Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wallcharger or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no finish time The car starts at 0030 and goes on till its finished. It charges at 7kw. It’s coming up to 4 years old now I don’t know how long they’re supposed to last and it’s outside exposed the weather.

I’m still waiting for Tesla to get back to me, can they diagnose the charger remotely? I hope I don’t have to get a new one as I like the simplicity of a dumb charger.

I first got the older Tesla Wall charger - then upgraded to the WiFi version - and then replaced them with a Zappi with WiFi.

Tesla's charge scheduler / software is just stupid. WiFi did not bring any benefits.

I like the Zappi charger a lot more.

I believe the latest V3 Tesla charger now allows you to schedule start and stop times (it might need updated software) by controlling it and not the car. I've an older V2 that doesn't so can't confirm but I'm sure somebody posted a picture of the screen.

I like the Zappi charger a lot more

Personally I prefer a Scheduler which tells the car to start (stop) charging ... and then the wall charger just needs to be dumb. Any car that plugs in can then just get juice when it needs it (either of our two cars, or a visitor). A Smart Charger needs to be told what to do when something different needs to happen, or if a charge is needed during the day have to tell both the car and the charger to start (or have the charger in a state where it is ON during the day (and car is, normally, OFF).

My scheduler has events for start / stop charging, remind me if SoC is below X% and not plugged in, increase the AMPs to 32 at start of off Peak charging (in case I've reduced them for some other reason ... which is a pain if overnight charging then only charges at 5AMP :( ) and so on.

A thing I’ve noticed is the reported amount of charge is wrong. Last night it correctly charged from 50 to 60% but the Tesla app said “20% add in last charging session”.

I might try the Tesla mate app.