Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife was driving her Model S Long Range and was recently in an accident with a J.B. Hunt semi truck. It was a slow merge into traffic so not a whole lot of damage. When we looked into the video and found out that the last update had turned off all the cameras. I found where you have to actually turn on the cameras. It would have been nice if this was mentioned somewhere. If it was in the updates, I didn't see it. Also, why can't these updates forward to your phone instead of having to sit in the car to read them.
processed-5ab10ae6-8305-44eb-b343-fa65288c59ff_rPjz8qCl.jpeg
processed-96f5c935-5bcf-45f9-a54a-dd85eb078dc2_0FVfLc4b.jpeg

Attachments

• processed-96f5c935-5bcf-45f9-a54a-dd85eb078dc2_0FVfLc4b.jpeg
    processed-96f5c935-5bcf-45f9-a54a-dd85eb078dc2_0FVfLc4b.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 84
Unfortunate for the damage to your vehicle. Settings being changed with a software update tends to be random thing in my experience. And when it has happened, hasn't been something systemic that all users experienced with that same update. Personally I've learned to quick review key settings after each update. 90+% of the time everything will be fine, but has been a time or two where I'll spot something being changed.

Same situation with updates to the app on my phone. Sometimes I'll see notifications settings change, but not on a consistent basis.

Reactions: KyleDay
It’s not just the settings. I’ve found a few times after recent firmware updates that recording had stopped because the USB drive was no longer recognized. So I’ve learned to remove and insert the USB followed by formatting to ensure it works.

It’s easy to miss if it’s not recording, and it’s unfortunate that OP was left without video footage.

Reactions: KyleDay
On the same topic, if you download the manual to your computer, will it be the latest version?
I don't find it at all easy or convenient to sit in the car and read through the manual to find out how something has changed, quite apart from the low contrast text. You can't flip forward and back via links etc in the car and of course you can't check out something on the same screen without having to go through all the steps to get back to the manual's position of that item.

Also, why can't these updates forward to your phone instead of having to sit in the car to read them.

I agree with your point. I usually google for the exact Tesla software update version number to review what's in it before/after installing. There are a few web sites that will give you all the official tesla release notes and quite often some extra unofficial information which can be handy. I doubt they would cover settings changes though.

Sorry to hear of your prang, hope nobody was hurt. Pranging expensive bits of metal is upsetting but cars can be replaced unlike people.