Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The demise of the OEMs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford cancels their direct sales model for EVs probably due to pushback from dealers even though ford didn’t admit it.

Good video describing situation starting at the 11 min mark. Kyle’s perspective after that segment is interesting too.

Reactions: CarlS
In other words they waited too long to innovate and are now giving up and have the stench of emission scandal all over them. There is a reason Model Y is the best selling car in the world, customers will vote with their cash. These dinosaurs are all going to go extinct.
No one outside of the US really cares about that emissions scandal any more.
VW sold 9.2 million cars in 2023, Tesla sold 1.8 million. Still some way to go for Tesla. The one reason why the Y is the best selling car is that it's about the only attractive offering by Tesla.

No one outside of the US really cares about that emissions scandal any more.
VW sold 9.2 million cars in 2023, Tesla sold 1.8 million. Still some way to go for Tesla. The one reason why the Y is the best selling car is that it's about the only attractive offering by Tesla.

I still get emails from legal companies saying I can get thousands in compensation from previously owning a BMW diesel. Im in the UK, it's still a big thing here and in all of Europe. Companies that cheat like this for profit that damage human health are never forgotten nor should they be.

"Shareholders of Japan's biggest automaker reappointed 10 directors in a vote on Tuesday.

Toyoda got about 72 percent affirmative votes to serve another term as a member of the board. That's down more than 12 points from last year."

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS
Interesting perspective on Japan, their economy and lack of evolutionary focus into EVs.
Korea will slowly dominate vehicle evolution with its strong embrace of EVs and developing autonomy.
Japan is not dominating vehicle evolution with any strong interest in EVs. There is a small bright spot with Japan’s autonomy and robotics.
If the EV miss step by Japan continues, their economy, dominated today by ICEv tech, could falter long term.
This long term decline of Japan could have USA security interests in the area of Japan and even at home, our national security threaten by the decline of such an important ally of Japan.
Interesting

FWIW, Japan slipped to being the world's 4th largest economy earlier this year: https://www.reuters.com/markets/asi...to-recession-weak-domestic-demand-2024-02-15/. I actually first learned of it via NHK News (having trouble finding a story from them right now). Japan also has an issue with an aging and shrinking population due to a low birthrate. And, their wages were stagnant for ages.
Another Japan perspective, my son and his buddies, 26-29 year olds seem fascinated in Japan and have a country tour on the bucket lists
Need to ask them why

Reactions: cwerdna
Another Japan perspective, my son and his buddies, 26-29 year olds seem fascinated in Japan and have a country tour on the bucket lists
Need to ask them why
FWIW, for ages, I've always wanted to go to Japan. I finally went my 1st trip there in 2001. I've been there 7 or 8x for vacation now. Each trip except one was timed so that I could spend a few days at Tokyo Motor Show (now called Japan Mobility Show). One of the trips was timed with Tokyo Game Show. They used to both be held at Makuhari Messe in Chiba but TMS/JMS eventually moved to Tokyo Big Sight.

The demise of the OEMs was my video of the crazy crowds to get into JMS one day.

Besides going all over the place in Japan, as far SW as Nagasaki and Kagoshima City, I've also toured auto plants there of Toyota, Nissan and Mazda. I haven't gone that far north of Tokyo though (e.g. no Hokkaido, Sendai, Nigata, etc.). As you might guess, I enjoy going there. And, the weak yen makes it very affordable to eat and stay. 1 USD is an incredible ~159 JPY now. I've been there before when it was horrible for Americans, when 1 USD was worth <100 JPY.

Last year, I had a nice bowl of pork ramen w/veggies + 5 gyoza at a major train station. Came out to 1040 JPY w/tax, which at the time was just under $7 USD. And, there's no tipping in Japan. You can't get this kind of price for authentic Japanese ramen at a sit down restaurant or counter in the SF Bay Area, at least not in the South Bay.

I wish I knew the language. :( I don't know more than a few words.

Some of my Tokyo Motor Show posts are at Off-Topic.

Last edited:
"Mercedes Is Spending Big Money on Gas Engines Again
"A lot more" is being invested in the S-Class compared to a usual facelift. "

"Just this year, the three-pointed star is spending €14 billion (about $15 billion at current exchange rates) on its passenger car division alone. The funds are reserved for "high-tech combustion technology” but also electrification and digitalization. Although the Swedish-German business executive didn’t specify how much Mercedes is spending on ICE, he admitted it's "more money than previously planned.""

I've seen numerous videos about how Chinese automakers have really taken off in Russia given that many automakers have pulled out due the the war in Ukraine. Russian Auto Industry Swamped by Flood of Chinese Imports has some figures.
is from 10 months ago and I probably watched it when it was pretty new. At 1:17 were the top car brands in Russia in July 2020. At 2:20 list the top car brands in Russia in June 2023.

I also just watched
from 4 months ago.

In the middle of rewatching
"1,695,803 views May 7, 2024 #CNBC
Detroit automakers like General Motors made a fortune selling cars to Chinese consumers after the Asian country opened its auto market to foreign firms in the 1980s. But the good times are over as Chinese firms have caught up with the foreign firms who once taught them the automotive trade. Top names like BYD, Geely and Great Wall are now making globally competitive products and many companies with tech backgrounds are entering the industry, too, including Li Auto, XPeng, Nio, Xiaomi, Huawei, Baidu, Tencent and Alibaba. Jeep’s joint venture already went bankrupt, and one industry analyst said he expects Ford and GM to withdraw from the country in the next five years along with other such as Hyundai, Kia and Nissan.

Chapters:
00:00 - 2:09: Why American automakers are failing in China
2:18 Chapter 1 - A massive market
4:13 Chapter 2 - Rise and fall
6:15 Chapter 3 - How it happened
11:22 Chapter 4 - High Productivity
14:27 Chapter 5 - What’s next "

Last edited: