Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector on 50 amp breaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new Model 3. I would like to install the Tesla Wall Connector. I have an available 50 amp breaker. If I install the Wall Connector to the 50 amp breaker, the car will draw 40 amps and I should add 37 miles per hour to my battery. Is this correct? I know I could up the breaker to 60 amps, but with my panel this adds a number of issues.

Am I correct on the 50 amp breaker adding 37 miles? Here is where I found the charging information.

Home Charging Installation

Yes I think that is correct based on this chart. You just need to set the rotary switch in the Wall Connector to the proper setting and that is in the instructions. Easy to do.

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 5.57.19 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: scrapps
Do you have NEMA 14-50, 240 on that 50amp breaker now? $500 plus install of ~$700 for wall connector didn’t make sense to me. Only increases output from 32 amps with NEMA 14-50 to 40 amps with wall connector. Plus 30 miles per hour versus 37 miles per hour for wall charger is nominal unless you discharge battery fully and need to recharge 100% in less than 10 hours overnight. Sure, going to 60 amp breaker and 48 amp output sounds great, but how much will that cost you?

Unless you have 2 Teslas of course. In which case the wall charger can balance the charge loads, and then 100amp breaker makes the most sense.

Reactions: karpetkutter
You are correct.

I put my wall connector in a 50a breaker and it provides plenty of charging for me (Model S) overnight.

You would likely be fine with the UMC and a 14-50 as well.

Just remember that the Gen2 UMC provided these days is only 32 amps on a 14-50 while the Gen1 UMC delivers 40 amps to the car. Likely still "fine" for most people, but it is not the same as a Wall Connector on a 50 amp breaker.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H