Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tioga Pass - Model S 85 -- Is it doable??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning to do a trip over Tioga Pass in the Sierras, I have a Model S 85 with estimated battery range 257 mi when fully charged (but that's estimating flat highway, I suspect). Planning a trip over Hwy 120 through the Tioga pass, fully charging to 100% at Groveland Supercharger, then heading over Tioga Pass Hwy 120 to Mammoth Lakes Super Charger - a trip of 118mi up and down the mountain roads. Has anyone done this in a Model S that could give me an idea if this will work in an S 85, or if I should take my ICE vehicle?

I'm planning to do a trip over Tioga Pass in the Sierras, I have a Model S 85 with estimated battery range 257 mi when fully charged (but that's estimating flat highway, I suspect). Planning a trip over Hwy 120 through the Tioga pass, fully charging to 100% at Groveland Supercharger, then heading over Tioga Pass Hwy 120 to Mammoth Lakes Super Charger - a trip of 118mi up and down the mountain roads. Has anyone done this in a Model S that could give me an idea if this will work in an S 85, or if I should take my ICE vehicle?
I’ve done that several times in an S75 and 100% charge is definitely unnecessary.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jazz3D and KrenGrl
We did a tour of 3 mountain passes in the Swiss Alps last year, S85. The really twisty stuff.
Tesla and Abetterrouteplanner helped. They said 54% at the first mountain pass top for only 1/3 of the full distance, so I was more than sceptic if we can make it back.
2 passes further, still 51% and back in the hotel with the SOC the trip planner told us before.
Down"hill" really charges the battery, the route planners take the elevation into their computation.

Those used to driving at sea level may find that they tend to get better range when driving at high altitude, even at the same speeds. This is due to reduced drag from thinner air (fewer air molecules to push out of the way). If also driving curvy mountain roads at slower speed, as opposed to freeway speed, that will also greatly increase range.

Mountain driving tends to be easier on range than one might expect.

Reactions: MickY and ohmman
Also, too, moreover, and in addition, the speed limit along Tioga Road is 45. The odds are also pretty good that for some of the stretch you will be following someone driving a camper or RV. There will be all the lookie-los gawking at the fabulous scenery and driving 30. People will be slowing down to find places to turn out and take pictures. Fact is, your average speed from Crane Flat to the summit will be closer to 30-35 MPH.

Downhill from the summit to the junction with US395 descends about 3,200 feet over ~15 miles. From there to Mammoth is mostly flat until you head into town.

I would suggest that you stop at the filling station at the junction with US395 and feast on some delicious fare at the Whoa Nellie Deli. Also, to reach Mammoth from US395, most would take SR203 east off 395. I would consider taking the Mammoth Scenic Loop instead. That is a nice drive through the woods and places you smack-dab in the center of town. It is the hypotenuse of a sorta right triangle, so saves a few miles.

We did a tour of 3 mountain passes in the Swiss Alps last year, S85. The really twisty stuff.
Tesla and Abetterrouteplanner helped. They said 54% at the first mountain pass top for only 1/3 of the full distance, so I was more than sceptic if we can make it back.
2 passes further, still 51% and back in the hotel with the SOC the trip planner told us before.
Down"hill" really charges the battery, the route planners take the elevation into their computation.
Thanks!!

Have you tried using the EV Trip Planner app? It’s pretty good at estimating these kind of things.
Great! Getting lots of good replies. I tried a couple of the trip planners but was unsure if what they told me was considering the energy burn of the elevation changes. Looks line the S85 is gonna be going for a mountain ride!! I’ll post my results after the trip!

Reactions: Jazz3D and KrenGrl
Also, too, moreover, and in addition, the speed limit along Tioga Road is 45. The odds are also pretty good that for some of the stretch you will be following someone driving a camper or RV. There will be all the lookie-los gawking at the fabulous scenery and driving 30. People will be slowing down to find places to turn out and take pictures. Fact is, your average speed from Crane Flat to the summit will be closer to 30-35 MPH.

Downhill from the summit to the junction with US395 descends about 3,200 feet over ~15 miles. From there to Mammoth is mostly flat until you head into town.

I would suggest that you stop at the filling station at the junction with US395 and feast on some delicious fare at the Whoa Nellie Deli. Also, to reach Mammoth from US395, most would take SR203 east off 395. I would consider taking the Mammoth Scenic Loop instead. That is a nice drive through the woods and places you smack-dab in the center of town. It is the hypotenuse of a sorta right triangle, so saves a few miles.

I did a trip in my S85 last year from Fremont to Lone Pine, stopped at Groveland and Mammoth SCs. No problem with range. You will recover much of your expended energy from the climb when you descend. I think I went from Groveland all the way to Lone Pine but coming back, I did SC at Mammoth lakes and a shorter charge at Groveland, then to Manteca and home.

Climbing the mountain will burn extra energy, but you'll pick up energy going back down the other side. I put in an S 85 into the EV Trip Planner and it says 118 miles and you should use about 125 rated miles. No big deal really.

I'm still learning how to make sense of those apps. I guess I wasn't understanding if it was taking the elevation changes into consideration in calculating the range/outcomes.

I did this trip in my MS85 last year to Lone Pine and back. No problems at all. You will get a lot of regen coasting downhill after the hi mountains. Groveland supercharger has a nice deli across the street for lunch.

Thanks for the reply! Good to hear all the positive feedback that others have done this and had plenty of reserve. I still have lots of range anxiety when it comes to longish trips or stretches of MAJOR elevation changes.

Those used to driving at sea level may find that they tend to get better range when driving at high altitude, even at the same speeds. This is due to reduced drag from thinner air (fewer air molecules to push out of the way). If also driving curvy mountain roads at slower speed, as opposed to freeway speed, that will also greatly increase range.

Mountain driving tends to be easier on range than one might expect.

That's true about the air being thinner... though I'm not sure how much wind resistance I'll get at 35mph on those winding roads!! Great observation though! I'm looking forward to seeing how much regenerative braking gives me back as I drive the downward portions of the Tioga Pass!

That's true about the air being thinner... though I'm not sure how much wind resistance I'll get at 35mph on those winding roads!! Great observation though! I'm looking forward to seeing how much regenerative braking gives me back as I drive the downward portions of the Tioga Pass!
You are correct that the low speeds over much of the route will be the dominant factor since that greatly increases range due to reduced drag. This is why others here have said that your proposed route is easy to do (no need to charge to 100% at Groveland Supercharger!). I could make your proposed route in my old S-60 with 176 RM total range.

There are mountain routes that are driven at freeway speeds, such as I-80 over Donner Pass (7,056 ft; 2,151 m) and I-70 via the Eisenhower Tunnel (11,158 feet; 3,401 m), where the reduced air density extends range, versus a similar route at sea level. In general, driving at high altitude gives better range than that projected by Tesla's navigation. The trick is to make sure that one has enough charge to get to the top of the pass, rather than focus just on the destination charge level, as one usually does when not driving in the mountains.

For your amusement, an elevation plot of your intended route between the two Supercharger Stations:

Groveland CA to Mammoth Lakes CA.png

Enjoy your trip!

• Love
Reactions: MickY and CaryRx