Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thule 3130 kit install: drilling/thread cutting required?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 Model S with sunroof and fixed mounts on which I'm trying to install Thule's 3130 kit. There's a step that illustrated using a thread cutting bolt to cut threads in the mounts. My (preowned) Model S already has threads in the mounting location, but they're for much smaller hardware than the studs that come with the kit.

Am I really supposed to drill/ream that out to a larger size? It looks like the stud is so thick that the hole would start to take away a bit of the mounting bracket holding the thicker material to be threaded. Were these shipped with no threads (or maybe holes) at all?

Attachments

• 9DEC25AE-47B1-42E4-B816-FFEF5B25AAE2.jpeg
    9DEC25AE-47B1-42E4-B816-FFEF5B25AAE2.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 43
I would think there would be a custom mounting adapter specifically for the Tesla Model S. I know other companies have mounting adapters for Teslas. I could contact Thule and double check that you weren't sent the wrong kit. Otherwise, I would send it back and go with a different company.

Upvote 0
I would not try to drill/ream them bigger, they are metal brackets attached to aluminium body. Find any other roofbar company and ask for available fixing bolts as the original size is M6 (6mm/0.23622). I had to re-thread the holes to clean the rust away. I have MontBlanc fixing kit, not specific to Tesla.
E406EE11-5B75-4698-B364-CD7C6AB55280.jpeg

Upvote 0