Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

the 3 is perfect for this trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the 3 is perfect for this trip

We often drive up to Davis CA from the Bay Area to visit the daughter and her family. Sometimes overnight, sometimes just a day trip.

Last night was an evening roundtrip. It’s 98 miles one way.

Starting in 2014 with the P85 Model S, we would stop at Vacaville for a quick charge. A bio break and also sometimes a nice BBQ lunch across the street.

There were only 3 SCs in the area at the time – Gilroy for going South, Vacaville for going North. And the exception, a local SC – one at the Fremont factory.

In the beginning, the SCs were always out of town, for traveling.

There are so many SCs in the Bay Area now that I can’t name them all. So back then, I was very conservative – didn’t push it. And would do a stop at Vacaville.

But last night we did a quick roundtrip up to Davis in the new 3. I charged overnight to just over 90%. Then just before we launched, I topped off (100%) the 3 off at my local SC in Milpitas – 1.9 miles from my house. Actually, it showed 318 miles with 5 minutes to go.

I got bored and unplugged. Cost me a $1.24.

When we got home from the, no SC, roundtrip to Davis last night, Pasty [how many Tesli are now named Patsy?] showed 57 miles – perfect! I plugged the 3 in and went to bed.

I drove 75 on the trip. I also had budgeted for the granddaughter to able to play Cuphead with the car heater on; plus heated seats for both of us; plus dad in the back seat. She used 15 miles of range.

So the 3 can go non SC roundtrip to Davis at 75 in the winter with just a night before charge at my house. The top off wasn’t necessary.

The wife got a little anxious when Patsy did the highway switch from I80 South to I 680 at high speed, totally Autopilot.

Patsy did a beautiful job. I just relaxed and enjoyed the ride. I love how she doesn’t even ask for a confirmation. She just puts the blinker on, and as they say: “Make it so!"