Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 749839

What are you doing Mama Cathie?

Not big amounts but still aggravating to see on the eve of Q4 P/D.
Ark continuing to double down (more like triple down at this point) on trying to recoup some of their massive losses this year.

This is a huge gamble on their part. It’s already backfired on them to some degree (they sold Tesla shares back in the low 700’s in Sept and put the funds into their hammered stocks that have plummeted even further since). It potentially could be a massive failure if TSLA skyrockets in 2022 and the rest of their portfolio continues to get hammered

Seems silly to take this much risk just try and recoup the losses. Just admit that a lot of your stock choices are going to be worth considerabley less for the next couple of years and move on. Instead they’re making a kinda desperate attempt hoping for a quick rebound in those hammered stocks (which continue to go further and further down)

Ark continuing to double down (more like triple down at this point) on trying to recoup some of their massive losses this year.

This is a huge gamble on their part. It’s already backfired on them to some degree (they sold Tesla shares back in the low 700’s in Sept and put the funds into their hammered stocks that have plummeted even further since). It potentially could be a massive failure if TSLA skyrockets in 2022 and the rest of their portfolio continues to get hammered

Seems silly to take this much risk just try and recoup the losses. Just admit that a lot of your stock choices are going to be worth considerabley less for the next couple of years and move on. Instead they’re making a kinda desperate attempt hoping for a quick rebound in those hammered stocks (which continue to go further and further down)
Guess they are banking on a post tax loss harvesting rally. However I feel like the market has popped the low revenue high valuation stock bubble since April. Also I'm pretty amazed that Arkk sold off Tsla where they need to pay taxes and didn't harvest any of the tax loss from most of their portfolio.

Guess they are banking on a post tax loss harvesting rally. However I feel like the market has popped the low revenue high valuation stock bubble since April. Also I'm pretty amazed that Arkk sold off Tsla where they need to pay taxes and didn't harvest any of the tax loss from most of their portfolio.
Exactly. I'm in the camp that doesn't think Inflation is going to be sticking around for that long or be that extreme due to a number much larger deflationary forces, but I still think the Fed's are going to raise rates enough to where the bubble valuation of low revenue/no earnings/big potential stocks are going to continue to be hammered for the next couple of years. Some of these companies will actually succeed and their valuations will go up in the future, but we're talking like 3-5 years from now.

ARK is hoping that the burst bubble of these kinds of stocks will quickly re-inflate. I tend to think it's going to long and slow re-inflation of the valuation of these companies. In the meantime, they're using their TSLA shares as a piggy bank right as Tesla is about to go on a huge expansion. It feels more like desperation here instead of using logic.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Those numbers don't line up to what their own website says. Their combined weightings is 6.18% TSLA now.
Those numbers are directly from their site, and are listed as current as of 12/29.

ARKW: ARKW - ARK Next Generation Internet ETF | ark-funds.com:
1640832719710.png

ARKK: ARKK | The ARK Innovation ETF managed by Cathie Wood
1640832772157.png

ARKQ: ARKQ - Autonomous Technology & Robotics ETF by ARK Invest
1640832753014.png

Or are you talking about a total weight at all ARK funds, which includes funds like ARKF, ARKG, and ARKX which don't contain TSLA?

I thought I clicked on ARKK. Anyways it's throwing random numbers. now it's saying 7.36%

Maybe try going to the actual source instead of some third-party, questionable, site:
1640832987611.png

Reactions: StealthP3D
ARKW: ARKW - ARK Next Generation Internet ETF | ark-funds.com:
View attachment 749857

ARKK: ARKK | The ARK Innovation ETF managed by Cathie Wood
View attachment 749860

ARKQ: ARKQ - Autonomous Technology & Robotics ETF by ARK Invest
View attachment 749858
Or are you talking about a total weight at ARK, which includes funds like ARKF, ARKG, and ARKX which don't contain TSLA?

Maybe try going to the actual source instead of some third-party questionable site.

This says otherwise - All 43 ARKK ETF Holdings

Not sure why there's different numbers listed. I've used this site before and it was always accurate. The combined weighting is exactly what is says it is, combined weight across all ARK funds. That's where the 6.18% comes from.

Edit: I assumed this site was a mimic of Ark's site. Either this site is off on their numbers or ARK hasn't updated their weightings after the trades of the day yet.

Not sure why there's different numbers listed. I've used this site before and it was always accurate. The combined weighting is exactly what is says it is, combined weight across all ARK funds. That's where the 6.18% comes from.
IMO a combined weighting is sort of useless, as it is out of Cathie's control, since it includes funds that specifically don't include TSLA. (And it was probably never much higher than it is now.)

They are still keeping the funds that hold TSLA close to the 10% maximum for buying. (With one still over that.)

Exactly. I'm in the camp that doesn't think Inflation is going to be sticking around for that long or be that extreme due to a number much larger deflationary forces, but I still think the Fed's are going to raise rates enough to where the bubble valuation of low revenue/no earnings/big potential stocks are going to continue to be hammered for the next couple of years. Some of these companies will actually succeed and their valuations will go up in the future, but we're talking like 3-5 years from now.

ARK is hoping that the burst bubble of these kinds of stocks will quickly re-inflate. I tend to think it's going to long and slow re-inflation of the valuation of these companies. In the meantime, they're using their TSLA shares as a piggy bank right as Tesla is about to go on a huge expansion. It feels more like desperation here instead of using logic.

Cathy Wood has redefined the concept of Buying the Dip.

Like the old saying goes: “Don‘t chase top fund managers, chase Elon Musk’s shares”

Well, Ross is on youtube having a debate about Cathie as we speak. Also talks about Tesla of course and trying to find the next Tesla(he said Tesla is not the next [email protected]'m sure he means Tesla wouldn't 10x again in the next 2 years).

Learned something new about ETFs. Apparently there's a tax loophole in which you can just trade in one stock for another without any tax consequences if it's an ETF only. He didn't understand why Cathie distributed gains to double down on her losers when she could have just traded say Tsla for Tdoc.

Respectfully, I would offer a slightly different opinion than this post of the previous post content simply because I think it important to zoom out and look at this with a 50,000' perspective of what ARK has been up against....with full disclosure that the portion of my portfolio that I 'diversified' into the full suite of ARK funds towards the end of the 2020/early 2021 long rally has been hammered to the tune of about a 30% loss after being up a similar amount (a considerable swing to the downside). Like many here I was willing to part with some TSLA shares into funds that included TSLA as part of their holdings - still not willing to cut the umbilical cord to the Mother Ship I guess. After the ARK spiral of 2021, the dust settled with >95% of our portfolio remaining in TSLA shares as a result. And the rise in TSLA since that diversification would have literally doubled the value of that ARK divestment as compared to the current value of the ARK funds following the 2021 losses across the ARK suite.

But given all this, I still think in all fairness to Cathie and the ARK team that like TSLA, they too were hammered by a substantial Short attack throughout much of 2021. Cathie was very outspoken throughout 2020 and early 2021 about her success as compared to traditionally managed funds. Cathie and Tasha Keeney were brutally honest about ARK's methods, investments, and successes. And they understandably became extremely popular as a result. So it came as no surprise to me that the ARK funds began to be beat down at the same time TSLA did..........which is notably also the same time Michael Burry came off the top rope against TSLA.

Every single stock in the entire suite of ARK funds with the exception of TSLA is a very easy target for Hedge Funds, Shorts, and slime like Michael Burry that put Profit above Planet and People. Why - because only TSLA has evolved to a level of sustainability through a world-wide support network of TSLA/Tesla fans and Investors, and Elon as CEO puts his entire portfolio on the line to secure and advance the mission of the company when Evil attacks. No other disruptive company in the suite of ARK funds can offer that protection IMO. Heck, many of the ARKG companies are just getting started. So when Evil attacks Cathie (most likely in the form of Ego-hurt silver-spoon fed old-money Wall Street managers that got run over by Cathie in 2020 and early 2021) then her portfolio gets beat up much more easily than TSLA. She gives the entire recipe of how to Short her ETF's in her holdings/% practically in real-time online. Shorting ARK is as easy as shorting any of the companies she holds for the Evil Empire.

Right or wrong I have not pulled a dime out of these funds. Why? What do you think TSLA would be worth if Cathie hadn't been putting herself out there on every CNBS morning interview and other show with forecasts of TSLA to $4,000 that came true while she was presented as the laughing stock of Wall Street before history proved her pencil was the sharpest in the room. Cathie went through hell for TSLA. And TSLA benefited IMO. So while I am down in my ARK suite, I am confident my larger portfolio (TSLA included) is far more valuable as a result of Cathie being willing to bleed on the sharp end of the spear for TSLA when few others would. And as long as I hold my ARK suite, Michael Burry and others can't sell it. I owe that to Cathie and her team. Investing with principles is rarely the most lucrative route, but investing with principles is why many of us chose TSLA and their sustainability goals in the first place. This too shall pass, even though the last administration and this administration would never even consider giving Burry or the Hedgies as much as a slap on the wrist for killing progress so aggressively. Elon was a better chess player in the long run when they tried to kill his company. Cathie can play a similar game of 3-D chess against these forces in the long run too, and she will come out on top if we invest in her as she invested in TSLA..........and invested in all of us in the process.

Last edited:
Will this have any effect on the share price? It is a bit old.
Starlink satellite forces Chinese space station to evasive maneuvers (July and October 2021). Millions of Chinese call for boycotting Tesla. China accusing the USA of violating international space treaties.

(in German)

Neuralink, the "phone"-brain connection goes to the next level
As someone who has played Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I refuse to stick a chip in my skull which is continuously connected to some external network. If they have an Isolate/Offline mode which lets you disable the radio transmitter/receiver, that actually completely cuts power to it and cannot be overridden by an external trigger to be turned back on, then I'll consider it. Otherwise, no thank you, now or ever.

Elon stirring the pot with X.com rumors. I'd invest in a heartbeat... though what mix of X and TSLA to buy would be a conundrum for me

Edit: actually if X were to become a parent company and own all of Tesla, spacex, boring, and neuralink then that makes it easy. I've wondered about a holding company owning a fraction of Tesla, providing the ability to separately own tesla