Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think it's likely to open Up on this news? I really want to buy the dip but have made some bad decisions lately!

I’m not trying to persuade, just my perspective.

They sold 5 billion of stock in 3 days.

That spigot is closed now.

A stock purchase today is gambling whether 5 billion satisfies those so eager to buy or if they’re going back to the market.

Reactions: NooB_cat
Think it's likely to open Up on this news? I really want to buy the dip but have made some bad decisions lately!

Well, if you have a stack of cash to buy, you can set various levels of purchase to not put all your eggs in one basket, as it were.

As in, buy 10 at market open to guarantee a purcahse, then have another 10 for 375, then another 10 for 350, etc. Whatever makes you happy regarding your investment. If it goes down, you get some, if it goes up, you've got at least some, and you can reassess your buys tomorrow, or the next day.

"On September 4, 2020, Tesla, Inc. completed the sale of $5.0 billion (before commissions) of its common stock through its “at-the-market” offering program previously disclosed on September 1, 2020."

That uncertainty is gone now. Tesla could have sold whenever they wanted which is an unusual wording but decided to do it right away. Any questions about a future depressed sales price because Tesla may be still on the sale side evaporated.

The question is why did they announce to have all flexibility but do it right away although they don't need the cash? You don't keep the SP up to get a good average sale with such a long time uncertainty.

Regardless, how we look at it the only explanation I find is that it's been a part of an agreement with the S&P commission, and if true than Tesla just announced to have fullfilled their part.

The entire maneuver smells like an attempt to bring the SP down. Maybe there is an agreement to announce an inclusion if the SP is at a defined lower level.

It would be an odd deal but hey this is Tesla and nothing is normal with that Stock and Company.

IMHO it would be a breach of fiduciary duty towards us shareholders for $TSLA to explicitly sell $5B worth of shares in "an attempt to bring the SP down".

I think the CFO & CEO smartly raised extra gunpowder for the war chest when the share price was extraordinarily high. The ATM (At The Market) raise was designed not to disturb market trading.

Keeping his mouth shut about the S&P snub?
That's not a Snub. That's a Glock. ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

Well played, sir! Put that $5B to good use, Pilgrim (Wagons, Ho!)

Last edited:
So Tesla finished dumping around 11 million shares at market.

Wonder why I wasn’t smart enough to figure out the offering had nothing to do with S and P. Just opportunistic for TSLA.

Tesla really has no worries now except for execution, which they seem to be doing a fine job at lately.

As for whether the SP will recover now.... one would assume. Macros suck.

CNBC is having Trevor Milton and Mary Barra on in a few minutes, what a couple of losers compared to Elon!

"Tesla stock off over 12% this morning" in the intro to M&B.

GM gets 11% ownership and 1 director on the Board.

After the commercial, "two big guests" LMFAO. Nikola is way up because they didn't know how to build vehicles but GM does.

GM has to engineer it too. I guess it was just PowerPoint slides and CAD drawings?

Mary, why did you decide to do this?

"Very exciting. Ultium batteries, blah blah blah, manufacturing and engineering expertise."

Trevor: "GM very unique. Absolutely the right decision. Working with Nikola "all of our IP" ha ha.

We will see $4-5B savings in battery cost alone.

"A perfect relationship w/o hurting each other". (Trevor likes to hurt!)

The SIlverados, the Hummers, I mean everything they've got the best products out there.

GM says will receive "over $4B in 'benefits'"? It's also for fuel cell technology..!! Useless dumb GM!

CNBC dummy does not ask about the timeline...

Will you buy them out sometime? (No, their stock will be worth more than yours, ha ha)

NKLA = 30% of GM's value. Does that make sense Mary? Doesn't answer the embarrassing question pivots to "leveraging" b.s.

Asks same ? to Trevor: "Yeah I mean look I think the world is rewarding those who are changing the world for the better." "Nikola is an incredible story. The announcement is finally out now which is a huge relief for us." "Nikola's building out H networks"

Final ?: On the margins for EV's to Mary: will they grow over time? All about the battery, duh. We have a tech roadmap [that is 5-10 years behind $TSLA ha ha ha]. We envision a world where we are going to [still be in business and] have strong margins across our EV product line.

Will be in Detroit Hamatrack plant. (GMC Hummer EV first.)

CNBC Andrew says "what might turn out to be a big and historic day". LMFAO!!!

NKLA +47%
GM +8% LMFAO

Last edited:
How long before GM goes to Congress wanting a 2 billion dollar bailout to make up for this boondoggle? Edit, I'm glad I only hold one NKLA put. I guess you can never plan for stupidity. I guess it's possible GM sees something we don't but...

Edit 2, this makes me consider putting some money into Lucid. At least they actually have a car that looks like it has good specs.

Why did Tesla setup the offering this way only to sell nearly immediately? Were they anticipating the stock to keep going up?

If your employer does not offer one you should try submitting a request. I switched to an SDBA in Feb and honestly it’s the best decision ever made, other than TSLA of course :)
I'm my employer. ;) Solo 401k plans are fairly limited, at least with Vanguard.

Last edited: