Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla car design is on the wrong track?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has been doing so many things right, it pains me to zero in on something pretty basic that I think they've been doing badly, or maybe I should say erratically. I'm referring to vehicle design.

I don't mean styling. All credit to Franz. He's done fantastic work with the basic vehicle concepts and platforms that he's been given. The new Roadster in particular is a beauty that can stand up with the classics IMHO. I'm not sure who designed the Semi, but I think it's perfect too. However. . .

Tesla product design has been hit-or-miss. Hits: Model S. Model 3. Model Y. Semi. Misses: Model X. New Roadster. Cybertruck.

The over-engineered Model X was notoriously expensive to produce, when a taller Model S (with conventional doors!) would have been Just Fine. Anecdotally, it was other board members who prevailed on Musk to get the Model Y designed as a taller Model 3 (with a hatch!) instead of a heavily re-engineered and more ambitious vehicle. I think sales numbers will show that reigning in Elon's excesses was the right move for the Y.

The new Roadster is a beauty, but IMO its specifications are too ambitious, and that's one factor (among several) that I believe has delayed and delayed its production. Even when it eventually gets built, I think it's going to be too expensive, too heavy, and too "gadgety" for a lot of real sports car lovers, include many who adore the original Roadster's simplicity and purity. I think the Lotus Type 135 will be closer to what many of us wanted, and it might even hit the market first too.

And now we have the Cybertruck. I'm not going to gripe about its looks, because have you seen current production Ford and GM and Ram pickups? I mean, yeesh, talk about the pot calling the kettle black! None of these are beauty queens. My problem is that the Cybertruck follows the Elon Musk pattern of more-and-bigger everything, and one-upmanship. In the case of pickup trucks, the other companies have already gone there. Their products are monstrosities, largely because CAFE rules in the USA incentivize huge trucks. But those CAFE rules don't apply to EVs! This was a perfect opportunity to create a new category of vehicle, to zig where other companies zagged.

Tesla instead could have done a small pickup truck like we used to see popular in the 1980s, but which Ford and GM and Ram can't produce today (in ICE form) because the CAFE formula would kill them. Tesla could have had that category all to themselves instead of creating a mostrosity to go head-to-head against the F-150 monstrosity.

And the moment came when I realized that I don't have a lot of faith in Tesla's future product plans. It seems like new models are slow to appear, and each one is going to be a roll of the dice. I trust they're going to continue to have advantage in certain areas, like software integration and energy efficiency. But overall design concept? I'm uneasy about that, to say the least.

47672278811_8931124a37_b (1).jpg

"The Rear of the Tesla Roadster 2.0" by jurvetson is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Ours especially like to wipe while driving after sunset / before sunrise whenever the car's headlights reflected from road signs hit the windshield. No rain. Not even heavy clouds. We did have a full moon, though, so maybe... :p

Sure. Because finding rain drops on the window through the camera which is focused at infinity means trying to distinguish slightly hazy/fuzzy images from clearer ones. That's what rain would do to the image. That effect is simulated by other things, like glare and dirt films.

It is why there is no machine learning solution and a physical rain sensor is necessary. The rain sensor detects the change in total internal reflection when drops of water are on the glass. It is not fooled by dirt or glare and works at night because it uses active IR illumination.

Good read. Thanks.

I don’t think any of the points made are way off base. As for design direction. The MS is good. The M3 it’s fine. It’s getting better. The MY sure it’s number 1 but what competition does it have?? The MX was and I still think is unique. I like that’s it’s understated (until the doors go up but they still smash me once a week). I get the CT. I like it. I don’t think it’s going to be a market disruption for years, like 3-5. Unless gas goes up by 75%-99%. I’m not sold that it’s winning it’s segment.

The new models. We won’t see any of those for 5 years. The US EV market will look a lot different. BYD will make a play for US market share. So we won’t see anything new for quite a while. Enjoy what we have.

People need affordable EVs, but the EV market is flooded by big and overprice EVs that very few can afford.

People need affordable EVs, but the EV market is flooded by big and overprice EVs that very few can afford.

has the question been asked and answered what the current rate of production of Uiltuim cells is?? How about next quarter and next year.

The model 3 has zero real competition. The Y more but… it’s also enough cheaper and or larger that it’s closest rivals. Tesla has another year maybe two before it sees real competition against those models. It can sit on its model 2 plans and delay build those plants and put that capital to work crushing 3 and Y competitors.

Really we need to bee looking a China for how all this plays out and what we can expect next from the design team. At thisnooont Tesla could almost come out with something that looked like the ford Torus that had 28 ovals on/in it and it would still sell well as long as it had the Tesla drive train, battery and chargers.

has the question been asked and answered what the current rate of production of Uiltuim cells is?? How about next quarter and next year.

The model 3 has zero real competition. The Y more but… it’s also enough cheaper and or larger that it’s closest rivals. Tesla has another year maybe two before it sees real competition against those models. It can sit on its model 2 plans and delay build those plants and put that capital to work crushing 3 and Y competitors.

Really we need to bee looking a China for how all this plays out and what we can expect next from the design team. At thisnooont Tesla could almost come out with something that looked like the ford Torus that had 28 ovals on/in it and it would still sell well as long as it had the Tesla drive train, battery and chargers.
Honestly the Volvo EX30 will probably be a huge Model 3 competitor (if they can make it in sufficient numbers, which it looks like they are serious about). They are trying to sell it as an SUV but it is 18" shorter than a Model 3, and only 4.2 inches taller. Still wish it was a proper hatch and was a lower ride, but I would still give it serious consideration if I was in the market (and I hate SUVs).

Honestly the Volvo EX30 will probably be a huge Model 3 competitor (if they can make it in sufficient numbers, which it looks like they are serious about). They are trying to sell it as an SUV but it is 18" shorter than a Model 3, and only 4.2 inches taller. Still wish it was a proper hatch and was a lower ride, but I would still give it serious consideration if I was in the market (and I hate SUVs).
It can only compete if it get the tax credit. But I think it’s too small for the American market.

It can only compete if it get the tax credit. But I think it’s too small for the American market.
Easy way to get around it. Volvo typically gives the credit as a lease bonus. All people have to do is just lease it to get the money off the cap cost.

Then they can either keep it as a lease, buy it out at the end of the lease, or if money factor isn’t great vs financing rates, they can buy it out early and refinance it with their local bank or credit union at a better rate.

Reactions: EbS-P
The small but long-range EV segment of the US market is severely under-served. Sure, SUVs and pickups sell a lot better, but this is a huge country, there are still many millions of people that want a car-sized car. If I want an EV today I have several large pickups, and about 20 CUVs and SUVs to choose from. If I want a small but long-range car shaped EV I have about 2-4 choices today at best (Model 3, Ioniq 6, and perhaps a Polestar 2). I don't really include the Bolt since it is going away and has such low charging speed.