Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instaling a level 2 wall charger in a mobil home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I am in the process of buying a mobil home and want to instal a level 2 wall charger to charge my model 3 but just want to make sure the panel can support it. Im no electrician but I know a bit. There are obviously open spaces to add another 220v breaker and the panel is a 100 amp panel and the charger wont draw more than 48 amps so that shouldn't be a problem either right? Are there any red flags that I'm missing here?

Attachments

• image0.pdf
    555.1 KB · Views: 39
Since you would have to install (2) 60amp breakers to get 48 amp charging, and the panel is only 100amps, my suggestion would be to not worry about charging at the "fastest speed the car can charge" but charge at a speed that will work for your needs.

I would probably install (2) 30 amp breakers for 24 amp charging which on a typical model 3 is going to be "around" 22 miles per hour of charge. Or, if I needed to fit my charging into midnight to 6amp for Time of Use (which you likely do, in SoCal Like me), and 22 MPH times 6 wasnt enough for my daily charging routine, I might up the breaker to (2) 40 amp breakers for 32 amp charging, which is 30 MPH.

30 MPH times 6 is 180 miles of charge during the midnight to 6am time of use period, so as long as you are not driving more than roughly 180 miles of range a day, it would be fine.

I wouldnt install a 240v 60amp circuit in a 100 amp main panel.

Upvote 0
I would also add, if your over-subscribed on your breaker panel make sure and charge when your energy usage is low. I start charging at midnight when the washer / dryer, dishwasher, pool motor isn’t in use. Lights, TV and the likes are off.

I agree with @jjrandorin , no need you install a 60amp breaker. Do some math on how many hours you need to charge each night and downgrade the breaker.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since you would have to install (2) 60amp breakers to get 48 amp charging, and the panel is only 100amps, my suggestion would be to not worry about charging at the "fastest speed the car can charge" but charge at a speed that will work for your needs.

I would probably install (2) 30 amp breakers for 24 amp charging which on a typical model 3 is going to be "around" 22 miles per hour of charge. Or, if I needed to fit my charging into midnight to 6amp for Time of Use (which you likely do, in SoCal Like me), and 22 MPH times 6 wasnt enough for my daily charging routine, I might up the breaker to (2) 40 amp breakers for 32 amp charging, which is 30 MPH.

30 MPH times 6 is 180 miles of charge during the midnight to 6am time of use period, so as long as you are not driving more than roughly 180 miles of range a day, it would be fine.

I wouldnt install a 240v 60amp circuit in a 100 amp main panel.
Awesome thank you for the info. Where I currently live we use a charge point home charger at 40 amps on a 50 amp breaker and that is more than sufficient for my driving needs at the moment. I currently drive roughly 70-80 miles on a typical day, which equates to about 30-40% of my battery usage. once I move that will probably go up to closer to 100 miles a day of daily driving.
I usually plug my car in around 30-40% and rarely charge over 80% so I don't necessarily need incredibly fast charging speeds.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
I would also add, if your over-subscribed on your breaker panel make sure and charge when your energy usage is low. I start charging at midnight when the washer / dryer, dishwasher, pool motor isn’t in use. Lights, TV and the likes are off.

I agree with @jjrandorin , no need you install a 60amp breaker. Do some math on how many hours you need to charge each night and downgrade the breaker.
Gotcha, thanks for the tips on utilizing power to not overload the breaker. Thats smart

Upvote 0
You probably could put a 48A load there, but I’d feel better with a 40A load and a 50A breaker. You’d get to use cheaper wire too. Tips about DIY installs: Advice for EV Charging in North America
Thanks for the tips! The current charge point wall charger I use is set to charge at 40 amps off of a 50 amp breaker so I have no need to increase to 48 amps at the new place as the current set up meats my needs just fine. I'll keep doing research to see what works.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Upvote 0
A NEMA 5-20 outlet would allow for 16a/120v charging or about 1.7kw/hr into the battery, after losses, via 12-2 wire and a 20amp breaker. A NEMA 6-20 outlet would allow 16a/240v charging or about 3.6kw/hr into the battery via 12-2 wire and a 20amp two pole 240v breaker.

An existing exterior outlet could be converted to a NEMA 5-20 or a possibly a NEMA 6-20 using the existing wire, if it's 12-2.

Upvote 0
A NEMA 5-20 outlet would allow for 16a/120v charging or about 1.7kw/hr into the battery, after losses, via 12-2 wire and a 20amp breaker. A NEMA 6-20 outlet would allow 16a/240v charging or about 3.6kw/hr into the battery via 12-2 wire and a 20amp two pole 240v breaker.

An existing exterior outlet could be converted to a NEMA 5-20 or a possibly a NEMA 6-20 using the existing wire, if it's 12-2.
Good to know, Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I am in the process of buying a mobil home and want to instal a level 2 wall charger to charge my model 3 but just want to make sure the panel can support it. Im no electrician but I know a bit. There are obviously open spaces to add another 220v breaker and the panel is a 100 amp panel and the charger wont draw more than 48 amps so that shouldn't be a problem either right? Are there any red flags that I'm missing here?
My home panel is rated for 125A. It already supports oven with 40A breaker, dryer at 30A breaker. The breakers here are dual breaker type. You will need similar one.
For Tesla 3, a 40A breaker is good as the model 3 only draws 32A. I use 6/3 wire with the 50A breaker.

Upvote 0
For Tesla 3, a 40A breaker is good as the model 3 only draws 32A.
Well, hold on. Don't go putting wrong information out there. Tesla doesn't set the size of the onboard charger by just the bigger category of the model, like Model 3. The Model 3 might have a 32A charger or might have a 48A charger, depending on what version of it you get. They pick the charger type by the battery sizes. The smaller battery ones, like the SR or SR+ are the ones that have the smaller charger. The bigger battery ones, like Long Range or Performance ones have the bigger 48A chargers in them.

Upvote 0
Well, hold on. Don't go putting wrong information out there.
Sorry , I meant Tesla3 SR RWD which I have. If I bought a better Tesla model that can draw 48A for charging, what I have is still usable. It just take longer to do a full charge but that is done at night.
And the OP is referring to a mobile home. I would not install a 60A breaker (to get 48A charging) in a mobile home.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0