a famous quote from Jesse Livermore's "bio", the classic "Reminiscences of a stock operator". Of course we are not traders here, but we are in luck - we can do both (if done wisely).

I had SP500 add at 70% likelihood leading up to this Friday.

A few thoughts.
The main concern of SP committee is probably liquidity and stability of their index. Adding a 400B$ company before a closed US trading day at a time when there is little liquidity in the markets would only make things worse.

I would guess there's a 10-20% chance TSLA will be added when wall street is back from the Hamptons and liquidity is back to 100% in the markets.

A quote from Bloomberg:

"S&P Dow Jones Indices, which oversees the index, rebalances it on a quarterly basis, but its components can shift more frequently, spokesman Ray McConville said by phone on Friday. “The index committee can make a change to the index at any time,” he said."

Interpreting the above quote - what else is he supposed to say? He can't state the issue outright, but if what I described is the problem, this is pretty much how it would play out.

https://twitter.com/garyblack00/status/1301998631147405312?s=21

Dude’s a joke like Valueanalyst lol

He apologizes and says it’s not happening, when this morning he said it’s going to happen Tuesday

Dunno. I think a lot of us here would agree with this tweet:

@garyblack00

S&P marches to its own beat. To not include $TSLA, the 8th largest U.S. company by mkt cap, who is single handedly transforming the global auto industry, after it generated a 2Q GAAP profit after being shut for 8 weeks while the rest of the industry lost $10B, is just mindless.

4:00 PM · Sep 4, 2020

Personally, I think this reflects upon the S&P Committee, not on Gary Black. Never underestimate the influence of the 'old boys club' on Wall St. Now they're steaming head-long to irrelevance.

Cheers!

Just chill everyone...

It is a bit tough to judge Battery Day impact as there is no presedence. On autonomy day they did announce technical marvels but those flew over analysts' heads. And yes those chips went into cars immediately but it didn't necessarily cause a frenzy in orders as FSD was still years out. However if on battery day they announce new cells in Plaid/Palladium with order books open that is an entirely different ball game. Imagine what it will do to S/X sales which have been on life support for the past year.

On the other hand @Troy has 95% confidence in 140k+ Q3 deliveries which will be an absolute blowout and will cause another set of SP target hikes and talking heads on TV gasps for air.

This is a one-two punch people.

Last edited:
Indeed, the three companies joining the 500 are all being promoted from the lower-league, it could well be the case that the new-adds will be announced next week.
View attachment 584686

@Big Time, that document you saw on Twitter is the S&P BSE 500 which consists of companies in India. We discussed this some pages back.

Reactions: Criscmt
Much more informative than Gary Black, thank you.

I don't bear a grudge against Gary for being wrong - in fact have respect for him having the guts to take a position and good rationale, plus good overall info. Like this follow up
upload_2020-9-5_2-53-54.png

Agree that 10 banks is an extraordinary large number of book runners.
0.5% is an extraordinarliy low fee for the Croupier's fee. I'd look again at the list of culprits making those sales. Something tells me those shares were all purchased for internal (book-keeping) use. ;)

Guess we'll know more when the 10Q comes out in late Oct. Unless there is an actual S&P announcement before the end of Q3 (confounding variable).

Cheers!

Stuff like “pigs get slaughtered” coming from him is meaningless. Nobody knows what the peak is. Outside of this message board, 90% of people sell after 400% gains. Most people sell out of stocks like TSLA or AMZN during their rise , missing out on most on the gains Most people following Kramers advice miss out.

At $500/share the price got way ahead of the underlying business. The steep climb on no news from the company except a split and S&P 500 possibility signals a peak for now.

That looks like a brilliant move to go around a capital raise, but keep all their options open.

They did a significant raise after the Q1 earnings call, just before the pandemic started taking effect. They had said there was no need for more capital, but no one could predict the pandemic, so better safe than sorry.

Now we are heading into respiratory illness season, and the pandemic could get nasty again, so this may be insurance to keep flush and avoid delays with the factories.

No, this doesn't make sense. If Tesla felt they needed more money in the bank for security then they would have done a straight cap-raise at $500, end of story. Makes no sense to have this type of cap-raise as there's no guarantee on the income - $TSLA could trade side-ways at $400 for a year now and they would have left a lot of money on the table, well not money, but more dilution.

I'm 100% convinced it was for the SPY guys and I'm 100% convinced there were discussions behind the scenes to smooth things out a bit, the question is whether SPY hold it's end of the bargain or comes with a last-minute force-majeure.

I expect either inclusion next week still.

Why would the S&P choose to announce the addition of Tesla AH on Tuesday rather than today AH? If the reason is partially to avoid a crazy European market while the US market is closed for two European trading days (Monday and Tuesday in Europe) then wouldn't a Tuesday AH announcement still give Europe a full trading day before the US gets to trade? If that's a consideration then maybe the best time to announce inclusion would be pre-market at 6:15am in the US to give first dibs to Tesla's home market. The addition of Tesla is unique due to its sheer size and expectation so maybe the committee will make a unique announcement. Has there ever been a pre-market announcement?

Main trading overlaps between the US and Europe from 15:30 - 18:30 (I think), plus the US pre-pre-market, to which index funds surely have access, starts in the US around 2 hours after opening in Frankfurt, so I don't really see announcing AH when all markets are open on the next trading day. But indeed, announcing with a full trading day in Europe might be seen as tricky.

But honestly, the volumes in Europe are peanuts and the prices snap to the US as soon as trading starts, so I'm not even sure it's a big deal, seems today they just did the reshuffling of the pack, they'll announce the new adds newt week. Who knows, maybe they'll put $TSLA into the S&P100 at the same time too, that would be interesting.

Wondering if his G650 has a custom starlink transceiver . . .

probably.
Elon, a man who started into rocketry,
to launch a global satellite network,
so that he can tweet when he is in his plane on the way home.

those billionaires don’t take a minor inconvenience lightly if they can find a way to meet their needs, do they?

Gotta love a man with such dedication and level of execution.