Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Electric

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
Has anybody received an email and app notification from Tesla Electric about their electrical service in Texas? I received both yesterday, but can not find what they are charging per kWh. Anybody know what they are going to charge per kWh? Thank you in advance.

At this point, all of us got it. This was talked about in our local Tesla Owners Group and it didn't seem like the best buy. Here is what someone posted. You have to go through the entire sign-up process (minus signing the agreement) to actually see the prices. This is at least for the DFW area. Not sure if it's different in other parts of TX.

Tesla 1.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Abraham
I received in my Tesla 2022 M3 app an invite to the $25/month unlimited Tesla vehicle charging at night. So I changed my electricity plan (Centerpoint retail provider here in Texas) to Tesla's electric plan. I'm waiting for my wife's MY to get the invite now. This will save me $ for charging since I charge 100% home for both Teslas. The Tesla electric plan rate is $0.154 / kwh.

Tesla tells me the "All-in rate" for my zip is 13.5 cents per kWh. I'm currently paying 17.9 cents "Energy Charge" before the TDU charges, etc., so that seems to be a big enough difference to get my attention, even with the extra $25/mo. (My current rate is apparently pretty high.)

But the chart above says 14.0 cents at my usage of ~ 2000 kWh. ???

I can't find out what they mean by "All-in rate", though, so if that includes the TDU charges, it's even better. Anyone know?

Also, does Tesla cancel my existing plan when theirs goes into effect, or do I have to do it? Don't want any interruptions!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Answered most of my own questions after a couple hours on the phone with 3 different "customer service" reps located somewhere in the Philippines or whatever. God love 'em.

The "all-in" rate includes the TDU charges and the base charge. Actual rates vary a little based on the amount of power you actually use. Tesla just tells me what the all-in rate would be for 1,000 kWh usage (whereas I actually used 1,937 kWh last month), so I'm not sure what their all-in rate is for my level of usage. But I do know the all-in rate at TXU (my current provider in the DFW area) for my usage is 14.9 cents under their EV plan, whereas Tesla is 13.5 for 1,000 kWh. Would probably end up close to TXU's rate.

The TXU plan is free for EV charging between the hours of 7PM and 12:59PM - 6 hours of free EV charging. Tesla's is from 10PM to 6AM - actually a little better time period, and 8 hours instead of 6.

My current 'base' rate is 17.9 cents/kWh, whereas the Free EV Miles 12 plan with TXU rate is 10.8 cents, so that's a significant difference when hot summer months generate $500+ electric bills. And the free EV charging is just gravy.

After some anguishing, I went with the TXU plan. If you care about trivial things like money, etc., it's to your advantage to do some shopping. These plans are not as simple as they might first appear, so dig in and know what you're getting.

Mike,
I switched to the TXU EV plan in mid August. At that time the plan was charging 13.5 cents for 2000 kWh. Since mid August the EV plan the rate has increased to 14.9 cents for 2000 kWh. Glad I made the move when I did. Before the change in mid August we were paying 18.9 cents per kWh.
We had some initial problems in getting signed for the free charging between 7PM and 1AM. If you run into that problem send an email to www.rollingenergyresource.com/troubleshoot or call them at 7209002120.
We saved $92 for the first month on being on this program. That is interesting because there was an additional day in this billing cycle as opposed to the previous month 30 days versus 29 days.. Also, there were 2 more days above 90 in this billing cycle then the previous billing cycle.

Mike,
I switched to the TXU EV plan in mid August. At that time the plan was charging 13.5 cents for 2000 kWh. Since mid August the EV plan the rate has increased to 14.9 cents for 2000 kWh. Glad I made the move when I did. Before the change in mid August we were paying 18.9 cents per kWh.
We had some initial problems in getting signed for the free charging between 7PM and 1AM. If you run into that problem send an email to www.rollingenergyresource.com/troubleshoot or call them at 7209002120.
We saved $92 for the first month on being on this program. That is interesting because there was an additional day in this billing cycle as opposed to the previous month 30 days versus 29 days.. Also, there were 2 more days above 90 in this billing cycle then the previous billing cycle.
Yeah, Pacer. I got all signed up and the car connected with rolling energy today and they tell me I'm ready to go.

They also assure me the rate shown on my bill as "Energy Charge", and which is the rate x kWh used, is 10.8 cents/kWh. The plan also shows 14.9 cents, which they say is the "all-in" rate, which includes the TDU charges and a few other odds and ends.

This comes just in time, since I just got my bill today and I choked ... $659.00. I've never ever had an electric bill anywhere near that high, and it didn't include any EV charging or anything out of the ordinary. Just keeping the house at 77-78 degrees in this god-awful heat. :mad:

Reactions: Pacernow
This doesn't help, but I got Octopus for my provider. I think they must have been new (to the US) so were offering 10.4c for 12 months, 10.5c for 24 months and 10.6c for 36 months

I figured prices would only go up, so I took the 3 year plan

Might be worth keeping an eye on them though

Reactions: Pacernow
Regardless - every time your plan is up go to PowerToChoose dot org and do a comparison check ... then call your current provider and ask what they have available. When thy give you the current rates allow a stifled laugh to escape your lips and say "That's not so terrific" [1] It's pretty much a guarantee that they'll respond with "but wait ... there's more" and quote you something better. Now whether it's better enough will be debatable

[1] a quote from The Taking of Pelham 123:

Mr. Blue: Ladies and gentlemen, it might interest you to know that the City of New York has agreed to pay for your release.
Old Man: Excuse me, sir. Do you mind telling me how much you're getting?
Mr. Blue: Why does that concern you, sir?
Old Man: A man likes to know his worth.
Mr. Blue: One million dollars.
Old Man: That's not so terrific.

More here

Last edited: