Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Best Tesla (car) Accessory for $11? Yes, I think so!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Normally I don't fall for these gimmicky items but after COVID and getting the Y - I really was not going to make a mess by eating in the car.

A friend of mine said just get a food tray to which I laughed...until I saw it attaches to the steering wheel and you can position it however you want!!

For $11 - game changer when it comes to eating in the car! No mess and easy to store/cleanup!

p.s. don't get trolled by people claiming to have a "tesla" branded tray...they're all the same.

link the product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ5NC99/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$11 instead of the taptes one for $36....same exact thing

Does that actually work?

Not arrived yet but I will let you know if it does. I think it will. Simple magnetic clip that adds weight to one side of the wheel simulating a driver with a hand on the wheel. No reason it shouldn't trick the sensors unless its simply too light. I got one for $72 through aliexpress on a deal. I see many for sell for $100 which seems pricey for a simple molded magnet that fits well on a tesla steering wheel.

Last edited:
As promised, this thing did do what it says and is the perfect weight to feel like a gentle hand resting on the side of the wheel. And on Aliexpress for $60-70 bucks now you can find em its a okay deal if your a long distance highway commuter or road tripper who gets annoyed by constantly needing to tap the wheel and prove attentiveness. Clips on like a magnet and sits in that grove of your steering wheel well. This is in no way a "don't need to pay attention to the road or keep hands near wheel at all times" gadget. I simply would rather Tesla allow us to disable the safety measure with adequate warnings and get it without using a physical device to hack the setup...

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 127
This is in no way a "don't need to pay attention to the road or keep hands near wheel at all times" gadget. I simply would rather Tesla allow us to disable the safety measure with adequate warnings and get it without using a physical device to hack the setup...

These types of gadgets are the reason these "annoying warnings" came about to begin with. You may swear you'll use these responsibly, but not everyone will. It's all fun and games until someone gets killed over this and then autopilot gets the blame. I think it's crazy that these products exist and foolish for promoting the use of them.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
These types of gadgets are the reason these "annoying warnings" came about to begin with. You may swear you'll use these responsibly, but not everyone will. It's all fun and games until someone gets killed over this and then autopilot gets the blame. I think it's crazy that these products exist and foolish for promoting the use of them.

I see it a different way.This was done in REACTION to be restricted unjustly which is a natural reaction from free people.People weren't dying by the scores due to this and yet we ALL now are subject to restrictions that drastically change the way it affects our day to day. I paid for the car and even this option in particular, I should have the freedom to use it as I see fit. Because a couple of of dumbasses did something stupid now we ALL have to suffer rules for the lowest common denominator?

That's the worst embodiment of what's wrong with this nation. One of the things I prefer about Tesla is the lack of nannies (other than this one) and that I'm allowed to use my car freely (for the most part) as I see fit. The more and more things that Tesla shuts down due to some moron the less I enjoy the car. Sure it's incremental but the fact remains that I bought the car and I should be able to use it as I see fit and not be told what and how to use my purchase. Sure some people will die due to their stupidity and this number will climb based on the percentages.. that's just life.

Not really looking to debate because you won't change my mind on this as there's fundamental aspects of my moral fiber at play in this decision whether I personally agree with this use of this specific device or not. Just giving my viewpoint and thinking behind it as we don't need Tesla to save us and keep us all safe from ourselves. Safety features? Sure. Restrictions on what we can and can't use in our cars that we paid for? No. I'll take that partial refund for the Autopilot features I paid for too. What sounds fair, $5 every time it kicks me out due to not touching the steering wheel and I don't have access to it? I bet that tune would change rather quickly.

Reactions: rvnc and jeremy0916
I was told by a Tesla employee the reason NY doesn't have this is because back when driver licenses were first issued the state law was written that at least one hand MUST be on the steering wheel at all times. Seems strange because both dumb as sses DIBlasio and Cuomo I like to refer to as Dumb and Dumber weren't around.

These types of gadgets are the reason these "annoying warnings" came about to begin with.

I think you have it reversed... the annoying warnings came before the gadgets. The annoying warnings came because people were straight asleep at the wheel on the highway being a complete idiot on the road. I agree with the other guy in this thread, we should not all suffer because idiots use the feature to totally ignore their driving responsibilities to be alert and engaged. Honestly its Darwin at work for those who choose to sleep while the car drives them, I would say 98% of the time on the highway AP1 in my Model S is solid. There are certain turns and places where highways meet and merge in my city where AP starts to heavy apply breaks for literally no reason at all and would cause me to get rear ended in a few spots. So yeah I always keep my hands at the ready to take control right away. But yeah no I will not sit there and push the wheel side to side or pull on it constantly to enjoy autopilot, glad these devices exist for responsible adults. And even for those that sleep on the highway while it drives them 98% is better than most active drivers in South Carolina.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
@Ostrichsak - I can kinda see your point, and I agree to a certain extent. Also, not here to convince you at all, if that's what you think and you're not harming me, by all means go for it.

The thing is, there is this big disclaimer that this is a Beta software that's intended to be used with caution. Yes, the nannies are annoying but they are there not only to protect you from harm, but other motorists as well, because it's a beta software. You know that when you buy your car, it tells you that when you enable it, etc.

The irony of it is, when you say

The more and more things that Tesla shuts down due to some moron the less I enjoy the car.

Knock on wood, but if an accident where to happen to you while using these types of devices, and god forbid you hurt yourself or someone else - guess what - more nannies will be implemented and it will suck for the rest of us.

Again, I respect your beliefs and convictions, just simply trying to show you my point. And we can show the society that we can agree to disagree.

Sure some people will die due to their stupidity and this number will climb based on the percentages.. that's just life.

I supposed it's just "is what it is". Who did I hear say that before... hmmm.

So this also works really good for passengers who want to eat while you are driving, as I found out this past weekend as the mrs. picked up some to go food and wanted to munch on the drive home the tray is much better than eating in your lap!

Can't tell if trolling or...

Ok, I'll bite. You mount the tray to your wheel while you are driving so your passenger has a place to put their food?

I keep a couple of trays from Ikea in the sub trunk for "date night." I don't mind that they're on my lap. I don't know how secure I feel about the tray cantilevered off the steering wheel, even while parked.

I suppose you don't believe in seat belts either? Might as well pick up some of these... https://www.amazon.com/END-Ding-Sea...lt+buckle+alarm+stopper&qid=1597507272&sr=8-8
Don't forget that I also never said that I personally use the device but if others want to I could see the reasons and they should be allowed to make such decisions. Tesla shouldn't be locking down access to features in the first place due to a few morons is my point. Let Darwin win and the rest of us will be better off.

I'm also not for helmet laws, seat belt laws or other laws protecting people from themselves. That doesn't mean that I don't personally buckle up and don't wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle but it means that I feel that everyone should have the right to choose not to if they don't want to. I'm tired of creating laws and more government to protect idiots from themselves. Much like the war on drugs, it looks good on paper and makes people feel like they're doing good but in the end it's a losing battle.

It's pretty arrogant to force people to do what we believe is safe even if they understand the risks and are fine living life closer to the edge than the rest of us. After all, this is the freest country in the nation where someone should be able to do such things, right?

Last edited:
The problem with letting people do as they please with respect to basic personal safety laws like seatbelts and helmets is that when these people get injured, they still consume a disproportionate amount of healthcare resources, which invariably comes at a cost to other people. That cost could be financial, in the case of a donorcycle accident victim with no health insurance who burns through hundreds of thousands of dollars of healthcare resources that eventually have to be eaten/subsidized by the rest of the system. Or, more to my personal experience as an ICU physician, could be direct competition for limited resources such as ICU beds.

Of course the nanny state can’t force everyone to act safely in most circumstances in life. But there is a limited number of situations where there is abundant evidence for reduced cost to society with mandatory infringements on individual personal freedom. Seatbelts and helmets are two of the most solid examples. My personal liberty gets infringed upon every time I indirectly have to pay for someone who has a totally avoidable but super expensive injury that could have been prevented by a helmet law.

On the other hand, the world does need organs... and there’s no evidence for this that I know of, but I’d be willing to bet organ procurement rates are higher in states without helmet laws due to the insane proportion of devastating traumatic brain injury due to unhelmeted motorcycle accident victims. I personally take care of several per month in a state with a helmet law, more in the summer.

The problem with letting people do as they please with respect to basic personal safety laws like seatbelts and helmets is that when these people get injured, they still consume a disproportionate amount of healthcare resources, which invariably comes at a cost to other people. That cost could be financial, in the case of a donorcycle accident victim with no health insurance who burns through hundreds of thousands of dollars of healthcare resources that eventually have to be eaten/subsidized by the rest of the system. Or, more to my personal experience as an ICU physician, could be direct competition for limited resources such as ICU beds.

Of course the nanny state can’t force everyone to act safely in most circumstances in life. But there is a limited number of situations where there is abundant evidence for reduced cost to society with mandatory infringements on individual personal freedom. Seatbelts and helmets are two of the most solid examples. My personal liberty gets infringed upon every time I indirectly have to pay for someone who has a totally avoidable but super expensive injury that could have been prevented by a helmet law.

On the other hand, the world does need organs... and there’s no evidence for this that I know of, but I’d be willing to bet organ procurement rates are higher in states without helmet laws due to the insane proportion of devastating traumatic brain injury due to unhelmeted motorcycle accident victims. I personally take care of several per month in a state with a helmet law, more in the summer.

By this logic we should outlaw skiing and snowboarding. It's risky. People injure themselves all of the time doing it. I don't do either one so I can't see the benefit since I don't personally partake so... I should want it illegal, right? I mean, my healthcare is absorbing many of those costs so that's the logic we're going for. Might as well outlaw motorcycles entirely because even with helmets they're still far more dangerous than cages too, right? My personal healthcare premiums are paramount to everyone else's enjoyment of life how they see fit, right? This is why I used the term arrogant earlier when I described those who think they can justly decide for everyone else how they should live their life. I just don't possess the confidence that I can properly live everyone else's life for them so I tend to err on the side of freedom of decision for everyone when it comes to such topics. I also want people to have the right to do something that I don't personally condone. I see the opposite all of the time though where people actively lobby against something just because it wouldn't affect them if it were restricted. That's not what America was based on. We should ALL fight for everyone's right to do as they please even if we don't personally agree with the choice they make. That's what made this country so great in days of yore.

We're getting off on a tangent here so we should just agree to disagree.

I think you’re missing the point. Of course you can’t regulate most activities people do, and this country was founded on the principles of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (for white male landowners, initially). My point isn’t that dangerous activities should be outlawed. It’s that there are minimally invasive public health measures like helmets, seatbelts, and masks whose benefit to society in general has been well-proven by scientific inquiry, and which outweighs the benefit or risk to the person whose “civil liberties” are being modestly “infringed” by not getting to live their life in the exact way they choose. That’s why we have any number of laws designed to restrict personal freedom to a degree in order to preserve the greater good, rather than a complete “libertarian” anarchy where every person forgets their own way and the will of the strong prevails.

But, like you said, let’s agree to disagree and move back to the original topic.

Reactions: SlyWombat