Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like Tesla rerouted to other "ports" and so the union in Sweden is pushing out the date for the blockade. If I recall this story correctly, initially it was 4 Train ports planned. At what point do we just drive them to customers using FSD? And I'd love to hear what the customers of all those vehicles think of this.

"...planned to extend its blockade of the automaker’s shipments to every Swedish port, starting Nov. 17."

There are several other ways of getting cars into Sweden.

🍿

I don't know much about unions. But how many union members work for fossil car makers? Or oil companies? I am just curious about random union facts here...

That's the last update I heard. So my current expectation is set to Dec 31st, 2024.

I desire the performance but I think it would be great for Tesla to offer a low powered and less expensive version that is basically a competitor to the Miata. When people see them, they won't know which version it is until it accelerates.
This is a wonderful idea. Economies of Scale and all that it entails. Tesla could offer 3 tiers with the base being a single-motor RWD utilizing the M3 motor and pack. Price it close to an M3 dual motor or Performance and Oof da that would sell!

This surely won't get a standing O here, but I am undisturbed by the lack of progress on the Roadster. To me, it's purpose was to increase (or continue) perception of Tesla as a company that can make the fastest production car on the planet. With the S Plaid this lane seemed to get narrower and narrower. More importantly, there was always a tenuous connection to the Mission with such performance model goals. It feels to me that connection is nearly non-existent now that Tesla is clearly targeting a car for the masses. I recognize that I am not the target market for a supercar like the Roadster, so disclose my bias there. If I was willing to part with that kind of money for any car, I would likely have a different perspective. Also, while it's obvious I will say this is just my opinion and I respect others' may be different.
Same can be said about the solar. Zero progress.

The only hope could be that the progress has been silent and when the day comes it will all show up in garages (roofs?).

Some reasons for roadster delay?
  • The plaid S is just SO GOOD, that it makes putting together a compelling roadster incredibly hard. No point in a roadster that doesnt have a signficiant advantage over the plaid S, especially given its higher price.
  • Elon is becoming more aware of financial pressures on people, and is also very sensitive to criticisims of his wealth. Making a super-expensive supercar is maybe not the direction he wants to take the company any more. The perception of expensive Tesla's may indeed be hurting 3/Y sales.

I'd much rather Tesla ship 10,000 semis before they even consider the roadster. The semi will reduce emissions way more than a supercar kept in a garage.

The only hope could be that the progress has been silent and when the day comes it will all show up in garages (roofs?).
Tesla solar is installing on a house two doors down from me today. I planned on ordering last year... and then this year... what is holding me back is personal finances. If I knew I could get it activated before the end of 2023, thereby being eligible for the tax credits on my next return, I would likely order today as I could move money around with those credits coming soon.

• The plaid S is just SO GOOD, that it makes putting together a compelling roadster incredibly hard. No point in a roadster that doesnt have a signficiant advantage over the plaid S, especially given its higher price.
  • Elon is becoming more aware of financial pressures on people, and is also very sensitive to criticisims of his wealth. Making a super-expensive supercar is maybe not the direction he wants to take the company any more. The perception of expensive Tesla's may indeed be hurting 3/Y sales.

I'd much rather Tesla ship 10,000 semis before they even consider the roadster. The semi will reduce emissions way more than a supercar kept in a garage.
I agree with many of the views on the roadster. It shouldn't be a priority, but it is desired. An area Tesla does not have an offering is convertibles. The new roadster with T Tops is the closest thing.

That's why I suggested a lower end version. Something with a 50 kWh pack and 0-60 of 8 seconds, but much less expensive, would appeal to people that have convertibles as second vehicles for town driving and relaxing local trips in nice weather. I intend to purchase the supercar roadster (stock price dependent) when possible, but I think the other version could be popular.

Not a priority compared to Tesla's current plans and ramps but perhaps an idea to be considered.

Tesla solar is installing on a house two doors down from me today. I planned on ordering last year... and then this year... what is holding me back is personal finances. If I knew I could get it activated before the end of 2023, thereby being eligible for the tax credits on my next return, I would likely order today as I could move money around with those credits coming soon.

I agree with many of the views on the roadster. It shouldn't be a priority, but it is desired. An area Tesla does not have an offering is convertibles. The new roadster with T Tops is the closest thing.

That's why I suggested a lower end version. Something with a 50 kWh pack and 0-60 of 8 seconds, but much less expensive, would appeal to people that have convertibles as second vehicles for town driving and relaxing local trips in nice weather. I intend to purchase the supercar roadster (stock price dependent) when possible, but I think the other version could be popular.

Not a priority compared to Tesla's current plans and ramps but perhaps an idea to be considered.
Tesla has not mentioned anything solar in past 2-3 shareholders calls. Nada. The whole news is that they want to go with certified installers. Nothing's going on in my neck of the woods regarding Tesla solar.

Tesla has not mentioned anything solar in past 2-3 shareholders calls. Nada. The whole news is that they want to go with certified installers. Nothing's going on in my neck of the woods regarding Tesla solar.
Why would shareholders ask about Tesla solar? People only focus on questions specifically tailored to pump the stock price on Say.com. Because of course I want to know about CT demand out of Elon's mouth vs him talking about the solar division that does nothing to the SP. I find it quite satisfying seeing Elon tank the stock every time he talks on earnings while shareholders are there to try him to do the opposite.

Well, kinda agree. I mean, I can draw a pretty clear line from the Mission to solar. As for progress, completely agree. Even bulls have to concede that this is not a priority or a particularly successful component of Tesla. Historical reasons why this is so, but to me its a far more commodity market for solar and not a particularly attractive one. As much as I support moving solar forward, there are plenty of other companies doing that better than Tesla - again IMO.

Excellent point(s). You bring up the key word compelling. Assuming the roadster isn't just a pretty face, having meaningful performance beyond the Plaid MS is creating not just a never-seen-before insanely capable vehicle (ie SpaceX package), but also a fantastically dangerous one. I suspect that this view will be glossed over here with comments about Lamborghini and Ferrari, but with great power comes great responsibility and I think a roadster that has meaningful performance beyond the Plaid MS will carry some undesirable liability. Just sayin'

Potentially good news.....

In the UK, it has been announced that the government will seek to put through a bill in the next session of parliament allowing self driving cars to operate on UK roads, where the manufacturer of the self driving software would take liability.

Bill to enable self-driving cars to be used on Britain’s roads

I think it will be a long time until Tesla will be ready to assume liability for Autopilot.

IMHO what they need now is being allowed to do as much as possible with Autopilot while the driver is responsible and alert, so the system can learn from take-overs. That´s what UNECE is working towards, hopefully to be finalized next year. (Just checked, UK is part of UNECE, too.)

Ferrari, Porsche, Audi, and Honda to name a few will have EV hyper cars in a couple of years. Its a market that is about to get pretty crowded with not much ROI for Tesla .If Tesla needs a flagship it should be the Model S. When the time comes for next gen Model S (not a refresh, full on new platform, and batteries), it should receive the latest tech and not a niche Roadster. IMO.

Reactions: Drax7 and alhounos
Expect a long lead time of several months for New Solar. I think at this time would be too late for this year, (unless a miracle happened with the process since). We could not count it on our tax return until the City, SRP, and Tesla all agree it's OK to power up everything and call it "installed" - by Dec 31. We pushed it along come to find out they extended the deduction. Best of luck, you'll love it!

• Informative
Reactions: Drumheller