Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Uno, not a car but way cool

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, one wheel Uno good, three wheel Triac unstable? Ok, got it.

Hehe. Well, adding two gyroscopes means that within the operational range (that is to say, as long as you don't lean so far in one direction that the motor can't keep up) this craft is as stable as computer control can make it. But more importantly, I don't think anybody is envisioning this on the highway. Well, ok, now I am, but I'm nuts. This is a toy, or at best a Segway replacement, and in that mode it seems cool. If they were hawking it as a daily-driver, I'd be less forgiving of its impracticality.

Exactly, completely different animals. This is not pretending to be a car. Neither are electric motorcycles or bicycles.

I was just pulling your braids a little. I'd like to try out the Uno. As far as the Triac goes, I don't see it as trying to pose as anything other than a three wheel EV. And since the body is sourced from China I don't expect it would fare too well in an accident though I'm sure it would do better than a bicycle or motorbike with either one or two wheels.

And since the body is sourced from China I don't expect it would fare too well in an accident though I'm sure it would do better than a bicycle or motorbike with either one or two wheels.

I'm not so sure about that...one tends to mitigate the damage in a bicycle or motorcycle crash by dismounting, which doesn't seem to be an option here. It might be more survivable when hit by a car, but in most of the single-vehicle failure modes it seems like it could be worse.

Interestingly, I also thought that the big downside to the Uno is that it doesn't seem like it would be easy to dismount. Compare its design to these e-unis and you'll see what I mean:

Trevor Blackwell's Electric Unicycle
Another one based on his
A more recent, independently-built one

In each of those the rider can hop off running if necessary (the tlb link has a video of such a dismount), but on the Uno that doesn't look like an option. Anyway, as a unicyclist and EV driver I really would like to get my hands on one of these. May have to build one to get the chance...