Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The "deal" with CyberTruck Foundation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been a couple of days since I placed my order for the CT, a few thoughts on the Foundation:

- Pricing is high and that is intentional. It is a capitalist society and Tesla is not a non-profit.org Capturing additional consumer surplus due to Supply constraints, it is the logical thing to do. Can't blame them.
- In all fairness, Tesla is providing mandatory "options" as Value. You and I may disagree the value (as in, I put in a ZERO value on Full-Self Driving) that is provided, but I suppose it is better than charging a $20K addendum markup. It is kinda like a dealership put on "paint-sealant" on new cars and charging $2,000.00 for them.
- Tesla has pretty much covered their basis for people looking to profit from flipping the car. I read the Order Agreement and it is clear to me that they have played thru the scenarios.
If your intent is to flip the CT. you are in an uphill battle.
- The Foundation CT isn't meant for everyone. I don't mean that in an elitist manner, rather it is because the current production is (almost) like handmade. As such there will be mistakes, panel gaps and QC issues. Tesla appears to only invite existing owners AND with (low to none) bitching record. To minimize faulty reviews and creating controversies on a beta version of the truck. To that extend, it is BETTER to wait for a more refined product in 28 months.

Be back with more thoughts..

beewang

Continuing my rant..

I spent the weekend visiting Tesla Sales Center in an attempt to resolve my "delivery location" issue on my order. In short, I would like to take delivery of my CT Order in Austin, TX (just because we all know this is a qtr end push for tesla and I don't mind a road trip so long as I get my vehicle 'purchased" by 12/31/2023 for IRS §179 purpose (and make Uncle Sam pay for a larget chunk of it). I concluded a few things (and most we already know):
- Tesla is fcuking horrible in CS
-Tesla Sales Center ppl are strictly "cookie cutter" and don't know how to function when something out of the ordinary is placed in front of them.

I was advised to visit a Tesla Delivery Center, and the Tesla Delivery Center rep was more knowledgeable and told me the following:
- CA and TX first, The vehicle Hauler can only haul a limited amount of CT (3, I think), and thus TX and a beeline to CA is probably going to be "it" for the next 6 months.
- Production is at a snail's pace... probably in the unit around 10/ day.
-There haven't been any CT deliveries that occurred as of Monday in CA.
-CyberTruck delivery and handling may be split off to a separate team due to the a) Dollar Value b) Limited Units.
- Ppl are getting the Foundation Invite but few takers to execute to order. Most are sticker-shocked (aren't we all?)

Bad news for CT buyers, as it will likely be a while (1yr+) to get out of the limited Production phase.

For ppl who need a Truck, Ford F150 Lightning is the solution for now. Yes They suggested getting that as I need my §179 on or before 12/31/2023. LOL I refuse to do it as a long-time shareholder, but we'll see on 12/30 when *sugar* hits the fan for me.

cheers!

beewang

Last edited:
I would just like to point out that in order to have a Lightning do the home backup you have to have Sunrun(TRASH!!!) install an almost $11k system to your home.

The fact that you can use this truck with the Charger provided to immediately use it as a back up if you have a PW and Solar is huge and to be honest worth the cost......

Only problem here is the cost and the OP has some good points.

I would just like to point out that in order to have a Lightning do the home backup you have to have Sunrun(TRASH!!!) install an almost $11k system to your home.

I'm pretty sure State of Charge used QMerit for their home backup/F150 Lightning install. Tom broke out all the cost for his install, but yeah, it's going to cost $$ and the installers have probably never done an install neither so it's learning for them also.

There are additional costs of course, but I'm of the mind that if someone has the $$ to buy an early CT and is money pinching this, it's probably not for them as this is literally the only game/solution in town right now for EV/home backup integration. 2024 should see another option.

This cost is not including the probably home upgrades required since a lot of older homes (esp in the bay area) won't have a decently sized home panel to even support this.