Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I’m glad they carved out an exception for automakers of exclusively electric vehicles, but it seems like that could be challenged by ICE manufacturers, (to allow for direct sales), or ICE dealers, to disallow direct sales of electric vehicles).

Don’t read the last paragraph, it is too political.
Actually, I thought the last two paragraphs were hysterical.
And oddly hopeful, it's just reassuring to see one lone journalist with a grasp of facts, the ability to connect dots, an engaging writing style, and a sense of humor.
Maybe others will follow...
1686860159953.png

Naah!

Jan.-April 2023Jan.-April 2022
1. Tesla Model Y127,54164,131
2. Tesla Model 372,25956,484
3. Chevrolet Bolt EUV16,0361,191
4. Volkswagen ID411,8583,527
5. Chevrolet Bolt EV8,653454
6. Tesla Model X8,2167,141
7. Ford Mustang Mach-E7,97210,625
8. Hyundai Ioniq 57,9578,589
9. Ford F-150 Lightning7,085100
10. BMW i46,560250

Actually, I thought the last two paragraphs were hysterical.
And oddly hopeful, it's just reassuring to see one lone journalist with a grasp of facts, the ability to connect dots, an engaging writing style, and a sense of humor.
Maybe others will follow...
View attachment 947314
Naah!
Things have certainly improved over the last few centuries. We used to believe in bloodletting now we believe in blood boys. Blood Optimus might be the next step up. Now back to regular programming.....

Paywalled, but i just wanted to share my laughs of the day with y'all:

1686867863135.png

Cannot say i am the least bit surprised because it is written by the infamous Al Root

"Tesla robotaxis to ‘transform society more than anything else’: RBC"

Tom Narayan wrote on Thursday. “We anticipate private cars being banned in many cities around the globe.”

Narayan says increasing sales volumes at a lower profitability, coupled with a greater focus on autonomous driving, is a winning strategy for the American automaker. Over time, he says, robotaxis could make up 70 per cent of Tesla’s value, with sales of autonomous driving software and vehicle sales representing the remaining 30 per cent.

Tesla recently struck deals allowing Ford (F) and General Motors (GM) vehicles to use Tesla's Supercharger network. Narayan says this shows the company's ability to leverage its products to create partnerships.

"Many believe this will serve as a trojan horse and enable software licensing in the future," he wrote.

Last edited:
Paywalled, but i just wanted to share my laughs of the day with y'all:

View attachment 947364

Cannot say i am the least bit surprised because it is written by the infamous Al Root
Just ignore the second sentence. Barron's just advertised that Tesla is an AI Stock. This still needs to sink in and worth every post!

Looks like TSLA is looking to monetize the NACS deal already... :)
Hey, wait those other OEM's didn't even implement it yet...
View attachment 947305

The mobile connector (perfectly usable for a home EVSE for those with shorter commutes) is still only $230.

I'm perfectly happy to charge at 32 amps ~7 KW with it permanently plugged into my 14-50 outlet in the garage.

Reading about TrendTraders experience with TSLL. I’m just learning about this now. So it’s 1.5 TSLA. If you’re playing on holding for 10 years what is the risk with TSLL?
Total loss most likely outcome. It's not a real stock, has fees to leach on the principal etc.

I hate those parasitic financial constructs just like the ones they force me into by matching my contributions to 401k while employed.

Between jobs I fix that by rolling my 401k into a rollover IRA to buy real TSLA with whatever is left after the Fonds managers did their 'magic'.

Just my personal opinion, probably.

Last edited:
Reading about TrendTraders experience with TSLL. I’m just learning about this now. So it’s 1.5 TSLA. If you’re playing on holding for 10 years what is the risk with TSLL?
Imagine a stock starts at $100. If it goes down 20% ($80) then up 25% ($100) it's back where it started. Meanwhile TSLL would go down 30% (1.5x20%) to $70, then up 37.5% (1.5x25%) to $96.25. So you're down 3.75% compared to just holding the stock. Note that this is the same outcome even if it goes up 25% first then down 20%.

So every time the price oscillates you lose a little bit over just holding. The upside for this risk is larger gains if it consistently goes up. But given enough time the decay from these oscillations will always win out.

In reality it's more complicated than this, because you also need to define over what timeframe the 1.5x leverage applies (minute, hour, day, year?). I believe TSLL tries to hit 1.5x on a daily interval. But the key concept remains the same regardless.

Also the fees that Skryll mentioned are eating away simultaneously.

The primary risk is that TSLL is significantly more volatile if you're using margin. Trendtrader is using lots of margin, so the common stock is much safer for him. Year to date TSLL is overperforming it's 1.5x daily leverage.

Imagine a stock starts at $100. If it goes down 20% ($80) then up 25% ($100) it's back where it started. Meanwhile TSLL would go down 30% (1.5x20%) to $70, then up 37.5% (1.5x25%) to $96.25. So you're down 3.75% compared to just holding the stock. Note that this is the same outcome even if it goes up 25% first then down 20%.

So every time the price oscillates you lose a little bit over just holding. The upside for this risk is larger gains if it consistently goes up. But given enough time the decay from these oscillations will always win out.

In reality it's more complicated than this, because you also need to define over what timeframe the 1.5x leverage applies (minute, hour, day, year?). I believe TSLL tries to hit 1.5x on a daily interval. But the key concept remains the same regardless.

Also the fees that Skryll mentioned are eating away simultaneously.
I never understood how that works

Do they use options to make it perform a multiple of the base stock? And the 1.5x in this case is just a goal of what they aim to do?

Still doesn't make sense, because if it's going up they buy calls to multiply it, but what do they do if it's going down to lose more than the amount it's going down? Buy the wrong calls or puts so they lose money on purpose with wrong trades to make it go down 1.5X worse than the actual stock?

Reactions: kbM3
[...] Year to date TSLL is overperforming it's 1.5x daily leverage.
If you bought 2025 $420 leaps in January 2023 instead of TSLL, how much would you be up today?

It just happens so YTD 2023 is easy to benefit from, how about since TSLL inception Aug 9, 2022 ?

Kudos to @TrendTrader007 for taking one for the team and trying it out with real money, and making it out alive.

Last edited:
Copied from article on Yahoo Finance. SK Signet the latest to join.

You know what? I think Tesla might be onto something with this NACS thing.

UPDATE 1-SK Signet to launch EV chargers with Tesla's charging standard this year

By Hyunjoo Jin and Samrhitha A

June 15 (Reuters) - SK Signet said on Thursday it will introduce electric-vehicle chargers compatible with Tesla's technology this year, following recent moves by major automakers Ford and GM to adopt Tesla's North American Charging Standard (NACS).

Electric vehicle charging companies are cautiously embracing Tesla's charging design, as they are in danger of losing out on customers if they offer only the Combined Charging System (CCS) backed by automakers like Volkswagen and Hyundai Motor.

SK Signet, which counts charging station operators Electrify America, EVgo and others as its customers, said it has started development of its ultra-fast chargers that will be able to simultaneously charge EVs using NACS and CCS.

The White House last week said that EV charging stations that offer Tesla plugs would be eligible for billions of dollars in federal subsidies as long as they included CCS connectivity. The White House aims to spur deployment of hundreds of thousands of chargers, which it sees as integral to EV adoption.

"SK Signet will continue to expand charging options for EVs, including those with NACS standards, to support the build-out of a robust U.S. charging network," said Seung-June Oh, president of SK Signet America.

SK Signet, acquired by South Korea's conglomerate SK Group in 2021, is one of the major charging equipment makers. Earlier this month, the company opened its first U.S. manufacturing center in Texas, with the capacity to make more than 10,000 ultra-fast chargers a year. (Reporting by Hyunjoo Jin in San Francisco and Samrhitha Arunasalam in Bengaluru Editing by Maju Samuel and Matthew Lewis)