Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector pigtail - what kind of 50am range cord to use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to put a pigtail on a wall connector to plug into my curren 14-50 socket. I have seen some people post that they have done this but I wanted to ask which 50amp range cord to use. I see a 3 and 4 prong cord. Can someone please advise me on which one to use?

It is not recommended to add a power plug pigtail to the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector as the installation of the Wall Connector with a power plug would not meet code. The only code correct installation of the Gen3 Wall Connector is to hardwire the Wall Connector into the circuit.

Reactions: Rocky_H
The Tesla installation guide does not provide instructions for fitting a power plug to the Wall Connector, hence it would not be code compliant to add a power plug to the Wall Connector.

When an EVSE comes from the factory with a power plug there is a temperature sensor built into the molded plug designed to detect an unsafe high temperature condition at the plug. If the power plug temperature sensor detects an unsafe high temperature at the plug the EVSE would shut off (stop charging the EV) before the overheating power plug could start a fire.

if you are plugging into a NEMA 14-50, then you’d have to get a 50A 4 wire range cord. Ignore the white/neutral wire when connecting it to the Wall Connector. I believe a 3 wire 50A range cord wouldn’t be a NEMA 14-50, it’d be something like a 10-50 plug.

See here for different plug types: CarCharging.us

Reactions: E90alex
If you choose to go ahead with the pigtail, ensure you have a GFCI breaker (about $150) and a Bryant or Hubbell outlet (about $80). But I strongly agree with the others, this needs to be a hardwire connection.
Wall Connector includes integrated GFCI protection. Adding a GFCI breaker on the outlet that then feeds a Wall Connector will cause nuisance tripping. But GFCI is code required now for outlet. So catch-22. Can't add GFCI, but need to add GFCI.

Don't do it. Just go hardwire. Don't pigtail the Wall Connector.

Wall Connector includes integrated GFCI protection

Sort of. The integrated GFCI protection protects between the WC and the car, just like the one in the mobile connector. The GFCI breaker in the breaker box protects the outlet. The so called nuisance trips, that many people with mobile connectors think is caused by having two GFCI breakers is not correct. Such trips are related to wiring or connection issues.

But of course, hardwiring in the way to go. 😉

you would simply install a male 14-50. What is called a 14-50p. Since you are not altering the base circuit there is no requirement to upgrade it to GFCI.

personally I would not hesitate. I would back down WC configuration to 40 amps to buy myself some headroom, and I’d make it a point of leaving the WC plugged in at all times.