Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Verge: The future of electric car design…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The future of electric car design has yet to be written
At its heart, the car industry remains a deeply conservative one

Author laments that we're getting so many funky electric concept cars that will never be built, and yet so many mundane, ultra-conservative production cars that look like somebody took a generic SUV and swapped in an electric powertrain.

Selected highlights:

“I came to Paris looking for the future of electric car design, but all I’ve been able to find are a few lovely fantasies and a lot of staid continuity. What’s missing from the world of car design today is any sort of middle ground.”

“My view from the Paris show floor is that carmakers are, at their core, extremely conservative.”

“No need to rethink the entire vehicle architecture if you can just swap one drive system for another. Few people get fired for an overabundance of caution, after all.”

“Batteries need cooling, yes, but an EV doesn’t strictly require a front grille (as evidenced by the Tesla Model 3). I asked Hermann about this, and he reiterated the point that car companies—or his company, at least—have to give consumers something familiar.” And furthermore… “That’s also probably why the power sockets on most EVs are in about the same places and covered by the same flaps as fuel caps of yore.”

“And yet, I think the primary reason Tesla exists and continues to enjoy a passionate following is because of this evident gap in creativity from the established carmakers.” … “And the thing is, all of this is possible for the older brands to do as well — if they had the courage.”

I might add, from my own perspective, that even Tesla seems innovative only in comparison to these stick-in-the-mud established car companies. Set a Tesla next to an Aptera or a Tango, and then the Tesla suddenly looks like the boring fuddy-duddy car.

The future of electric car design has yet to be written
At its heart, the car industry remains a deeply conservative one

Author laments that we're getting so many funky electric concept cars that will never be built, and yet so many mundane, ultra-conservative production cars that look like somebody took a generic SUV and swapped in an electric powertrain.

Selected highlights:

“I came to Paris looking for the future of electric car design, but all I’ve been able to find are a few lovely fantasies and a lot of staid continuity. What’s missing from the world of car design today is any sort of middle ground.”

“My view from the Paris show floor is that carmakers are, at their core, extremely conservative.”

“No need to rethink the entire vehicle architecture if you can just swap one drive system for another. Few people get fired for an overabundance of caution, after all.”

“Batteries need cooling, yes, but an EV doesn’t strictly require a front grille (as evidenced by the Tesla Model 3). I asked Hermann about this, and he reiterated the point that car companies—or his company, at least—have to give consumers something familiar.” And furthermore… “That’s also probably why the power sockets on most EVs are in about the same places and covered by the same flaps as fuel caps of yore.”

“And yet, I think the primary reason Tesla exists and continues to enjoy a passionate following is because of this evident gap in creativity from the established carmakers.” … “And the thing is, all of this is possible for the older brands to do as well — if they had the courage.”

I might add, from my own perspective, that even Tesla seems innovative only in comparison to these stick-in-the-mud established car companies. Set a Tesla next to an Aptera or a Tango, and then the Tesla suddenly looks like the boring fuddy-duddy car.
BUT, did you notice how much faster Audi&Merc were able to bring their BEVs to market and in just 5 years they can have a major refresh and perhaps find great deals on batteries. Then the profits will really roll in and Wall St. will be really happy on how clever Audi&Merc were with this fine boardroom strategy. Consider Merc SMART [actually 3rd generation electric drive train?] and model B. </sarcasm>

surprisingly good article from Verge, thanks

• Disagree
Reactions: UncaNed
Elon/Tesla show them [the world] how to design/build "skate board" platforms and opens patents for free use.
And the Chinese do NOT copy it? WTF?? Is this some masterful reverse psychology?? Volvo/Greely using a drive shaft? really?

ps- Madison Ave strategies in full play - the looks are fine and the ads will be great. no doubt