Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The European Car Of The Year Election Was An Embarrassment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the title of this article from CleanTecnica is self explanatory:

- The new Peugeot 208 was proclaimed in Geneva the winner of the Car of the Year 2020 contest.​

Maarten Vinkhuyzen author comments:

The “car of the year” (COTY) means choosing the best new product the auto industry made.

Of the 35 candidates entering the first sifting round, only 6 had a modern (fully battery electric) powertrain.
Two others were available in a choice of old and new,
and the rest of the candidates (25) will be essentially discarded in 5 years.

It is questionable whether cars with an outdated powertrain should be among the first collection of candidates.
They should definitely not be among the nominees.
What was the jury thinking?

Horst Bauer, Austria:
Regarding the Jaguar I-PACE, he said it was not ready for prime time.
Tesla Model 3 — brakes overheat when used on a racetrack,
plus Horst is unable to learn to use the touchscreen.

Stéphane Lémeret, Belgian:
Last year gave 10 points for the remade Alpine, no points for the Jaguar I-PACE (so much less than a Tesla).
This year he gave zero points to the Tesla Model 3.
It is too difficult to learn to use voice commands or the controls on the steering wheel, according to Lémeret.
The touchscreen is too hard to use on rocky Belgian streets.
The Belgian streets have too many potholes for a car like the Model 3.

Xavier Pérez, Spain:
The Porsche Taycan is the best car. It’s too expensive for poor people, though, so 0 points.
The Model 3 lacks a passion for cars, handling not good enough,
terrible TV screen is used as dashboard — also 0 points.

Last year, lack of charging was not the reason to give only 1 point to the Jaguar I-PACE,
it was the inferior interior.
After reading dozens of comments, there were a few recurring complaints about the electric cars.
The Taycan was too expensive, the Model 3 interface was too hard to learn,
the Model 3
was not as good as the Taycan, and it had too much power for the chassis and brakes to handle.

While other critical comments about the cars were often well balanced and in line with the points the juror awarded, the comments for the electric cars were often a bit of “Very good, but zero points because ….”

I think they were too alien for the jurors to appreciate,
like the Ford Model T was for those still living with a horse and buggy for their daily driver.​

Last edited:
Peugeot 208, Car of the Year 2020.

The small Peugeot, which offers a full-electric version, collected 281 points and 17 individual top votes.

With 242 points and the same number of best votes, the electric car Tesla Model 3 was second,

while the last place in the podium was also for an EV, the Porsche Taycan, with 222 points.

The rest of the finalists for the award were
the Renault Clio (211 points), Ford Puma (209), Toyota Corolla (152) and BMW 1-series (133).​

The Australian Wheels magazine gave their top spot to the Benz EQC with the Tesla M3 runnerup. The judges praised the EQC for its superb ride, build quality, safety tech and quietness so despite its hefty weight, high price and short range it still took the gong from the M3 with the judges criticising the Tesla for budget cab materials and poor NVH.

The Mazda 3, Toyota RAV4 (incl hybrids) and Porsche 911 rounded out the top 5. The Taycan wasn't available at the time of testing and the Jag I-Pace was a front runner last year but was let down by its real world range and lack of attention to detail. Australia has low EV adoption because of our large travel distances and minimal government incentives.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
The Australian Wheels magazine gave their top spot to the Benz EQC with the Tesla M3 runnerup. The judges praised the EQC for its superb ride, build quality, safety tech and quietness so despite its hefty weight, high price and short range it still took the gong from the M3 with the judges criticising the Tesla for budget cab materials and poor NVH.

The reviews of the EQC I've seen have been positive about the luxury.

The Mazda 3, Toyota RAV4 (incl hybrids) and Porsche 911 rounded out the top 5. The Taycan wasn't available at the time of testing and the Jag I-Pace was a front runner last year but was let down by its real world range and lack of attention to detail. Australia has low EV adoption because of our large travel distances and minimal government incentives.

In addition, Australia has a 33% above-the-threshold luxury car tax and is a small, right-hand drive market that's too hot for the Leaf.

The reviews of the EQC I've seen have been positive about the luxury.

In addition, Australia has a 33% above-the-threshold luxury car tax and is a small, right-hand drive market that's too hot for the Leaf.
The LCT threshold is higher for vehicles with good fuel economy which obviously includes EVs but apart from that our tax system does no favours for EVs apart from them being able to dodge fuel excise.