Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I think if Tesla delivers on autonomy it's curtains for the likes of Rivian. FSD is just too compelling if/when it works and there's not a convincing path for Rivian/Lucid/etc to achieve similar functionality. At least not in-house.

Keep in mind that there are not enough Tesla to go around and that is unlikely to change in the near future. This means other manufacturers will still be able to sell products that don't match the capabilities or value of a Tesla for at least a few more years. Even if Tesla came out with full autonomy within two years, no driver needed, non-autonomous cars will still sell because there won't be enough autonomous ones to satisfy the entire market. Sometimes it's not even what you want but what you can get. That applies to ICE cars too.

Remember, there is not really a separate EV and ICE market because car types fulfill the same market needs. Sure, a portion of the market simply will not buy an EV on principle, but that's not going to matter for at least 4 years, probably longer as it is a continually shrinking segment.

Wouldn’t it be something if Elon simultaneously announces that he competed his share sales already AND announces Tesla’s intention to take the necessary steps such that a max totalling 100:1 share splits would be possible at anytime with a simple board vote. ( ie they could authorize as many splits as they want to to a max of 100:1)

Elon wants to transition from the burning of fossils; but perhaps he could make an exception for the fossils we know to be the shorts.

A little perspective to bring some calm to those among the fretters and hand-wringers.

It isn't as if we were above 1200 for six months or a year, much less in any way solidly entrenched there. We've only been above 1000 for about two weeks, remember?

Can you recall how that felt when we got above 1000 on,... let's see,... the 25th of last month?

Well, it should still be fresh in the mind, so, you get an opportunity to feel thoze wonderful feelz a little more. Channel your inner 1000, rejoice in the SP rising just like we did back in the olden times of late October.

This is TSLA, it operates in Plaid mode and sometimes has to brake for the turns.

Buckle up and enjoy the ride. :cool:

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 4.47.22 PM.png

Seriously, I remember my first experience with a TSLA drop from $190 to $120 (prices pre-split) back in the fall of 2013 like it was yesterday. Yes, I sold at the very bottom and bought back much higher (around $180). Looking in the rear view mirror, that was not even a speed bump, but at the time it felt like Tesla was going under. Time is relevant.
Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 4.51.14 PM.png

For all those that sold above $1100 good for you. For now you are ahead of the pack and successfully navigated the first part of the two-part equation. The 2nd part of the equation which is just as important, and more tricky to implement, is when you buy back in. Thankfully I do not have that dilemma this time.

Patting myself on the back today as my timing is never this good.

Had a few dollars yesterday, so I purchased at $1,070 on the way down. As SP continued to slide, I sold a couple of stocks I told myself I wasn't going to touch to double down on my rage buys at $1,017. After close, I was paid for the sale of our Model 3 (great time to sell, and I need to update my sig). I considered buying more at $1,060 this morning, but decided to wait. Good thing as I was able to make my final purchase today at $1,028.

44 chairs added and still sitting on a bit of cash for the next rage buy. Thanks for the sale Elon!

A little perspective to bring some calm to those among the fretters and hand-wringers.

It isn't as if we were above 1200 for six months or a year, much less in any way solidly entrenched there. We've only been above 1000 for about two weeks, remember?

Can you recall how that felt when we got above 1000 on,... let's see,... the 25th of last month?

Well, it should still be fresh in the mind, so, you get an opportunity to feel thoze wonderful feelz a little more. Channel your inner 1000, rejoice in the SP rising just like we did back in the olden times of late October.

This is TSLA, it operates in Plaid mode and sometimes has to brake for the turns.

Buckle up and enjoy the ride. :cool:
It’s a roller coaster. People should expect that feeling of euphoria as you crest the top and scream with a little terror when you plunge down.

View attachment 731576

Seriously, I remember my first experience with a TSLA drop from $190 to $120 (prices pre-split) back in the fall of 2013 like it was yesterday. Yes, I sold at the very bottom and bought back much higher (around $180). Looking in the rear view mirror, that was not even a speed bump, but at the time it felt like Tesla was going under. Time is relevant.
View attachment 731578

For all those that sold above $1100 good for you. For now you are ahead of the pack and successfully navigated the first part of the two-part equation. The 2nd part of the equation which is just as important, and more tricky to implement, is when you buy back in. Thankfully I do not have that dilemma this time.
Two words. Measured move.

Reactions: EnzoXYZ
I’ll just say a thank you to this group. I woke up this morning ready to sell and buy it back cheaper. I put in a limit sell at 1K and the ticket showed $991 and dropping. A few minutes later it starting creeping up and all the posts on here about not trying to time the market flooded over me. As the stock hit $999 I executed my cancel order and watched the stock sail North.

Regarding Rivian on CNBC, they were really excited just a half hour ago, emphasizing the 'real orders' of 100k units for the trucks for Amazon, and then quickly said that they are real orders vs other manufacturers with $100 deposits. I guess they say what they need to say to fit the story/tag line.

On an unrelated note, Hertz van driving up to mailboxes in our neighborhood, likely advertising?
I saw a Rivian R1-T near my house today, out of state plates, and it had a wrap on it. Wife couldn't get a good pic, but their IPO was (is) pretty ambitiously valued. Lot's of moving parts lately, and the theory that Tesla might have sold off to raise money for the Rivian IPO seems possible, but I don't see how Musk could unload all his shares without anyone spotting it. There's the Form 4, the dark pool volume, etc, but we appeared so see good buy the dip action, and after hours seems like plus or minus four points or so. I'm always trying to reduce my basis, so added some during yesterdays dip, but also expected another dip today, but not strongly enough to skip taking advantage of a large drop. Wonder what the CNBC guys did with their call options.. seems like they jumped in pretty late. Bet we find out what Musk did about 8:05 EST. Nothing at Tesla fundamentally changed for the worse.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
Elon is probably too busy building rockets in South Texas to really care about the day to day movements of the SP like we do.
Not to mention one of his other companies brought some humans back from the Space Station and plan to put more humans on it tonight. I will say the weather here is kind of crappy today so who knows if it will go. The astronauts have had their Model X ride to the pad though.