Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint or No Tint

Did you Tint your MX Windshield?

• Yes

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Yes, Happy I tinted

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Yes, Unhappy I tinted

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thinking about it

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Ceramic

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Other tint

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Bayx,

Probably not an exact answer to your question...
I had mine tinted from where the visor normally is all the way back
to over my head.
I have sensitive eyes and driving with the sun in my eyes through
the roof even in Michigan hurts...
I am very happy that I had it tinted...
I can drive comfortably most of the time without sunglasses.

Shawn

Reactions: sacfan
Hi Bayx,

Probably not an exact answer to your question...
I had mine tinted from where the visor normally is all the way back
to over my head.
I have sensitive eyes and driving with the sun in my eyes through
the roof even in Michigan hurts...
I am very happy that I had it tinted...
I can drive comfortably most of the time without sunglasses.

Shawn

I did the same and glad I did.

Reactions: sacfan
I know I am in a very small minority, but I hate the huge windshield. I was told it was illegal to tint your windshield more than the top 6" in Georgia. I am glad it was, that meant I needed to look for other solutions. I ended up buying a 2 piece windshield sunscreen. I leave the top half in place permanently so that the top half of my windshield is totally opaque. I prefer it being opaque rather than tinted, because part of my issue with the large windshield was it was giving me motion sickness. That went away when I no longer had that upper view.

I know I am in a very small minority, but I hate the huge windshield. I was told it was illegal to tint your windshield more than the top 6" in Georgia. I am glad it was, that meant I needed to look for other solutions. I ended up buying a 2 piece windshield sunscreen. I leave the top half in place permanently so that the top half of my windshield is totally opaque. I prefer it being opaque rather than tinted, because part of my issue with the large windshield was it was giving me motion sickness. That went away when I no longer had that upper view.
Pic?

Sunshades: Tesla Model X

If I remember correctly you have to buy the Sunroof 3 piece to get the top half of the winshield. The Front Windshield that Evannex sells is only the bottom half of the X's windshield. The top half and the little sunroof pieces all hold on using suction cups. I then have the Tesla provided mesh windshield sunscreen placed on top of the Evannex heatshield for extra holding power and maybe slightly better looks. I put mine in at the end of last December and they have remained there now for 11 months with no issues.

I am away from my car now so no pictures at this time, but I am not the first to do this. I got the idea from someone else that had a video describing it. Evannex also has some pictures of both the pieces in place on their web site. Hopefully the link above will go right to the pictures.

This is the video I based my decision on. At about 1:45 the heatshield is decribed.

Last edited:
Hi Bayx, Yoitskenn, and others,

I got a picture this afternoon of my upper tinted windshield.

Tinted-Windshield.jpg

It starts right where the visor attaches. It works well for me. It's too dark to try for a picture from outside of the car.

Shawn

Reactions: bayx
I had 90% tints on my 2017, the ghosting with 70% on my 2019 is pretty bad. Sorry the two piece tint is not my cup of tea[/QU
I had 90% tints on my 2017, the ghosting with 70% on my 2019 is pretty bad. Sorry the two piece tint is not my cup of tea

Ghosting? Global Window Films makes a very high quality ceramic tint. Ghosting has never been an issue and we've installed plenty of it here in South Carolina. Was your tint applied by an experienced installer? It's one piece or go home!

80% ceramic on my X done by Chicago Auto Pros for $850. Looks good and I no longer need to drive with sun glasses. No ghosting. You cannot tell there is any tint at all. However, I wasn't told that tinting the (entire) front windshield is not legal for Pennsylvania residents. Now I have to decide if I should inform the state inspection mechanic of the tint or just try to deal with the eventuality of removing the old sticker (at the next inspection) withOUT destroying the tint with a razor blade. Removing the first sticker in-tacked from a pure glass windshield was easy for the tint installers and I later laminated it and used glued dots to re-attach it to the tinted windshield.