Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for a frequent long-distance driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we've just ordered 4 x M3 Performance at work and are all mega excited about them arriving! I'm keeping tabs on delivery movements etc on here and everyone seems really helpful - still looks like we're not going to have a clue as to when they will arrive but if anyone has ordered around the same time let me know (we placed our orders on Friday of last week - 7th Feb 2020).

Anyway, I live in Macclesfield, Cheshire and frequently travel down to Birmingham/Coventry, etc, and back, for work (perhaps 2/3 times a week). On a typical 'big day out' I will be clocking around 240-250 miles, mostly on the motorway.

I know the predicted range is 300+ so, in theory, I should be fine, but I have read lots of posts saying to not frequently charge to 100% unless doing a 'roadtrip'. My issue is that each day I commute down to the midlands, I will effectively be doing a roadtrip. Should I be charging to 100% or is it a real no-go to do this frequently? I'm very interested in preserving the life of the battery but at the end of the day, it is a lease car that will be going back in 3 years.

I know there are superchargers on my route (the M6 is getting much better as far as I've seen), but I don't really want to have to rely on these if my car should see me through the whole journey.
I commute 100 miles a day (50 each way).
In the winter that costs me about 50% of a charge. In the summer it’s about 40%.
I do not drive slowly, especially on the way to work as the motorways tend to be fairly clear at 5am (I won’t say anything else on the grounds that I may incriminate myself). ;)
So realistically I do my maths with 100% getting me 200 miles at worst.
I agree that charging to 100% is probably not a terrible thing provided you don’t keep it there for long, but it’s almost inevitable that you’ll need a short SuC break. :)

Reactions: Roy W.
Didn't disagree at all just hit the button while scrolling the screen as usual.
Should have a confirm stage to like, disagree, etc buttons.
Lol!

I disagree with even having a disagree button. There’s enough negativity in the world.

Fortunately it toggles so if you poke it again it will go away. Not that I really care anymore now I know you’re not angry.

Reactions: Bongy and Roy W.
I know the predicted range is 300+

Nah, sorry. Real World Motorway range will be 240 miles. A 3 year old car that has done high mileage will have lost, say, 7% of range / battery degradation

I travel to a number of locations throughout the day visiting customers so there is no single destination

Sadly that's a problem in Winter. Each stop (of an hour or more) will allow the battery to get cold, and you will incur the set-off energy penalty. A single long journey in Winter has the benefit of a warm battery for most of it (or all of it if you pre-condition the car from shore-power before departure)

Increasingly you should expect to find some charging at your destination, but that's no consolation for those sites that are slow to provide that ... I am merciless at finding 13 AMP sockets lying about at my destination. Extension cable out of window at hotel ... all sorts like that.

It works out better to drive faster, and Supercharge longer (that works up to about 90 MPH), as the overall journey is less elapsed time. But avoiding stopping altogether is better still ...

if you have to stop then do so with the battery as low as possible. Fastest charging is in range 10% - 70%. Charging to 80% is not significantly slower, but above that is much slower; but you only need enough to complete your journey (unlike "fill the tank" with Fossil fuel). Personally I want enough range to get to client, and then charge on return journey (where some delay is my problem and not impacting on my client-visit).

If you have to do emails when you get home then doing them whilst charging makes it time-neutral, so maybe that would be acceptable ...