Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Yoke Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had the Plaid for 6-8 weeks now, I’m used to the yoke, and indifferent about it. Not a big deal at all.

I have a 488, which also has no stalks and has buttons and dials everywhere on the steering wheel. The turn signals are hard buttons and they are more-or-less in the same location - a natural press from where your thumb would be if your hands are at 9 & 3; however, the Ferrari has one button on the left and one on the right.

Like the Tesla, it took some getting used to, but after a bit it was easy to use, even when the buttons are upside down which happens when making one turn very soon after another. Now, I actually prefer the turn signals on the steering wheel.

Funny story - now that I’m used to the Plaid, which is my daily driver, the other day I took the Ferrari out for a sunny-day drive with the top down. I need to change lanes to the RIGHT, and without thinking about it I hit the button on the LEFT because that is where they are on the Plaid. :)
I’ve done this more than once. Definitely a first-world problem.

As an aside, the Ferrari also has the horn on the wheel, just above your thumbs on the rim of the steering wheel. It’s rare that I need to use it, but my first shot is always at the airbag in the center. For whatever reason, I don’t have the same issue w/ the Tesla horn.

Reactions: SVL77 and jaguar36
I’ve had the Plaid for 6-8 weeks now, I’m used to the yoke, and indifferent about it. Not a big deal at all.

I have a 488, which also has no stalks and has buttons and dials everywhere on the steering wheel. The turn signals are hard buttons and they are more-or-less in the same location - a natural press from where your thumb would be if your hands are at 9 & 3; however, the Ferrari has one button on the left and one on the right.

Like the Tesla, it took some getting used to, but after a bit it was easy to use, even when the buttons are upside down which happens when making one turn very soon after another. Now, I actually prefer the turn signals on the steering wheel.

Funny story - now that I’m used to the Plaid, which is my daily driver, the other day I took the Ferrari out for a sunny-day drive with the top down. I need to change lanes to the RIGHT, and without thinking about it I hit the button on the LEFT because that is where they are on the Plaid. :)
I’ve done this more than once. Definitely a first-world problem.

As an aside, the Ferrari also has the horn on the wheel, just above your thumbs on the rim of the steering wheel. It’s rare that I need to use it, but my first shot is always at the airbag in the center. For whatever reason, I don’t have the same issue w/ the Tesla horn.

Update - now that I've had the Plaid for ~8 months, I'm actually more used to the yolk than round steering wheels. My wife has a MX P100D, when I drive it, the wheel feels foreign to me - even though I had exactly the same wheel on my last 3 MSs

Update - now that I've had the Plaid for ~8 months, I'm actually more used to the yolk than round steering wheels. My wife has a MX P100D, when I drive it, the wheel feels foreign to me - even though I had exactly the same wheel on my last 3 MSs
In a perfect world everybody would get the solution that's best for them but let it be known that there are people that prefer the yoke to the wheel and would not opt for a wheel if given the chance.

Now if we could just get the center of the yolk to work as the horn!

Reactions: Boza
In a perfect world everybody would get the solution that's best for them but let it be known that there are people that prefer the yoke to the wheel and would not opt for a wheel if given the chance.

Now if we could just get the center of the yolk to work as the horn!
Similarly, there will be people who prefer the wheel over yoke. I was planning on Plaid upgrade and the yoke was the deal breaker.
Such drastic change in critical control requires optionality.
As a side note, Ferrari is not known for their ergonomics :)

Reactions: Wol747
Have had my Plaid for 2 weeks now...and I'm 95% acclimated to the yoke. The process has formed a theory in my mind: The car is so uniquely powerful, it's prudent that the primary driver touchpoint requires some attention and mindfulness. It is a visual and tactile reminder that unless you are Lewis Hamilton, this is a machine with power that you are not accustomed to. The 5% that I am not acclimated to keeps me a bit more focused than I might not otherwise be.

Think this was part of Tesla's logic, or just 100% marketing? 🤔
This is the best review of the Yoke I've ever read