Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive or not?

Did you test drive a Model 3 before ordering/delivery?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the username, I think a lot of us feel the same. any reason for not booking one in the meantime?
I am 35 and always lived in NYC/CHI. This is my first car and all my friends in Cali own me. Everyone single one mentions how it’s easily the best car they have ever driven/owned. Prices and wait times of Uber’s are out of control lately. An EV + the style + the excellent comments from friends makes it a no brainer for me.

I am 35 and always lived in NYC/CHI. This is my first car and all my friends in Cali own me. Everyone single one mentions how it’s easily the best car they have ever driven/owned. Prices and wait times of Uber’s are out of control lately. An EV + the style + the excellent comments from friends makes it a no brainer for me.
What an awesome first car to buy. I hope you get it sooner than later!
a test drive would probably make the wait harder tbh..

Great feedback from everyone. Thanks!.

For me, I knew I wanted the Model 3 from the start and there's no way my mind would change so I ordered without doing a test drive. But now I think I would ask my SA if I could schedule one just to have an experience driving the car before I take delivery.

Reactions: cyberry
In 2018 I had been leasing BMWs 3's for the prior 10+ years. I wanted something different and was interested in the model 3 then. I was a little hesitant about the bare interior with no dashboard and had wanted to lease at the time which was not an option so didn't do it and leased an Alfa Romeo Giulia instead. Have enjoyed it, especially the steering/handling but significantly down on power compared with my prior 340i xdrive. My current lease is not up until Oct 2021 but knew I now wanted a model 3. My parents got a Model X last year which I briefly drove after recently visiting them and really enjoyed. When I came back I test drove a 2021 model 3 LR for about an hour. I walked out angry at myself for not getting one 3 years earlier and soon after ordered one even though I would owe several extra months on my current lease. I didn't want to drive anything else. The power contrast compared with my Giulia was so extreme that I thought there was something wrong with my car when I got back in. I've been trying to figure out since how to offload my Giulia early without a loss yet willing to take the loss if needed. I may be able to sell it to Vroom but waiting for them to get their buy out price from the lease company. The bottom line is if you enjoy sporty, fast, and high tech cars don't test drive unless you are prepared to immediately order one.

Last edited:
Nice! Let me know how it went.
I’ll start off by saying, the test drive was more to convince my wife rather than myself...
She loved it though!
Such a fun car to drive, and way more spacious than it looks.
I’m 6’3 and I was very comfortable .
It also had the new interior trim , which I really like.
the only negative I have is that it’s going to be way harder to wait now lol.

I’ll start off by saying, the test drive was more to convince my wife rather than myself...
She loved it though!
The wait is brutal. 7 weeks so far for me. 3-6 more weeks according to my delivery estimate.

She loved it though!
This is also my worry. If i test drive one I would be more excited and anxious for my delivery day. And it looks like it's not going to change. Stayed at June 8-28 for a week now.

Wow. I've only been waiting for 3 weeks and I'm already losing my mind. lol
Can't imagine having to wait that long. Mine says I have another 4 weeks at least. Crossing my fingers it would be on the earlier side.
well to be fair (and to put it into perspective), my friend reminded me that people waited months/years for their vehicle... so this wait is nothing compared to that.

This is also my worry. If i test drive one I would be more excited and anxious for my delivery day. And it looks like it's not going to change. Stayed at June 8-28 for a week now.
I guess I would say it’s bittersweet. I forgot how amazing the instant power is when you need it. Mine still shows 6-9 weeks from order :/ one of the SA’s didn’t seem convinced it would be this quarter, yet another was somewhat optimistic. So, who knows? Haha
The wait is brutal. 7 weeks so far for me. 3-6 more weeks according to my delivery estimate.
That is brutal.. it’s only been a week for me.

I guess I would say it’s bittersweet. I forgot how amazing the instant power is when you need it. Mine still shows 6-9 weeks from order :/ one of the SA’s didn’t seem convinced it would be this quarter, yet another was somewhat optimistic. So, who knows? Haha

That is brutal.. it’s only been a week for me.
even more brutal because I'm having to drive my wife's ICE car. (after my last 2 cars were EVs)

Great feedback from everyone. Thanks!.

For me, I knew I wanted the Model 3 from the start and there's no way my mind would change so I ordered without doing a test drive. But now I think I would ask my SA if I could schedule one just to have an experience driving the car before I take deli
Wow. I've only been waiting for 3 weeks and I'm already losing my mind. lol
Can't imagine having to wait that long. Mine says I have another 4 weeks at least. Crossing my fingers it would be on the earlier side.
Maybe get a test drive right before delivery so you can get a feel for the car.