Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Neuralink Master Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did the monkeys become blind?

It's hard to find a definitive answer for Neuralink. In some cases, like at Harvard as recently as 2022, some of their trials involved suturing the eyes of baby monkeys shut to study blindness. In other cases, researchers do just screen for monkeys that are already blind. For e.g. in this case it must have been rather difficult to find two subjects that just happened to be colorblind: Colour blindness breakthrough in gene therapy experiment

It's hard to find a definitive answer for Neuralink. In some cases, like at Harvard as recently as 2022, some of their trials involved suturing the eyes of baby monkeys shut to study blindness. In other cases, researchers do just screen for monkeys that are already blind. For e.g. in this case it must have been rather difficult to find two subjects that just happened to be colorblind: Colour blindness breakthrough in gene therapy experiment

Is it possible to artificially cause colour blindness?

Is it possible to artificially cause colour blindness?

as a red/green weak you can simulate color blindnesss. I'm a strong deuternope. blue & yellow, no problems, everything else...... i can choose depending on light levels
the genes can overlap and crossover and what is supposed to be perceived as green is seen as red, but not all are defective so it's a gradient complex.
knew a colorblind lady as X for her eyes that turned off was wrong one so she was RG colorblind/weak (1 X chromosome turns off early on)

If you use EnChroma glasses, that have kinda a sorta band pass filter discernment of colors is way better, or just hold a red filter over 1 eye like a "blink comparator" 1 eye sees all , other eye has red filtered out. there used to be contact lenses like this, 1 clear, one red (my demon eye days) but didnt pass O2 so painful if wore more than 1 hour at a atime

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger

as a red/green weak you can simulate color blindnesss. I'm a strong deuternope. blue & yellow, no problems, everything else...... i can choose depending on light levels
the genes can overlap and crossover and what is supposed to be perceived as green is seen as red, but not all are defective so it's a gradient complex.
knew a colorblind lady as X for her eyes that turned off was wrong one so she was RG colorblind/weak (1 X chromosome turns off early on)

If you use EnChroma glasses, that have kinda a sorta band pass filter discernment of colors is way better, or just hold a red filter over 1 eye like a "blink comparator" 1 eye sees all , other eye has red filtered out. there used to be contact lenses like this, 1 clear, one red (my demon eye days) but didnt pass O2 so painful if wore more than 1 hour at a atime

I develop software for a living and the software I'm working on has a lot of color based things in it. The guy I report to who is the systems engineer for the project is red/green colorblind. We've had a lot of discussions about what he can and can't see.

I'm actually a bit color enhanced. I see more blue than most people which causes eye strain in high blue environments. I can't have LED light bulbs because of the extra blue. I also have blue blocker filters on all my portable devices and use computer monitors with the extra blue taken out.

My eyes refuse to focus on blue LEDs. They are just a fuzzy mess no matter how hard I try to focus.

Good one by one of my favorite cartoonists, Nick Anderson

Attachments

• Neuralink.jpg
    Neuralink.jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Funny
Reactions: MitchMitch