Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for removing front license plate mount applied over PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wnuk

Jul 9, 2017
PA
Bought a used M3 that the previous owner installed a stick on type license plate bracket over Xpel PPF. I’d like to remove it but am afraid that pulling the tape off may also damage the Xpel. Any suggestions on how to remove it safely?

Thanks

Bought a used M3 that the previous owner installed a stick on type license plate bracket over Xpel PPF. I’d like to remove it but am afraid that pulling the tape off may also damage the Xpel. Any suggestions on how to remove it safely?

Thanks
Did this work out? The owner of my model 3 put the license plate bracket on XPEL as well. Well actually I did it. As of July 1st Ohio no longer requires front plates! So I want to remove my front plates.

I was considering using a heat gun vs fishing line.

Last edited:
Just a follow up. After my wife left I just went out to the garage and jerked it off. Now I have to clean up the aftermath in the picture below.
IMG_5448b.jpg

I looked again here XPEL | Help | Frequently Asked Questions and finally found what I was looking for
XPEL Film Cleaner is generally designed to remove dirt, grime and oils from paint protection film that lead to yellowing over time. To remove stains from other substances such as insects, bird droppings or other compounds, use acetone or lacquer thinner with a soft microfiber cloth.
I have a lot of acetone so acetone it is! Of course I'll manually remove as much as possible before I put the acetone to it.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
I never did attempt to remove it, was concerned about damaging the PPF so left it on.

But my PPF on the front bumper was damaged by a flying hubcap so it will get replaced soon anyhow and the installer will remove it for me.

I never did attempt to remove it, was concerned about damaging the PPF so left it on.

But my PPF on the front bumper was damaged by a flying hubcap so it will get replaced soon anyhow and the installer will remove it for me.
Did it save the paint underneath? I beat up my last car's XPEL pretty bad but it always protected the paint, It took a small 2x4 once but never a hub cap. Congrats on killing two birds with one stone.

I pulled on that plate cover really hard so the PPF can really take it. I think I'm going to use a plastic putty knife to try to roll the worst off before the acetone and put the car out in the sun to remove any PPF scratches.

Yes, PPF did it’s job and protected the paint. Maybe Goo gone would work on the remaining adhesive. Acetone just sounds harsh for it.
I know but that's what XPEL's web site says to use. If it does damage it I'll file a warranty claim because I followed their instructions. :) I'd like to back my car out and do this today but it is really storming outside and I'm not into breathing acetone fumes. Whenever I finish this I'll post the damage.

I finally got this stuff off. I originally tried rolling it off with my finger and it was too slow. I grabbed a paper towel and wadded it up in my hand and rubbed it off with that. Went through a couple towels but only took a couple minutes to get 99% off it.
I used acetone to clean the rest of it up and it looks great. I still have bug guts all over the front of the car.
IMG_5451a.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: KenC and Wnuk
I am also in Ohio. My car has Suntek Clear Bra on it. I used a poly twine (like you’d get a Lowe’s to tie stuff down) and slipped that behind my OEM license plate frame. I also poured some hot water behind there as I worked. It took maybe 5 minutes to get the entire frame off with almost no residue. Little goo gone cleaned what was left. Looks like it was never there. Film and paint look perfect.

I am also in Ohio. My car has Suntek Clear Bra on it. I used a poly twine (like you’d get a Lowe’s to tie stuff down) and slipped that behind my OEM license plate frame. I also poured some hot water behind there as I worked. It took maybe 5 minutes to get the entire frame off with almost no residue. Little goo gone cleaned what was left. Looks like it was never there. Film and paint look perfect.
I have goo gone as well but XPEL says to use acetone so I stuck to their instructions. I am keeping all the front plate parts and plate just in case Ohio changes the law next year. Now if I can just get rid of the prop up reactor/coal fee that was added to my electric bill last year I’ll be pretty happy with Ohio, I’m hopeful that changes since the speaker of the house in Ohio indirectly just went down for that.

I have goo gone as well but XPEL says to use acetone so I stuck to their instructions. I am keeping all the front plate parts and plate just in case Ohio changes the law next year. Now if I can just get rid of the prop up reactor/coal fee that was added to my electric bill last year I’ll be pretty happy with Ohio, I’m hopeful that changes since the speaker of the house in Ohio indirectly just went down for that.

I line in Ohio and wasn't aware they have changed the from license plate rule (again!). Thanks.

I can't get terribly upset about the EV tax on the registration - $200 is about what I would have paid in gasoline taxes and I enjoy driving on paved roads, so I don't mind paying my share for upkeep.

I can't get terribly upset about the EV tax on the registration - $200 is about what I would have paid in gasoline taxes and I enjoy driving on paved roads, so I don't mind paying my share for upkeep.
I was talking about the monthly electric fee everyone in Ohio pays to prop up nuclear and coal power plants. The info that came out over the past week has shown how bad that cesspool was that managed to get that in place.

I was talking about the monthly electric fee everyone in Ohio pays to prop up nuclear and coal power plants. The info that came out over the past week has shown how bad that cesspool was that managed to get that in place.

Ah, I see what you mean. I admit to not knowing enough about the contents of the bill to be for or against it. But yes, the process that put it in place seems extremely seedy.

Ah, I see what you mean. I admit to not knowing enough about the contents of the bill to be for or against it. But yes, the process that put it in place seems extremely seedy.
Basically 60 million dollar bribery and in return the taxpayers of Ohio are charged over 1 billion dollars on their electric bills over the years. That's a pretty good return on investment.
Here is a good read on it if you are interested. Ohio House speaker, 4 others arrested in $60M bribery case
The powerful Republican speaker of the Ohio House and four associates have been arrested in a $60 million federal bribery case connected to a taxpayer-funded bailout of Ohio’s two nuclear power plants

But hey at least I got my front plate off.

Reactions: Aellinsar
Did this work out? The owner of my model 3 put the license plate bracket on XPEL as well. Well actually I did it. As of July 1st Ohio no longer requires front plates! So I want to remove my front plates.

I was considering using a heat gun vs fishing line.
I went to a PPF installer on how to remove something stuck to the PPF and he said to use heat and slowly peel it off.