Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Transparency would improve market stability.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

My understanding is that:

1) some people know the stop loss thresholds and the number of shares at each threshold.
2) they use this information to trigger automated sales thus driving the price of a stock like Tesla suddenly downward.
3) If everyone could see this information the insider advantage would be eliminated, stock prices would be more stable and capital markets would be more efficient.

What would be required to make this information publicly available by law?

Did nothing all week, but couldn't resist when it finally broke 575.
Did a low risk conversion of some shares to a leap in a tax free account.
upload_2021-3-5_16-19-47.png

Transparency would improve market stability.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

My understanding is that:

1) some people know the stop loss thresholds and the number of shares at each threshold.
2) they use this information to trigger automated sales thus driving the price of a stock like Tesla suddenly downward.
3) If everyone could see this information the insider advantage would be eliminated, stock prices would be more stable and capital markets would be more efficient.

What would be required to make this information publicly available by law?

This could be instituted by statute I would think. It would likely result in the end of free stock trading accounts. The brokers have to make money somehow so eliminating the sale of trading data would require a compensating payment from the clients. It would be more transparent but would also tend to drive the small time investors away and also make small time day trading a thing of the past IMO. Trades used to cost me $40 for some option trades. It would be cheaper now i suspect. These are just my guesses and comments.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Could this lead to a robotics collaboration with Tesla apps to provide FSS (full self shaving) as something to do while the car drives you to your destination?

Just don't utter the "my balls are cold" command while in Shave mode.

OK - that's it! - I'm never buying another preowned Tesla.

Hmmmm, the only problem I have is I might need cash out this month if I buy sub 600, and then it’s going to be wash sale stuff that makes it so I can’t buy for a month.
Dang The irony! Anyone have clever workarounds? Couches are pillaged unfortunately.

Hmmmm, the only problem I have is I might need cash out this month if I buy sub 600, and then it’s going to be wash sale stuff that makes it so I can’t buy for a month.
Dang The irony! Anyone have clever workarounds? Couches are pillaged unfortunately.
I'm thinking through the same issue to pay taxes. This is the first time I've had to deal wit this issue. If I have to sell TSLA to do it, I plan to sell lots with minimal gain/loss. I was hoping to be able to buy in my IRA account, but my understanding is that would still be considered a wash sale, even if you are buying/selling in different accounts.

I'm thinking through the same issue to pay taxes. This is the first time I've had to deal wit this issue. If I have to sell TSLA to do it, I plan to sell lots with minimal gain/loss. I was hoping to be able to buy in my IRA account, but my understanding is that would still be considered a wash sale, even if you are buying/selling in different accounts.

This year I'll have a few K in taxes, and, I'll also be retired in a week. I'll probably use margin to pay the tax man (and I have no plans to play at all with margin in the market). This way I keep my little chairs of today so I can watch them grow up to be big chairs, maybe even be a couch someday. Only, for now, some of the chairs will be experiencing the joys of indentured servitude.

I will free them some day!

• Funny
Reactions: AimStellar
Did nothing all week, but couldn't resist when it finally broke 575.
Did a low risk conversion of some shares to a leap in a tax free account.
View attachment 642482
I am amazed that people have TSLA in their HSA account. I bought 100sh for $15K in my HSA account in Feb 2016 (when I took delivery of my Model X). My biggest gain ever. I have not done options but my HSA is with HSABank and the brokerage account is with TD Ameritrade so I probably could. Just holding. I also recently bought some shares in my taxable Fidelity brokerage account.