Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y leasing options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My best guess is that Tesla does not have enough resale data to determine accurate residual % for the 3 and Y. The 3 is probably closer to hitting the lease-to-buy option since it's been on the road a few years already.

If they estimate residual too low at start of lease - they lose money.
If they estimate too high - they lose money.

I'm not capping on Tesla at the moment (though I do quite a bit...) but resale on my older S is horrible.

I understand that the quick pace of product improvement has a lot to do with that.

So keep that in mind as far as long-term ownership decisions.

The S and X have more of a track record of course.
No, it's for robotaxi. They have always said robotaxi is why you can't buy out the 3/Y.

They want the lease returns for robotaxi (which is lightyears away from reality).

I like your thinking, except, I rarely see the benefit in buying out a lease, the price is always high. You could just get a new shiny car w/ better tech/styling/features in 3 years.

A couple reasons. I might be retired then, and paying off the car could very well be less expensive than getting the shiny new toy. If the Model Y is anywhere near as good as my Model 3, I probably don't need anything better, maybe never. With 326 miles of range, it gets me to all my normal travel destinations with no issues via fast Supercharging. I guess the only reason I would not buy it off the lease would be if it had issues. Maybe the FUD of watching too many "hair in the paint job" (Consumer Reports I'm looking at you!) videos has me spooked.

OT rant: Speaking of which, I watched their long term Model Y review yesterday. The car they are using for the long term test drive had no issues with panel gaps, or paint quality, no problems at all, etc. But then one of the guys chimes in with: "Well, our car is fine, but we heard reports about hair in the paint, yadda, yadda, yadda..." AYFKM? Yeah right, my uncle Joe in Chicago has a friend down the street who says that EVs are destroying the planet... :rolleyes:

My Model 3 has the FSD purchased up front for $3,000. I just got the HW3 upgrade a few months back, and am looking forward to seeing how this ends up working over time. So I plan on keeping the 3 to see how that plays out, and its a great car. The bigger Model Y would be nice for road trips, and less gymnastics required to get in/out.

RT

Reactions: Snow Drift
Uh... if I had a dollar for every time one of Elon's tweets didn't come true...

Let's all agree that Tesla's are pretty cool cars

Let's all also agree that Elon is a master marketer who isn't very good at hitting the "mute" button sometimes
I'm not saying I think it will happen, but that is why they want an inventory of old cars 3 years from now. It is not because they can't make an educated guess about resale (which is how leases work), or that they don't trust their assumption (since S/X can be bought out).

Frankly, it says you can sell the lease to a third-party car dealer, just not a person. I assume Tesla thinks they can buy it back cheaper at auction.

I'm not saying I think it will happen, but that is why they want an inventory of old cars 3 years from now. It is not because they can't make an educated guess about resale (which is how leases work), or that they don't trust their assumption (since S/X can be bought out).

Frankly, it says you can sell the lease to a third-party car dealer, just not a person. I assume Tesla thinks they can buy it back cheaper at auction.

If you sell your lease to a 3rd party dealer - Tesla will no longer honor the warranty after the sale. So this is a good way for Tesla to be off the hook for any 3's or Y's that still have some original warranty left. Kinda sneaky...

I always look at cars as depreciable assets regardless. I don't care about shiny and new more than not having an unexpected large repair bills. I opted to just buy my Y and did so today. Lot's to love and hate about Tesla. One thing is for sure though - thinking of getting one that made me look into their stock and buying it in March of this year was the best thing that ever happened to me.