Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger slows down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Tesla wall charger Gen 2 (I think) which plugs into a 14-50 50amp 240v socket. Lately, it has been charging very slowly. It starts out at 40amps, as expected, but within a half hour, it slows down and eventually gets down to 15amps. It behaves the same way for both of my Teslas and my other wall charger (Gen 3) works normally for both Teslas. How does one go about solving this problem?

I would recommend starting with checking the car(s) for the error messages generated when the charging rate slows down. I am not an expert on the electrical side of setup for wall connectors / outlets, but this normally happens because the car is "detecting something" and slowing the charge rate down in response.

The "charger" is actually in the car. People call them "wall chargers" out of convenience, but they are simply fancy extension cords with some technology in them to announce to the car how much power is available. It is the car which decides what speed to charge at. If the car starts at a higher speed, then slows down, its normally because it detects a problem.

There are a few different problems that can occur, but if "it works perfectly with this one hard wired wall connector, but does not work properly with this wall connector that has a pigtail on it", the issue is likely the connection in either the wall connector to its pigtail, or the outlet you are plugging into.

I would recommend starting with checking the car(s) for the error messages generated when the charging rate slows down. I am not an expert on the electrical side of setup for wall connectors / outlets, but this normally happens because the car is "detecting something" and slowing the charge rate down in response.

The "charger" is actually in the car. People call them "wall chargers" out of convenience, but they are simply fancy extension cords with some technology in them to announce to the car how much power is available. It is the car which decides what speed to charge at. If the car starts at a higher speed, then slows down, its normally because it detects a problem.

There are a few different problems that can occur, but if "it works perfectly with this one hard wired wall connector, but does not work properly with this wall connector that has a pigtail on it", the issue is likely the connection in either the wall connector to its pigtail, or the outlet you are plugging into
What is a pigtail? Is it the 2' long cable from the wall connector to the 14-50 outlet?

Yes, since wall connectors in general are hard wired. Tesla did sell some like that, but they are somewhat rare (and have not been available from tesla with that cable attached for at quite some time).
So mine is a collector's item. I'd be glad to sell it to the highest bidder ;)

Originally, when I got the car, I had a 14-50 outlet installed because I was planning to just use the mobile connector. Unfortunately that turned out to be slow and unreliable so when the plug in wall charger became available, I got it. The installation was easy ;)