Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie questions for a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just bought a Model 3, 2020 plate, standard model.

I had a few questions I was hoping someone can answer...

- Do I need to get serviced?
What should the service schedule be?

- Overnight, I lose 20 miles. Last night I had 54 miles. In the morning 38 miles.
The same happened yesterday night.
Is this normal?

- MP3 USB? What's the deal? I need a USB hub according to a youtube video?

Thanks.

1. Check the user manual. There is some service required but not much. I don't know what the schedule is offhand.

2. I don't ever use 'miles', so not sure what the conversion is to percentage points, but its not uncommon to lose a few percent of the battery overnight, more so if you use sentry mode.

3. Not exactly sure what you're referring to, but there are USB hubs in both the glove box and the console. From what I've read, only pre-pandemic cars (and possibly some early on in the pandemic) got ports in the console that could do data transfer... the ones that don't can only be used to power/charge a device.

I've just bought a Model 3, 2020 plate, standard model.

I had a few questions I was hoping someone can answer...

- Do I need to get serviced?
What should the service schedule be?

- Overnight, I lose 20 miles. Last night I had 54 miles. In the morning 38 miles.
The same happened yesterday night.
Is this normal?

- MP3 USB? What's the deal? I need a USB hub according to a youtube video?

Thanks.

1. The service schedule is in the manual, but there is not very much required service. Check there (the manual is online)

2. If you have sentry mode or cabin overheat protection on, yes. My guess is you had sentry mode on (or the previous owner had sentry mode on and you have not changed anything in the profiles.).

3. No idea what you mean by "whats the deal"? I dont know if that model has USB in the glove compartment or not, and I dont know what if anything you have setup to record sentry video. Teslas will play music from a USB thumb drive (not a smartphone or any other smart(ish) device that is not a plain drive).

Whether you "need" a hub or not depends on whether the car has data on USB ports in the console, and that depends on when it was made. I think a 2020 has USB data in the console and no ports in the glove compartment, but I dont know that for sure as my own model 3 is a 2018 model year model.

I am going to suggest that you read through the online manual I linked above. Yes I know that sounds like "RFTM" and I dont mean it particularly like that, but there is a LOT of good information in the manual, and these cars are different in operation from some others as far as how things work, user interface, etc.

Others have answered the vampire loss already. It's not an issue if you plug in at all times at home.

What I would caution against is much love to have a low State of Charge, like 54 miles. I would be panicky if it goes that low. That's because at the lowered SOC, there's no guarantee that the battery gauge is correct. It could be much lower than displayed, and you might get stranded.

At a lower state of charge, the main battery might want to cut off other tasks like HVAC, and even 12V charging. Without the 12V charged, your car dies and can't charge. You have to jump the battery to restore the 12V system to allow charging again.

Sentry mode turns off at 20%. If the car discharged down to 38 miles that means 100% SoC (State of Charge) of the car is 190 miles. Slightly used SR+ has 238 miles, that would be 80% remaining battery capacity after 3 years? That is improbable. Therefore the loss of charge was due to many other possible reason but not (only) due to the sentry mode.

Reactions: zoros
Enginerev:

1. Select the box that says "Sentry Off at home! on your app / on car screen. Sentry (or burglar alarm for us brits) drains the car by a small creeping percentage each time it is on.

2. Servicing a Tesla M3 in the UK: There isn't a need to service the car. Full stop! If you speak to Tesla UK they will confirm this. They will also confirm that there is no service record either!! Due to GDPR - Tesla have elected NOT to hand over previous owner details. Scary but true.
[There is a small service window for the differential oil (around 100k miles I believe but check with Tesla SC]
Obviously you'll need to keep your eye on consumables: Pads / discs, etc. That is your responsibility.

Head down to your nearest Tesla SC and get to know them and go with a list of Q's for them to answer. They are usually very accommodating.

Make sure you take out a comprehensive warranty on the car. Tesla software and electrical components are expensive. (You'll still have your 8yr 120k battery warranty running.
Tesla offer an extended 2 yr warranty for £1400 or 4 yr for £2500. Failing that - look online for a reliable run of the mill car warranty policy.

Enjoy
Z