Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"This vin number is not valid."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having trouble getting a quote through the Tesla app? For some reason, Tesla does not have an entire data base for all VIN numbers. I was able to get a quote for my Model Y and Ford F250, but it couldn't find my 2018 Subaru Crosstrek.

I have the same problem with my Kia EV6. I called customer service to add request the VIN added to their database. I originally called 1 weekend ago, called back today and it's still not added yet. I was on hold for 20min each time.

I'd use another insurance company if you can find cheaper coverage elsewhere. I'm only trying to get their insurance because I have a recent accident on my records and their rates are somewhat cheaper.

My teenage son just started driving and so my quoted rates skyrocketed. I started to fill out information in the Tesla app for a quote because *amazingly* they do NOT take driver age into consideration - only the safety rating - even if he is NOT primarily driving the Tesla.

BUT - I had the same issue. The VIN# for the used Toyota RAV4 that he is driving is not in Tesla's database. The person I spoke to was very nice but basically said there is no "rhyme or reason" why some cars are not included and they couldn't provide coverage until the VIN was in their system. They said there was no way to request to have it added, it's just when the "IT process" eventually ends up adding it and to "keep checking back every few months".

It's extremely frustrating because my normal insurance is now going to increase from ~$1,000 per year to about $5,000 per year, whereas Tesla's coverage would only be a fractional increase.

I have been trying to get a quote from Tesla Insurance for my 2022 MYLR through the APP. I all goes well until the 'Enter VIN'. No matter what I do (Paste VIN from the vehicle details in the APP, read and type from the windshield notice, paste from the DMV site) , it comes back with an error message 'This Vin Number is not valid'. I have been trying again and again for 1 week now. After 50' wait on the Tesla phone number (1-844-348-3752) for the insurance, I was told that it does not handle new quotes.
Any suggestion on how to get a quote from Tesla Insurance?
NB: in the attached screenshot, I blanked out the VIN number.

Attachments

• Tesla-Insurance-VIN.jpg
    Tesla-Insurance-VIN.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 219