Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will remove Metallic Silver/Obsidian Black Metallic from Configuration (available off-menu)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's pretty clear that Tesla's production bottleneck is painting and it also seems to be the #1 delivery quality issue. As long as demand exceeds production capability and there's a looming tax credit phase out, Tesla should do whatever it takes to streamline production.

They're going to have to make changes if they ever expect to deliver 250,000+ cars per year and even more changes once production capabilities exceed demand.

It's pretty clear that Tesla's production bottleneck is painting and it also seems to be the #1 delivery quality issue.
Since we don’t work for Tesla in the production and manufacturing department, we can’t know for sure, but in general I agree with your statement. But I would not assume that Model 3 paint quality is the “#1” delivery issue. I just took delivery of a silver Model 3 Dual Motor , and after washing, detailing, and closely inspecting the car I could not find any paint defects. I did find a single 1 cm, 2mm deep scratch in an interior plastic panel in an area that almost no one would ever look at. My Service Center agreed to replace it, no questions asked. That is the only defect I could find.

CE603FB5-E59D-4D72-B4EA-56AC51CDF859.jpeg

Since we don’t work for Tesla in the production and manufacturing department, we can’t know for sure, but in general I agree with your statement. But I would not assume that Model 3 paint quality is the “#1” delivery issue. I just took delivery of a silver Model 3 Dual Motor , and after washing, detailing, and closely inspecting the car I could not find any paint defects. I did find a single 1 cm, 2mm deep scratch in an interior plastic panel in an area that almost no one would ever look at. My Service Center agreed to replace it, no questions asked. That is the only defect I could find.

View attachment 334255
I didn't mean to imply that Tesla had a widespread paint quality problem, just that the majority of the delivery complaints in the owner's groups I frequent have been paint related. On the whole, I think the majority of vehicles they're delivering are near perfect, but the fact they keep adjusting paint pricing/availability and the paint related delivery issues that people complain about; makes me think that painting is the current struggle.

It's not a bad thing, there's always going to be some bottleneck.