Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for CarPro UK 3.0 Ceramic Coating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
I posted some questions over in the Model X forum about installing ceramic coating but not as much activity or DIYers over there as here :)

It's gonna be about 65 - 70 F tomorrow, what would guess is time to "Flash"?
What happens if you wipe too early?
What happens if you wipe too late?

All things cars, glass or detailing says use "Lint free" microfiber clothes. A lot of them say that, but I see lint all the time with them no matter which brand (all from Walmart, not expensive). But it's usually harmless doing glass etc. It does not stick. Are these bad to use for this application?

I did buy some lint free cloths, that look very different that are made for glass or navigation screens. But I could only buy a few, not sure if it's enough.

After reading a ton of questions on Amazon I'm convinced not to do the plastic. One person made a good point. If you don't like the finish on paint you can buff it off. But once on textured plastic it's on for life. So how do I prevent getting on the plastic. I've never had much luck taping things off as what ever I'm trying to block wicks under the tape. Also every time anyone asked on Amazon Q&A about glass, wheels, plastic, the answer was to use a different CarPro product, I forget the name.

I have a garage, that I could heat. But I'd like to avoid the fumes. I do have a tired spray paint mask. But I've not been able to refresh it since COVID. So thinking of doing it outside with good light. Supposed to be cloudy. Supposedly sun is bad. Or I could do it in the garage with doors and windows open. I'll wear my mask no matter what. What do you think would be best?

One other tip I read was to warm the bottle if it's on the cool side.

They recommend 2 ft by 2 ft patches. Lot's of detail stuff recommends that. But I always do more. Do you think it's safe to do half a hood in one shot?

Specific to CarPro. Directions say use Reload within 60 mins of the last coat. One person did and he said it turned cloudy. I'd like to get 2 coats and reload done in one day. It says if you can apply next coat within 60 min, you're fine. Otherwise you need to wait for full cure (24-48 hrs). Prepping is all done except alcohol wipe down. I did not polish the car, it looks great. I can't see a single swirl, very hard to see on Midnight Silver. If it was Red or Black it would probably need polish.

Any tips appreciated.

Last edited:
I've done UK 3.0 on 2 different model 3's, its pretty hard to mess up, it flashes pretty quickly, but be careful, if you are sloppy you will get streaks in areas you miss. Be careful not to get it on the glass because it will streak and is very difficult to remove. I learned from my mistakes and taped off the window edges and the chrome trim the second time around.

As far as doing two coats, since i was being careful, it took me longer than an hour to apply the coating to the entire car so I basically waited 24 hours and did the second coat the next day and then applied reload 24 hrs after that. Basically the car was in the garage the entire weekend.

Check this video out, should give you all the info you need on how to do it.

I picked up some extra carpro microfiber towels for removing the product as well since they only give you 2 in the package. I did 2 coats using 2 of these towels per coat. You will need to throw them out after use.These are super low lint and made precisely for this job.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0771TBCLY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_4zNJFbNPDPM8M

Good luck!

I use the Kirkland (costco) yellow microfiber towels. 17.00 for 36 pack. You wash them with a free and clear laundry soap before to get excess lint off. I’ve done 10 cars in ceramic and now recently graphene. I just do it for fun on the side. Never used car pro products. I like gtechniq crystal serum light the you top it with EXO by gtechniq because that product is safe for plastic,metal, and glass. Beads up and is super slick.

do it in the garage not outside you can get by with door open. Look for rainbow effect then wipe. I live in fl if it’s too humid it flashes in like 20 sec. I’d assume that cold closer to a min of flash time. Did you buy a strip car was ( clean slate by chemical guys) and a alcohol based panel wipe for the vehicle prior to coating?

• Love
Reactions: Be123
I use the Kirkland (costco) yellow microfiber towels. 17.00 for 36 pack. You wash them with a free and clear laundry soap before to get excess lint off. I’ve done 10 cars in ceramic and now recently graphene. I just do it for fun on the side. Never used car pro products. I like gtechniq crystal serum light the you top it with EXO by gtechniq because that product is safe for plastic,metal, and glass. Beads up and is super slick.

do it in the garage not outside you can get by with door open. Look for rainbow effect then wipe. I live in fl if it’s too humid it flashes in like 20 sec. I’d assume that cold closer to a min of flash time. Did you buy a strip car was ( clean slate by chemical guys) and a alcohol based panel wipe for the vehicle prior to coating?

I washed it normally, then used bug remover, washed that off and they clayed. And will do alcohol just before applying. It’s never been waxed or anything. Looks like new.

Why in garage? Lighting would be really nice outside bit more space to work. Not sunny or to hot.

Are you concerned something in the air gets in it? If it ended up 24 hr coats I’d move it in garage while curing.

Done.

Took about 2.5 hrs for alcohol wipe and 2 coats. I did way more than 2x2. I did one door, then the next, then go back to first door and buff out and then buff out the next. It was 70F out. I think this temp gave a lot of leeway. I was waiting too long and wasting too much time while could be doing the section. Took like 1 hr 10 min to do first coat. Would have gone quicker if I “pipelined” it from the start.

The supplied lint free cloth was nice. Used it for the whole first coat. It was getting a smudgey towards the end. 2nd coat I used cheap micro fibers (not lint free) and they were fine.

Used less than half a bottle.

Not sure if I’ll do Reload.

I did see a few tar spots or bug smudges I missed. No biggy.

I considered taping off but that could take hours along. So I skipped it. No regrets. If I saw some on plastic, I wiped it off with alcohol.

Total job about 4.5hrs. No polishing.