Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla vs ICE in Emergency Evacuation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm.... didn't think of that, but these 2000w inverter generators are surprisingly quiet. Only about 54db or so. During a zombie apocalypse, there'll be tons of regular generators running that'll be alot louder. I could always hide my generator-charging Tesla beside a line of Ford F150s idling waiting to fill up.

At idle they are quiet. Once you actually draw power from them, they ramp up in speed and they get really loud.

How would that be worse? I'd rather stay home or where ever it is I evacuated to and slowly charge my car than sit in a line for several hours. And 110v would be worst case. I can always find a way to charge at 240v :)

Yeah assuming you have already evacuated... but an SR+ takes about 30-50 hrs to charge 0-100% on a 110V line...assuming it’s not below 45 degrees. So if I need to unexpectedly evacuate, even starting at 50%...that would be miserable lol

I understand that some people don't have an outlet available at all where they park, and for them it's a definite concern. For me, though, I just always have my car plugged in when I'm at home. It takes all of 10 seconds to plug the thing in, and it gives me the reassurance that even though I've got the "short range" SR+, I've always got a reliable 200+ miles range on it.

One of the cool things about the SR+ is it's just a smidge more efficient than the long range cars, so you get more miles from your charging time. It's enough that I'm able to just use a regular 110V outlet for charging mine, and I have a 50 mile daily commute. So yeah, so long as I live in an area with superchargers (and by "area" I mean "within 150 miles or so"), I would have no problem evacuating in my Tesla.

Depends on how far you have to go how quickly. For distances below 80% of the car’s range, you’re probably better off in an EV stuck in evacuation traffic. If you have to go further, charging becomes an issue and superchargers would likely be backed up or unavailable and trickle charging would take too long.

That's PRETTY rare. Especially in VA. I imagine the #1 for evacuation in VA would be a Hurricane and you're gonna have at least ~48 hours notice.

Even for a forest fire you'll usually have a good
idea that there might be problems a few days in advance.
I don't believe that those words ("So if I need to unexpectedly evacuate, ") can be attributed to me. The post of mine you referenced (#15, via the uparrow) does not have that quote.

I understand that some people don't have an outlet available at all where they park, and for them it's a definite concern. For me, though, I just always have my car plugged in when I'm at home. It takes all of 10 seconds to plug the thing in, and it gives me the reassurance that even though I've got the "short range" SR+, I've always got a reliable 200+ miles range on it.

One of the cool things about the SR+ is it's just a smidge more efficient than the long range cars, so you get more miles from your charging time. It's enough that I'm able to just use a regular 110V outlet for charging mine, and I have a 50 mile daily commute. So yeah, so long as I live in an area with superchargers (and by "area" I mean "within 150 miles or so"), I would have no problem evacuating in my Tesla.

agree, that’s an option but still...may not always be able to plan ahead and schedule charging for all evacuation scenarios. Admittedly they’re also an extremely low likelihood...and if they’re high occurrence incidents for you maybe an EV ain’t the way to go for your “only” vehicle...

Right now there are super-long lines at gas stations during an emergency, but as EVs become more popular, there will be super long lines at chargers too (and charging is a whole lot slower). Living here in SoCal, there are already lines daily at most superchargers in San Diego and Los Angeles areas.

I think Tesla should re-think their past plan of giving free supercharging during emergencies. I know they don't want to be seen as profiting off a disaster, but there may be the unintended consequence of creating and incentive to use the superchargers more and increasing congestion. They may have done this already as I don't recall hearing about free supercharging this hurricane and wildfire season.

Part of the "evacuation equation" would be the expected time of travel, as much as the distance. While EVs are much more efficient at stop-and-go or idle, there is still a cost when not moving. It must be at least 1 mile of range per hour just for the onboard electronics, significantly more when using climate control.

Part of the "evacuation equation" would be the expected time of travel, as much as the distance. While EVs are much more efficient at stop-and-go or idle, there is still a cost when not moving. It must be at least 1 mile of range per hour just for the onboard electronics, significantly more when using climate control.

Aren’t there some evaporative losses for ICE though?

I can indirectly charge my Teslas from my 11 kW of solar panels. I should be able to fill my S from empty with that in a day, or more likely top up my 3 and my S.

I also have 3 power walls, or about 20 kWh of power stored for use. Of course the solar fills the power walls which then fill the car, but something might work in a major outage. Although that isn't the intended use, as I don't believe in such fantasies as Zombies or crazy apocalypse theories. Mostly the power walls give me power when we have our daily PG&E outage, which can last from 3 minutes to 3 weeks. If it weren't tor that, I wouldn't need power walls.

More importantly, to me, is where can I go? Even with 400 miles of range, these pretend zombies will be everywhere, right? I'm guessing that if I just lock my garage doors, the cars are safe... or do Zombies drive cars?? And can they break into my car if I'm in it? Pretty silly, if you ask me.

I think Tesla should re-think their past plan of giving free supercharging during emergencies. I know they don't want to be seen as profiting off a disaster, but there may be the unintended consequence of creating and incentive to use the superchargers more and increasing congestion. They may have done this already as I don't recall hearing about free supercharging this hurricane and wildfire season.

If it's free or low cost, people won't have incentive to leave sooner and try top off even if they don't have to, thus making lines longer.

If there is a cost people need to think about, then they will only take what they need.

No one is going to be honest even in an emergency.