Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'23 MX Window Tint Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my brand new MX Ultra Red to a local tint shop for my window tinting. The shop only carries Llumar film. They gave me a quote for $400 for full tint except windshields and top of FWD. They use Llumar ATR, if I want to Llumar CTX (ceramic), it costs $300 more. Is it really cost that much extra for the ceramic film? The labor for installation should be the same no matter what kind of film you got. Should I just stick with the ATR to save $300? Also, what %tint you recommend for front + back and rear window?

#1 - No reason to double tint the new Tesla glass, it already has tons of heat & UV rejection.

#2 - Yes, ceramic films are worth it because they are functional (reject heat/UV/IR) vs just looking dark for privacy. Darkness is up to you, but here's a good video comparing day/night %.

#3 - You do NOT want the ATR series (Metallized Window Tint) this can cause issues with cellular signals, vehicle communications (WiFi) and radar detectors if you use one.

#4 - I just did my Ultra Red X fronts in 20% ceramic to match the rears for $200. Between 15-20% you wont really tell the difference, whatever shade is available in your film type. For the windshield I went with XPEL XR Plus 70% for $650. These are VERY expensive to do in a full 1-piece. Most places in the NJ/PA quoted $550-1200 in ceramic film.

IMO I wouldn't go any darker than about 50% on the windshield and 15-20% on the front side glass. I had to turn off the Auto-dimming mirror option because with the 20% on mine I couldn't see anything on the side mirror when they dim at night, but its fine with the tint alone. I would not put any more tint on the rear glass unless you're an owl if you want to see anything at night. 🦉

Note: LLumar Auto Film spec sheet attached. CTX, IRX or AIR series films are the only ones I would put on my vehicles.

Attachments

• llumar-automotive-window-film-performance-data.pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0108.jpeg
    IMG_0108.jpeg
    793 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0198.jpeg
    IMG_0198.jpeg
    689.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Thanks @NJturtlePower thats very informative. My car is in for a PPF and he offered me a bunch of window time and ceramic options but I had no idea what to get. He was saying a lot of people do the ceramic on the rear and back sides/fwd top to cut out heat, but sounds like factory already does that from the video you posted. Was this just in the latest models?

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Thanks @NJturtlePower thats very informative. My car is in for a PPF and he offered me a bunch of window time and ceramic options but I had no idea what to get. He was saying a lot of people do the ceramic on the rear and back sides/fwd top to cut out heat, but sounds like factory already does that from the video you posted. Was this just in the latest models?
Yes, especially the latest Tesla models. A shop will of course take you're money either way and I doubt stay up to date on any changes over the years.

This is the first X I've owned, but I had two Model 3's prior.... 2018 LR RWD and a 2019 Performance.

Here's a metered example on the Model Y.

Reactions: TallCoolOne
Yes, especially the latest Tesla models. A shop will of course take you're money either way and I doubt stay up to date on any changes over the years.

This is the first X I've owned, but I had two Model 3's prior.... 2018 LR RWD and a 2019 Performance.

Here's a metered example on the Model Y.

Great info thanks. Did your shop remove the front camera on the windshield to do the tinting or did they cut the film and tint around it? I’ve been doing 50% IRX/CTX on the ws on my last 2-3 cars and I love it. Prob do the same for my new MX.

A good job will likely outlast your ownership of the car so don't try to save money. Do your research, ask for 3M (IMO) and get the best job no matter how much they want to do it.

It's SUCH a PITA to have to complain, go back possibly numerous times because you tried to get the lowest price.

Good tint people are worth it - if you've ever tried it you'll know.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
#1 - No reason to double tint the new Tesla glass, it already has tons of heat & UV rejection.

#2 - Yes, ceramic films are worth it because they are functional (reject heat/UV/IR) vs just looking dark for privacy. Darkness is up to you, but here's a good video comparing day/night %.

#3 - You do NOT want the ATR series (Metallized Window Tint) this can cause issues with cellular signals, vehicle communications (WiFi) and radar detectors if you use one.

#4 - I just did my Ultra Red X fronts in 20% ceramic to match the rears for $200. Between 15-20% you wont really tell the difference, whatever shade is available in your film type. For the windshield I went with XPEL XR Plus 70% for $650. These are VERY expensive to do in a full 1-piece. Most places in the NJ/PA quoted $550-1200 in ceramic film.

IMO I wouldn't go any darker than about 50% on the windshield and 15-20% on the front side glass. I had to turn off the Auto-dimming mirror option because with the 20% on mine I couldn't see anything on the side mirror when they dim at night, but its fine with the tint alone. I would not put any more tint on the rear glass unless you're an owl if you want to see anything at night. 🦉

Note: LLumar Auto Film spec sheet attached. CTX, IRX or AIR series films are the only ones I would put on my vehicles.
Thanks for the very informative post TurtlePower! Would you mind sharing the shop you used? I'm also in NJ (North) and looking to do the windows on my X. I've call around for estimates, it seems many shops don't tint the windshield for whatever reason. I got 2 quotes I may go with, 1 shop uses Xpel while the other uses Llumar, about $200 more for the Llumar shop. I have Llumar on the front on my 16' S, no issues with them at all. The shop that installed those does not do the windshield.