Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

time-of-day for charging with Puget Sound Energy (WA state)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi my friends, do you know if PSE offers any “time of the day” EV charging rate in WA? I searched their website but could not get anything. Is there any rate differences if I charge after midnight? I know it is good for the grid but also want to know if there is any rate difference. And how much does it cost for a full charge at home?
Thanks!

Hi,

PSE does not currently offer any TOU (time-of-use) rates. Several years ago they offered one, but it was set up so you'd really end up paying the same or more overall - on purpose, because of regulatory issues. They have been talking to regulators and I suspect this will change in the future, but who knows how long it will take.

As for how much you pay, it probably varies by location, but right now I (King County) pay just over 9 cents for the first 600kWh, and just over 11 cents over that. (Plus I choose to pay an extra cent to help pay for green power buildout). If you average 3 miles per kWh (hopefully you will do a little better than that, but there is charging overhead), and you drive 1,000 miles a month, that's 333kWh. At 11 cents each, that's $36 and change a month.

For a "full charge" (not that I've ever done one), let's see, I think 72kWh are available in the Y battery. Say 80kWh with charging overhead. So $8.80 for a "full charge"?

• Helpful
Reactions: gundarx
Hi,

PSE does not currently offer any TOU (time-of-use) rates. Several years ago they offered one, but it was set up so you'd really end up paying the same or more overall - on purpose, because of regulatory issues. They have been talking to regulators and I suspect this will change in the future, but who knows how long it will take.

As for how much you pay, it probably varies by location, but right now I (King County) pay just over 9 cents for the first 600kWh, and just over 11 cents over that. (Plus I choose to pay an extra cent to help pay for green power buildout). If you average 3 miles per kWh (hopefully you will do a little better than that, but there is charging overhead), and you drive 1,000 miles a month, that's 333kWh. At 11 cents each, that's $36 and change a month.

For a "full charge" (not that I've ever done one), let's see, I think 72kWh are available in the Y battery. Say 80kWh with charging overhead. So $8.80 for a "full charge"?

Thank you for the information! I’m also in King county! I guess that I will just charge during the midnight and reduce the load to the neighborhood grid.